Pilot with ATC Questions

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

 

I Disappear When You Log In - Register

^^ The Advertisements above disappear once you log in. Not a member? Register Now, it's free! ^^
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4

    Pilot with ATC Questions

    Hello all,

    So, I learned to fly as a teenager in the 90ies, actually got pretty much all my ratings, then went to grad school and now have a non-aviation office job. However, I'm now getting back into aviation for fun, but I'm rusty especially with my communications. I've always had questions about ATC operations and procedures. Recently visited a control tower and got to hang out and learn a lot of the nuances of why things are done in certain ways.

    So long story short, I'm a pilot, I have questions for air traffic controllers, so I found this forum and signed up.

    I'm not sure if I should start a different thread, but the specific question I had that prompted me to find this site and sign up is this:

    When I'm calling approach for a practice instrument approach, should I tell the controller that I have "Information x" for the airport that I'm requesting the practice approach? For example, after I get "go ahead", I say "12345 is a Cessna 172, over lake Mathews, three thousand, request practice ILS approach for Riverside, Information bravo, will maintain VFR." Does providing current ATIS information save time, or is that unnecessary?

  2. #2
    Epic Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,573

    Re: Pilot with ATC Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    Hello all,

    So, I learned to fly as a teenager in the 90ies, actually got pretty much all my ratings, then went to grad school and now have a non-aviation office job. However, I'm now getting back into aviation for fun, but I'm rusty especially with my communications. I've always had questions about ATC operations and procedures. Recently visited a control tower and got to hang out and learn a lot of the nuances of why things are done in certain ways.

    So long story short, I'm a pilot, I have questions for air traffic controllers, so I found this forum and signed up.

    I'm not sure if I should start a different thread, but the specific question I had that prompted me to find this site and sign up is this:

    When I'm calling approach for a practice instrument approach, should I tell the controller that I have "Information x" for the airport that I'm requesting the practice approach? For example, after I get "go ahead", I say "12345 is a Cessna 172, over lake Mathews, three thousand, request practice ILS approach for Riverside, Information bravo, will maintain VFR." Does providing current ATIS information save time, or is that unnecessary?
    You should absolutely say that. We must verify that each aircraft had the appropriate weather for the destination airport. By you saying it on initial call up, assuming the controller is listening, you save us from having to go back and ask you to verify you have the weather

  3. #3
    Stinger's Avatar
    Epic Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: Pilot with ATC Questions

    Yes, say you have the ATIS code on your callup. Adding on to what Purplelobj said "assuming the controller is listening" they won't have to verify you have the ATIS.....just be aware like 70% of the time you're going to get asked by the controller if you have the ATIS even if you initially said you had it.

  4. #4
    Newcomer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Pilot with ATC Questions

    Thank you for your responses. Thats good to know, and its also good to know that I might have to repeat myself 70% of the time, but the other 30% of the time, I will have saved unnecessary pushes, or whatever you guys call it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •