I Disappear When You Log In - Register

 

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 374
  1. #21
    aaronavtr's Avatar
    Trusted Contributor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast U.S.
    Posts
    551

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by TimShady View Post
    PUBNAT's require you have 3 years full-time work experience, four years of college, or a combination of both. No one fresh out of high school would meet that.

    If they do open up another OTS bid just apply to it yourself. I know plenty of CTI students/graduates that were picked up OTS. Could be a blessing in disguise if it happens.
    For some reason I thought it was only 2 years of college. Thanks for the info. Having both cti and ots bids, I believe, is simply unnessesary. Just have one or the other. Here is my reasoning:

    If it were OTS only, then it works for everyone. Applicants can go to a 4 yr school of their choice. Get a degree in whatever they like and still apply for atc. Worse case senario, if they are not selected, they still have their 4 yr degree in what ever career field they chose and can go on to pursue that or get their graduate degree.

    This would eliminate the need for CTI (especially the poor kids that "major" in atc management) and cannot walk into an investment firm, construction company, or law enforcement office after graduation (because they're now waiting 2 years just to get selected) and get a job because their degree just so happens to be aviation specific.

    Example: 4 of my CTI counter parts who've waitied after graduation in 09 didn't go right into "good paying jobs". Mind you, you only have 6 months to defer your student loans before they come hunting you down. Two worked at walmart, one throws bags at an airport for little more than $9/hr, the other (who has a family) couldn't find anything and now "volunteers" at an animail shelter, cleaning dog $*%! out of their cages. All of these have 4 yr atc degrees and all of em said at one point or the other that if they could've gotten a degree in another field, they would've.

    Hence why I stated the the OTS only option. What benefit does cti really give you, a lil less time at the academy??? But still a hell of a wait just trying to get there. Either route, cti/ots still have to go to okc and learn the same $#!* in the same classes right next to each other.
    Last edited by aaronavtr; 08-18-2011 at 09:35 AM.

  2. #22
    clc
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    Don't be surprised if they some people over the age of 40, who are still eligible, and there's a few out there. In order to avoid any potential EEOC issues. There's a lot of politics in Govt jobs! Get used to it.
    Last edited by clc; 08-18-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo

  3. #23
    Trusted Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    366

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by clc View Post
    I believe It's a legal issue, called fair pracitces. It may not be what they want, but if they hire a few OTS they can avoid some potential legal issues. CYA!!
    Fair Practice? Saying they have to have an OTS pool to keep it legal is ridiculous. Think about it. I think today I will go apply to be an accountant. What you won't hire me because I don't have any accounting background. I can count and I have seen it on TV. Doesn't that count for something? No. Well be ready for a lawsuit my friend. When this doesn't work out I'm going to apply to be a CEO for a fortune 500 company. Hopefully they will just pay me instead of going to court.

    Not that I disagree with OTS, just this comment on why they should have it. I really don't care if they have it or not. But I will say that if OTS bid comes back, so should the "Throughout Nation" option and OTS should be selected after everyone else is the opportunity to accept an opening.

  4. #24
    aaronavtr's Avatar
    Trusted Contributor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast U.S.
    Posts
    551

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotvedt View Post
    But I will say that if OTS bid comes back, so should the "Throughout Nation" option and OTS should be selected after everyone else is the opportunity to accept an opening.
    CTI should also have the "throughout nation" option.

  5. #25
    DeltaLimaMike's Avatar
    Junior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    116

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    "employment diversity"

    I wish somebody could define this for me...

    From what I've heard they are only picking WQ apps anyways, so what does it matter whether you went OTS or CTI?

  6. #26
    clc
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotvedt View Post
    Fair Practice? Saying they have to have an OTS pool to keep it legal is ridiculous. Think about it. I think today I will go apply to be an accountant. What you won't hire me because I don't have any accounting background. I can count and I have seen it on TV. Doesn't that count for something? No. Well be ready for a lawsuit my friend. When this doesn't work out I'm going to apply to be a CEO for a fortune 500 company. Hopefully they will just pay me instead of going to court.

    Not that I disagree with OTS, just this comment on why they should have it. I really don't care if they have it or not. But I will say that if OTS bid comes back, so should the "Throughout Nation" option and OTS should be selected after everyone else is the opportunity to accept an opening.
    You haven't worked for the GOV before. Have you!

  7. #27
    Trusted Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    366

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    CLC, so you are saying that anyone can get hired by the Gov for anything? It is possibly a legal issue if they have an OTS pool and do not hire from the OTS pool. It is not a legal issue if they don't hire OTS when there is not a pool. They had the pool to increase the number of applicants. Now that they have more than enough of applicants. There is not a reason to have an OTS.

    Also, I was saying that if they bring OTS back. Everyone should be able to apply throughout nation.

    CLC, Do you consider the military as gov work? If so, then yes I have worked for the gov.

  8. #28
    clc
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotvedt View Post
    CLC, so you are saying that anyone can get hired by the Gov for anything? It is possibly a legal issue if they have an OTS pool and do not hire from the OTS pool. It is not a legal issue if they don't hire OTS when there is not a pool. They had the pool to increase the number of applicants. Now that they have more than enough of applicants. There is not a reason to have an OTS.

    Also, I was saying that if they bring OTS back. Everyone should be able to apply throughout nation.

    CLC, Do you consider the military as gov work? If so, then yes I have worked for the gov.
    There is an OTS pool, they created it! As for what the FAA decides as policy is seemingly done at random with the stroke of a pen. I've been dealing with them for the last 25 years, and I've seen a lot of things change. I initially applied under OPM, it took 13 years for me to get picked up ( After being told that I would never get hired, well they changed the rules, and I got hired). So, you all will have to forgive me for having no sympthay if some of you have to wait 2yrs or so to get hired. And when I referred to GOV work I was reffering to the civil aspect of things. So after 25yrs of you dealing with the FAA, come back and we will talk!

  9. #29
    PapaGolf's Avatar
    Trusted Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Biscuit
    Posts
    382

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    In regards to the 'legality' and/or 'fair practice' concerns, I got the impression that by doing this they were attempting to reach their goals in diversity, not requirements.

  10. #30
    clc
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    42

    Re: Off The Street Hiring to Return in FY2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by PapaGolf View Post
    In regards to the 'legality' and/or 'fair practice' concerns, I got the impression that by doing this they were attempting to reach their goals in diversity, not requirements.
    It's probably a combination of things..One thing I've learned. Never wonder why the FAA does what it does, You will drive yourself crazy!! Just show up for work on time. Do your job. Don't screw up. Don't make bad waves. Go home after work, have a drink forget about it until the next day!

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •