Pilot Pay

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

 

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Pilot Pay

  1. #1
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    50

    Pilot Pay

    Watch this vid. Very sad...

    Michael Moore: Pilots on food stamps. [VIDEO]

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    156

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    I got as far as "Michael Moore" and then stopped reading...

  3. #3
    Cirrus12's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,779

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt View Post
    I got as far as "Michael Moore" and then stopped reading...
    It's actually a decient video. If you know anyone who flies for a regional you know how absurdly little they get paid.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    210

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    FRONTLINE: flying cheap: watch the full program | PBS

    Another good story about regional airlines and the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo.

  5. #5
    jarhead0863's Avatar
    Trusted Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    409

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    I watched both videos, both were very good. Well worth the watch.

  6. #6
    RdRunnr12's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,569

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    Michael Moore is a douche bag, but yeah, the life of a pilot just isn't what it used to be.

    That guy in Catch Me if You Can really lived it up!
    Applied PUBNATS 5,6
    AT-SAT = WQ
    Selected PUBNAT 6 for ZDV = Accepted!
    Atlanta PEPC - August 3, 2009

  7. #7
    Cirrus12's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,779

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    Quote Originally Posted by RdRunnr12 View Post
    Michael Moore is a douche bag, but yeah, the life of a pilot just isn't what it used to be.

    That guy in Catch Me if You Can really lived it up!
    Well, in Catch Me if you Can he was following around Captians and FOs in the majors who were flying much more advanced aircraft. Michale Moore was talking to FOs on small commuter planes in small regional airlines.

  8. #8
    drsarp22's Avatar
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    53

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    This is a joke.

    Yeah first officers get paid nothing flying for regional airlines.

    There are tons of pilots out there. All of them wnat to break in to the big leauges and make Captains pay at major airline one day. The airlines pay them little because of supply and demand. The new pilots that want to get into the industry are willing to work for very little for payout in the end. Notice he only talked about the FO's not the Captains. You think Doctors in residency or lawyers that start out clerking make serious money, hell no but they do it for the experince and the payout in the end. When I was an Amn doing ATC I was making around the same money a FO at a regional airline would. Why? Because I put in my time making nothing and getting experince so I could get into the FAA and make good money. Also the senior pilots at air carriers cant stand that all these young people accept the low pay because it hurts the Senior guys from a bargaining perspective. The reason senior pilots are getting paycuts are because there are so many young pilots out there willing to work for low wages. I had a guy in my classes in college that flew for American Eagle, no degree, little experince, but he was getting paid and raking in flight hours while he was finishing his degree, he knew what the deal was.

  9. #9
    atp2atc's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    172

    Re: Pilot Pay:(

    Quote Originally Posted by drsarp22 View Post
    This is a joke.

    Yeah first officers get paid nothing flying for regional airlines.

    There are tons of pilots out there. All of them wnat to break in to the big leauges and make Captains pay at major airline one day. The airlines pay them little because of supply and demand. The new pilots that want to get into the industry are willing to work for very little for payout in the end. Notice he only talked about the FO's not the Captains. You think Doctors in residency or lawyers that start out clerking make serious money, hell no but they do it for the experince and the payout in the end. When I was an Amn doing ATC I was making around the same money a FO at a regional airline would. Why? Because I put in my time making nothing and getting experince so I could get into the FAA and make good money. Also the senior pilots at air carriers cant stand that all these young people accept the low pay because it hurts the Senior guys from a bargaining perspective. The reason senior pilots are getting paycuts are because there are so many young pilots out there willing to work for low wages. I had a guy in my classes in college that flew for American Eagle, no degree, little experince, but he was getting paid and raking in flight hours while he was finishing his degree, he knew what the deal was.

    I understand what you're saying about sucking it up at first and paying your dues to get to the better pay, but its not just the pay that bothers pilots. One of the big things is having zero job security even during good economic times. I agree a doctor has it rough at the beggining, but the difference is that after a pilot pays his dues at his airline and makes it to captain or just to a senior Fo spot he could get furloughed. Then if he goes to another airline he has to pay his dues all over again. If a doctor gets laid off or leaves for another hospital he doesn't start from the beggining. Also pilots are mostly based in major cities where cost of living is too high so they are forced to commute, which leads to fatigue issues and poor quality of life. I know when pilots talk about their career is sounds like we're whinning and saying we have it bad and everyone has it easy, but there are issues that need to be changed.
    I definitely agree with you about younger pilots hurting the career by taking these jobs. I was guilty of it myself. Pilots are their own worst enemy, theres no unity. Amerijet recently went on strike and I forget the exact numbers but it was sickening to see how many of the pilots were scabs.

  10. #10
    Dream_Land's Avatar
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12

    Re: Pilot Pay

    My first post so go easy on me, I don't like the way pilots are always being blamed for the overall crappy airline conditions, Moore is an idiot that likes to take things out of context and dramatize the real conditions.

    Conditions in the industry have changed over the years and some airlines are slow to keep up, so who gets penalized, the pilots. Not really sure how it will end up, I think the good ole days are gone, it's a new world of $30.00 fares, no food, charge extra for everything, mostly because this is what the public wants, so even though you can still make around 300K a year at SWA, I feel that the mega salaries are a thing of the past, but still a worthwhile career.

  11. #11
    Rosstafari's Avatar
    Daaaang.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    /X
    Posts
    1,149

    Re: Pilot Pay

    300k a year at SWA? Really? That's a lot higher than I'd expect. I thought you needed to be pulling international routes for the legacies to crack 100k. Shoot, I'd deal with 10 years of minimum wage and no time seeing my wife if it meant 300k down the road.
    Pan pan?

  12. #12
    the worst cpc you know

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    423

    Re: Pilot Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosstafari View Post
    300k a year at SWA? Really? That's a lot higher than I'd expect. I thought you needed to be pulling international routes for the legacies to crack 100k. Shoot, I'd deal with 10 years of minimum wage and no time seeing my wife if it meant 300k down the road.
    I find that number to be pretty hard to believe.

  13. #13
    GolfJuliet's Avatar
    'Merica

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,012

    Re: Pilot Pay


  14. #14
    Dream_Land's Avatar
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12

    Re: Pilot Pay

    GJ, thanks for posting that, don't confuse hourly pay, with annual income, pilots are experts at working the system.

    I also have a friend that went from the bus at Jet Blue, to the small jet, annual income $170K, yikes.

  15. #15
    GolfJuliet's Avatar
    'Merica

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,012

    Re: Pilot Pay

    If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it has a calculator that figures it for you....Also here's the link for all the other airlines: Airline Salaries

  16. #16
    the worst cpc you know

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    423

    Re: Pilot Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by GolfJuliet View Post
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it has a calculator that figures it for you....Also here's the link for all the other airlines: Airline Salaries
    I'm coming up with about 209k for a SWA captain with perdiem @ 78 hrs a month

  17. #17
    GolfJuliet's Avatar
    'Merica

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,012

    Re: Pilot Pay

    I see you learned how to use it lol

  18. #18
    atp2atc's Avatar
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    172

    Re: Pilot Pay

    78 hours is probably the minumum, like dreamland said, pilots can tweak their schedule to get over 100 credit hours for the month. Theres definitely pilots making as much as 200-300k/year but its not very common. Also with so many pilot's careers plagued with furloughs, mergers, or even their airline just going under, it takes a bit of luck to make it to those figures.

  19. #19
    GolfJuliet's Avatar
    'Merica

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,012

    Re: Pilot Pay

    75-80ish seem to be what most airlines guarantee each month, with another 80 or so reserved. With so many younger pilots willing to take pay cuts though it's becoming harder for the older guys to keep their 200K+ salaries bc they can be replaced.

  20. #20
    pilotmike327's Avatar
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    A galaxy pretty close by
    Posts
    56

    Re: Pilot Pay

    That frontline special on regionals was scary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •