Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore? - Page 2

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

 

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Stinger's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by j_time41 View Post
    If approach shows acft type continuously on the data block, or even with a timeshare, centers are different. The only way the see type acft is to hit a quick look button on the DIK, (yea, it’s really called that, it’s a little other keyboard with a few buttons), look at the strip if you aren’t a high sector, or look at your edst.
    Strange....on enroute Falcon replays it shows the aircraft type.
    At terminal facilities the type aircraft time-shares with the speed.

  2. #12
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    If you hear anything out of me but the last three, I've already tried to reach you twice.

  3. #13
    Senior Analyst

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    1,009

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Strange....on enroute Falcon replays it shows the aircraft type.
    At terminal facilities the type aircraft time-shares with the speed.
    You are correct, on falcon it displays that only in enroute. Not the same as on the floor.

  4. #14
    Trusted Contributor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    706

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by lowapproach View Post
    If you hear anything out of me but the last three, I've already tried to reach you twice.
    This... i use November up until I have to repeat myself and I use full C/S and A/C type. After that, I move on cause I’m apparantly not important. I don’t care if you’re blowing thru final lmao
    Last edited by SPOONY90; 08-07-2018 at 09:14 PM.

  5. #15
    NovemberEcho's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,336

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    If using November instead of Cessna is causing you to miss calls, you need to practice your radio skills.

  6. #16
    Rookie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    31

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    I do need radio practice! I admit it, but I'm trying to get better on the radio. I can't always afford to fly, but I've been listening to liveatc.com, etc, and I've visited my local tower to ask questions and learn as much as I can. I've been a pilot for a long time, but I also spend a lot of time in uncontrolled airspace (talking to myself . So my ears are rusty. However, my point is that when I used to fly in controlled airspace in the 90ies (Socal), it seemed that controllers were very good (and consistent) at always calling aircraft by their type, especially us little puddle jumpers. I agree, I should never miss a call. I understand that November1234 is perfectly legal, but Cessna1234 is best practice, its more professional IMO, but I could also say if you can't remember the type or use all the information available to you, maybe you need to practice your controller skills.

  7. #17
    Stinger's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    I do need radio practice! I admit it, but I'm trying to get better on the radio. I can't always afford to fly, but I've been listening to liveatc.com, etc, and I've visited my local tower to ask questions and learn as much as I can. I've been a pilot for a long time, but I also spend a lot of time in uncontrolled airspace (talking to myself . So my ears are rusty. However, my point is that when I used to fly in controlled airspace in the 90ies (Socal), it seemed that controllers were very good (and consistent) at always calling aircraft by their type, especially us little puddle jumpers. I agree, I should never miss a call. I understand that November1234 is perfectly legal, but Cessna1234 is best practice, its more professional IMO, but I could also say if you can't remember the type or use all the information available to you, maybe you need to practice your controller skills.
    Spot On!!

  8. #18
    Junior Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Paradise District
    Posts
    127

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    I love that you're here looking for answers. That's awesome. I wish more pilots would seek to know us better, either through forums or visiting facilities. That relationship is HUGE.

    That said... what the person said about the timeshare in the data block is spot on. If I'm working a busy push, feeder/final combined with no assist, a VFR trucking through my airspace is probably lucky not to be terminated. I spend about half a second on each data block with every scan, and if your type isn't up when I look at it, you're getting a november. Even if it is, you're probably still getting a november. And like someone else said, if you get a type or a full call sign, I can assure you it is at LEAST the third call and it's IMPORTANT. When you request services, that puts a responsibility on us. It's a responsibility we take very seriously. Keep practicing, keep working at it, keep asking questions. We sincerely appreciate the effort and it will only make you better!

  9. #19
    Senior Analyst

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    1,009

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    I disagree that November is not best practice in center. In approach, yes, not en route. Very few controllers care what you are in center, much less call you by it. That’s just the way it is. Respond to November, makes everyone’s life easier.

  10. #20
    NovemberEcho's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,336

    Re: Why ATC Doesn't Use Make when Calling Anymore?

    I use all the information I need, which is that your callsign starts with November. Only ones I call Cessna are C525’s cause they should feel bad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •