What do u do in cockpit?

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

 

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7

    What do u do in cockpit?

    I ask this question because as a controller I wonder what else are you doing when you have a co-pilot and no one seems to be paying attention the first time they are addressed for a control instruction. With some airline pilots you tend to have to call 2 or 3 times for a control instruction all the time.. I have friends east to west in every state almost now that are ATC and we all ask the same question; What are they doing up there that they never hear you the 1st time you say something or someone is always saying "BLOCKED" on the frequency. (1 particular airline in question is notorious around the world on being called on the guard frequency for not paying attention NEVER)

    Whom are you in constant contact with from a flight from La to NY? or even shorter, ATL to CLT and besides talking to company or (ARINC costing the company more money to use them when you don't answer anyone) who else are you communicating with when ATC is telling you to descend or climb or do something and you don't answer?

  2. #2
    irishcarbomb's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    Maybe its your wonderful english causing the confusion?

    Seriously though...
    As both a pilot and a controller I know there are sometimes other things going on or we may be briefing an approach or discussing conditions at the destination. The possibilities are endless. Sometimes we can't here the full callsign so instead of asking and tying up the frequency,we just wait. Sometimes numbers get transposed and yeah sometimes we're just not paying attention.

    Try to remember we are all human and both pilots and controllers make mistakes. It's not like we just sit there waiting for the next command from you, contrary to popular belief pilots actually have things to do up there.

    Oh and when you hear blocked its because while you were keyed up and talking someone else did as well and BLOCKED out the transmission
    Commercial SEL, MEL, Instrument, CFI, CFII

  3. #3
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    You must be a young controller with little or no pilot experience. Most of the controllers I work with have their private at least, some of us much more experience in complex aircraft. The FAM program, prior to 9-11, was an excellent training tool for both pilot and non-pilot controllers to experience the cockpit environment. I wish they would bring it back. Missing calls can be caused from something as simple as not paying attention or maybe the pilots carrying on a casual conversation. I observed this many times while flying on a FAM, even while holding in position. I think the rule used to be no casual conversation below 10k, it wasn't always followed. Other times, it could be due to hundreds of things related to the flight that take the crew's attention away from communication with ATC. Weather, flight systems, etc. I think it's a great thing that a private pilot rating is required in the CTI schools. Your question is only one reason why.

  4. #4
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    You must be a young controller with little or no pilot experience. Most of the controllers I work with have their private at least, some of us much more experience in complex aircraft. The FAM program, prior to 9-11, was an excellent training tool for both pilot and non-pilot controllers to experience the cockpit environment. I wish they would bring it back. Missing calls can be caused from something as simple as not paying attention or maybe the pilots carrying on a casual conversation. I observed this many times while flying on a FAM, even while holding in position. I think the rule used to be no casual conversation below 10k, it wasn't always followed. Other times, it could be due to hundreds of things related to the flight that take the crew's attention away from communication with ATC. Weather, flight systems, etc. I think it's a great thing that a private pilot rating is required in the CTI schools. Your question is only one reason why.

  5. #5
    Junior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    147

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjhjea View Post
    You must be a young controller with little or no pilot experience. Most of the controllers I work with have their private at least, some of us much more experience in complex aircraft. The FAM program, prior to 9-11, was an excellent training tool for both pilot and non-pilot controllers to experience the cockpit environment. I wish they would bring it back. Missing calls can be caused from something as simple as not paying attention or maybe the pilots carrying on a casual conversation. I observed this many times while flying on a FAM, even while holding in position. I think the rule used to be no casual conversation below 10k, it wasn't always followed. Other times, it could be due to hundreds of things related to the flight that take the crew's attention away from communication with ATC. Weather, flight systems, etc. I think it's a great thing that a private pilot rating is required in the CTI schools. Your question is only one reason why.
    The FAM program has been back for a year now. Thousands of controllers have participated.

  6. #6
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    I know this is a super old thread but there's always good info to pass along with this subject. Below 10 thousand feet there should be no reason to miss radio calls due to the sterile cockpit rules (Which aren't always followed). Typically after takeoff both pilots are busy between the takeoff roll and the climbout. As you tell an airline to contact departure, the flying pilot is controlling the aircraft and the monitoring pilot is running flows, working the gear and flaps, and running checklists. This workload is typically what makes them miss the departure change. When making the switch between approach and tower on landing, the same thing is happening. The flying pilot is controlling the aircraft and the pilot monitoring is running checklists, doing flows, manipulating gear and flaps along with making the appropriate airline designated call-outs for the approach. Workload increases exponentially during this phase which is sometimes why you'll clear a pilot to land and a few seconds later they'll chime in "Confirm we're cleared to land"... overloaded cockpit. Up at altitude when pilots miss radio handoffs the first time, it's usually because they're in conversation about anything or everything, briefing arrivals, approaches, complaining about the contract, work, family, god, guns, money... whatever. Or they're listening to the ever increasing banter on guard (or joining in on it) or they're giving announcements in the back for arrival information, weather, etc.

    Most pilots don't actively listen to every single transmission. We kind of down it out. If we hear our callsign, our ears perk up and we pay attention. If for some reason the callsign isn't clearly transmitted, there's a good chance we aren't going to hear the transmission the first time. Of course I don't speak for everybody but that's been my experience over the last few years.

  7. #7
    NovemberEcho's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,377

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    My response when this happens is "put down the iPad and pay attention!" Especially to JetBlue pilots with that free wifi lol

  8. #8
    phillyman2633's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    International waters
    Posts
    4,210

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    On the flip side, how many times have Controllers had to say "Say again" because they were having a sidebar conversation (be honest). I do that shit all the time, at least when it's slow. There's 2 sides to the coin.

  9. #9
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    59

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    In all honesty if I miss a call it's usually because I was chatting with my FO. :\ I try not to do it often.

  10. #10
    FoggyWindow's Avatar
    Trusted Contributor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Santos Intl Airport
    Posts
    676

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    "I was on the landline, calling center, say again"

    it it goes both ways, bruh

  11. #11
    phillyman2633's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    International waters
    Posts
    4,210

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    Quote Originally Posted by FoggyWindow View Post
    "I was on the landline, calling center, say again"

    it it goes both ways, bruh
    Or, in your case, "I was on the landline checking Grindr, say again"

  12. #12
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    21

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    Quote Originally Posted by irishatc View Post
    The FAM program has been back for a year now. Thousands of controllers have participated.

    cockpit jump seating can be a good experience based on the crew (especially if you don't have any pilot ratings). Why don't they put controllers in CASS like dispatchers?

  13. #13
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,647

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Theboss View Post
    cockpit jump seating can be a good experience based on the crew (especially if you don't have any pilot ratings). Why don't they put controllers in CASS like dispatchers?
    If you fill out the paperwork you will be put in CASS

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    199

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purplelobj View Post
    If you fill out the paperwork you will be put in CASS
    Is this still under the standard FAM program where it's considered training, or something different?

  15. #15
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,647

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    The Flight Deck Training program....

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    172

    Re: What do u do in cockpit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purplelobj View Post
    If you fill out the paperwork you will be put in CASS
    Your only in CASS temporally for the fam program.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •