Question About Plan

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

 

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24

    Question About Plan

    Hi,
    I am hoping someone here can help me out, I am nearly 21 and have always wanted to be ATC, but because I didn't do too great in high school I didn't think I would be able to do it, I have been attending college for nearly 2 yrs , I started out with general engineering technology but realized it wasn't for me and in turn wasn't doing well with it, I talked with my advisor and disclosed my love of ATC, she then contacted the nearest university (out of state) with an air traffic management program and set me up with the pre requisites I need to transfer, I am currently finishing them and should be able to transfer in the spring semester to begin the 4 yr bachelors program,
    heres my question,

    Is going for a bachelors degree that will cost more than I care to think about worth it? I had contemplated going into the ANG or enlisting in the AF but ultimately just want to do ATC,

    I considered the program at Advanced in Valdosta,Ga. for 50k, (its less than this bachelors will cost !!)

    I am only certain of ONE thing, and that's my desire to be ATC, ANY advice or wisdom is GREATLY appreciated.

    Thank You

  2. #2
    Senior Analyst

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    1,016

    Re: Question About Plan

    No. Not worth it. Read through some cti forums, many are no longer getting hired. Spending that much time and money, even if by some miracle you get picked up, if you fail okc you don’t really have many options.

    I say go the military route, or move to New York and maybe eventually get picked up there, they will always be hiring until I retire.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    270

    Re: Question About Plan

    LOL this is easy if you have enough work experience at all? You can apply OTS (Off the street) if you have enough work experience and or college credits. Ill include what was on my application as far as the work/school requirements. its either a 4 year degree or I think three years full time or a combination.

    In a few days there will be a BID on USAJOBS.com go make an account right now.
    Stay away from advanced ATC, unless like all else fails and you have money to blow.
    Expect to wait 12-24 months from the time the bid opens to the time you might make it to the academy.
    Expect to not make it on your first or even second bid or maybe ever. you'll need luck.


    Do you have a combination of experience and education that equates to 3 years? YesNOTE: Education and experience can be combined to meet the minimum qualification requirements. To combine education and experience, we will:
    a. determine the applicant's total qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience

    required;
    b. determine the applicant's education as a percentage of the education required; and add the twopercentages. The total must equal 100%.
    At the undergraduate level, successfully completed education that has not led to possession of adegree is credited based on its relationship to 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours. Forexample, 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours is comparable to 1 year of undergraduateeducation. Four years of progressive study or 120 semester hours meets the degreerequirements. For study at a business or technical school, 36 weeks of study (20+ classroomhours per week) is comparable to 1 academic year above high school.

  4. #4
    Stinger's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,556

    Re: Question About Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by bayoumudd92 View Post
    LOL this is easy if you have enough work experience at all? You can apply OTS (Off the street) if you have enough work experience and or college credits. Ill include what was on my application as far as the work/school requirements. its either a 4 year degree or I think three years full time or a combination.

    In a few days there will be a BID on USAJOBS.com go make an account right now.
    Stay away from advanced ATC, unless like all else fails and you have money to blow.
    Expect to wait 12-24 months from the time the bid opens to the time you might make it to the academy.
    Expect to not make it on your first or even second bid or maybe ever. you'll need luck.


    Do you have a combination of experience and education that equates to 3 years? YesNOTE: Education and experience can be combined to meet the minimum qualification requirements. To combine education and experience, we will:
    a. determine the applicant's total qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience

    required;
    b. determine the applicant's education as a percentage of the education required; and add the twopercentages. The total must equal 100%.
    At the undergraduate level, successfully completed education that has not led to possession of adegree is credited based on its relationship to 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours. Forexample, 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours is comparable to 1 year of undergraduateeducation. Four years of progressive study or 120 semester hours meets the degreerequirements. For study at a business or technical school, 36 weeks of study (20+ classroomhours per week) is comparable to 1 academic year above high school.
    Where did you hear it'll be posted in a few days?

  5. #5
    Senior Analyst

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    1,016

    Re: Question About Plan

    They didn’t, just made it up. Pretty certain bayou is just restating other things they have read. Bid has been delayed, just like I think you, stinger, had said earlier. Who knows

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    270

    Re: Question About Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by j_time41 View Post
    They didn’t, just made it up. Pretty certain bayou is just restating other things they have read. Bid has been delayed, just like I think you, stinger, had said earlier. Who knows
    I was just restating what I heard. I read there would be an N90 and then normal OTS and the N90 was correct so i assumed the normal bid would be coming. Ive been wrong before. lol

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    108

    Re: Question About Plan

    If you can get the requirements for an OTS bid then I wouldn’t join the AF. It is a 6 year commitment and if you wash out then you’re stuck for 6 years. You can get your, I think it’s 3 years, work experience or a combination of education and work. So many things can change in the hiring process in 6 years.
    Do you know any controllers? Toured a facility?

  8. #8
    Stinger's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,556

    Re: Question About Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by bayoumudd92 View Post
    I was just restating what I heard. I read there would be an N90 and then normal OTS and the N90 was correct so i assumed the normal bid would be coming. Ive been wrong before. lol
    It was supposed to be N90 posted on June 19th and then the nationwide posted on June 27th.
    N90 posted and closed on the 26th like scheduled. Nationwide never posted because of an indefinite delay.

  9. #9
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Question About Plan

    Thanks for the info, so basically what you are all saying is if I go 4 yrs & get a bachelors in air traffic management , I may not ever even get to be an atc if I don't get in the FAA academy ?? I don't think the college I've applied to is being very informative, if that's the case.
    I have various employment history , I'm 20 so the variety is typical high school/ college type stuff, grocery stores gas stations, im currently doing landscaping (ughhh), I haven't totaled my semester hours in college but I have 37 credits . How on earth can I figure if I even stand a chance at applying OTS because that would save me ALOT of $$ and time, because ATC is all im interested in.
    Thanks in advance

  10. #10
    jdatc624's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Center/center/tracon
    Posts
    161

    Re: Question About Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by JAR1 View Post
    Thanks for the info, so basically what you are all saying is if I go 4 yrs & get a bachelors in air traffic management , I may not ever even get to be an atc if I don't get in the FAA academy ?? I don't think the college I've applied to is being very informative, if that's the case.
    I have various employment history , I'm 20 so the variety is typical high school/ college type stuff, grocery stores gas stations, im currently doing landscaping (ughhh), I haven't totaled my semester hours in college but I have 37 credits . How on earth can I figure if I even stand a chance at applying OTS because that would save me ALOT of $$ and time, because ATC is all im interested in.
    Thanks in advance
    Dont ever go to a university and just get a degree in air traffic management. Worthless. If you have a college that offers a minor with ATC that gets you in, and you already want to go for something else, that’s another animal. But truly going for ATC alone is unwise. It’s a job you can either do, or you can’t, and having a degree alone doesn’t really help since the FAA will teach you all you need to know.

    I have trained people that have had a degree in ATC, people that have been airline pilots, former military controllers, and people that have been hired off the street, and the only thing that matters is natural ability.

  11. #11
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Question About Plan

    Thank you for replying, so is there a chance I could apply "if" theres a OTS bid ? with my work history & education that I currently have?? does nearly 2 yrs in college with 37 credits & employment (part time) with various small bit jobs ??

  12. #12
    jdatc624's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Center/center/tracon
    Posts
    161

    Re: Question About Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by JAR1 View Post
    Thank you for replying, so is there a chance I could apply "if" theres a OTS bid ? with my work history & education that I currently have?? does nearly 2 yrs in college with 37 credits & employment (part time) with various small bit jobs ??
    Got me, I have no idea what the current job posting is. But I believe you could mix work and college. I was a cti, but I don’t endorse it. If you could go find an Air Force recruiter that would guarantee atc, that’d be a foot in the door, but still quite a commitment and not a guarantee with the FAA. Plus in the meantime it is plausible you could get picked up on an off the street bid and be ahead seniority wise where you would have been if you joined up, did atc and then got hired...

    no no one really has a crystal ball when it comes to the FAA....

  13. #13
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Question About Plan

    Well I appreciate your input, but this totally has me stumped now, I have been following a course load of pre req's to transfer to the university's air traffic management bachelors degree, I was unaware (sadly) of all of this , I was given the impression that I would be an ATC upon graduation.

  14. #14
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,647

    Re: Question About Plan

    I highly doubt two years of college and part time work will add up to being eligible for the FAA. Stay in school, get a degree in something that interests you. Meanwhile apply to any off the street bids for which you qualify (we will have to read the job posting when it comes out). Thousands apply, significantly less are hired. You need a back up plan whether it is the military and DOD/contract towers or a whole different career path.

  15. #15
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    24

    Re: Question About Plan

    Thank you, looks like I have some thinking to do .

  16. #16
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,647

    Re: Question About Plan

    I highly doubt two years of college and part time work will add up to being eligible for the FAA. Stay in school, get a degree in something that interests you. Meanwhile apply to any off the street bids for which you qualify (we will have to read the job posting when it comes out). Thousands apply, significantly less are hired. You need a back up plan whether it is the military and DOD/contract towers or a whole different career path.

  17. #17
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    26

    Re: Question About Plan

    I graduated from Advanced ATC back in November. I now work at their tower in Valdosta. I'm on my way to direct hire into the FAA. If you want a more or less guaranteed route into ATC, then give Advanced ATC a real look. Call Monica Cunningham at 866-938-0398 for questions.

  18. #18
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Question About Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTango View Post
    If you can get the requirements for an OTS bid then I wouldn’t join the AF. It is a 6 year commitment and if you wash out then you’re stuck for 6 years.
    If you wash out in the Air Force, then that may be a strong indicator that you should probably imagine doing something else with the rest of your life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •