02/18/2011 Enroute Basics

ned_pepper

Rookie
May 24, 2009
Got the call from Miguel today, I'm in the 2/18 enroute as well. And all it took was three years! I'm gonna be at my first choice ZHU which happens to also be home too.

bkoopman

Jan 9, 2011
Alpine, UT
I guess you could say that washing out would kill your desire to live there...

Yeah, we might be locked in for a while, so good that you're down with that. Anyway, we'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, the facility welcome guide is here on SM, so you may want to check that out to pass the time. Well, 15 minutes of time. It's a start.

Thank you... for the info..... Palmdale isnt to bad.... its about a hour from the beach, six flags is pretty close by. There are lots of trails for 4-wheeling.... The Seqoua National forrest isnt to far away..... :lurk:

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Thank you... for the info..... Palmdale isnt to bad.... its about a hour from the beach, six flags is pretty close by. There are lots of trails for 4-wheeling.... The Seqoua National forrest isnt to far away..... :lurk:
Slopes, Slopes I say.... you are way closer than I will be at ZOA! ZSE would be perfect though since I love Crystal Mountain.

NewATCguy

Newcomer
Jan 24, 2009
Fairfax, VA
So I am thinking about Walnut Gardens, $28 a day.. People I know tell me to pay for it yourself and get remb back, not to use the gov credit card..

rostato

Jun 7, 2009
So I am thinking about Walnut Gardens, $28 a day.. People I know tell me to pay for it yourself and get remb back, not to use the gov credit card..
I looked into that place but decided to go with Kims place. I would rather spend a little more, and be in a new house with people to keep me sane at night.

Climber27J

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Spring, TX
I'm heading up there for the 18 Feb-22 Jun class as well. ZHU upon return to the facility. Anyone else from there? I know we have 4 from ZHU and 12 total in the class so I'm hoping we can do something whether it's ride share, room share, etc or something like shooting pool, going to the climbing gym, weight training, bowling, etc on slower nights or even to study (since those environments can actually help me).

Even if not ZHU let me know if you're in the class! Send me an email if you want!

Climber27J

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Spring, TX
I live in Utah right now. I'll be driving down there with my family. I am married and have a four year old and a six year old. Right now I am planning on staying at Kim's Place. I'm still waiting for my official FOL before I make any firm plans though.
I have a son who turns 4 on the 19th and another who turns 6 on 11 April. They won't be with me but if your family wants to take them out to Chuck E Cheese or someplace fun like that feel free to let me know! I'll miss my boys terribly and won't mind hangin out sometime if you think it will help :) PM me if you want any info!

ned_pepper

Rookie
May 24, 2009
im leaning towards the bella place. i dont want to drive everyday. should or shouldnt we use the govt credit card to pay? also i am pleased with my bank so far should i sign up with the credit union? also how long does it take for the FOL packet to arrive i just got my date for mid-february and january is almot over.

milkman_dan

Isola charges your full per diem so theres no extra money if you use your own credit card. You can, however, earn points on your card on the govts dime, or you could get a card with a "free flight if you spend $1000 in the first month" deal and bank that.

ned_pepper

Rookie
May 24, 2009
but isnt that just housing per diem and they provide two meals on the weekdays, so isnt the price kinda justified

RedBaron

Academy Housing Provider
Apr 22, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
im leaning towards the bella place. i dont want to drive everyday. should or shouldnt we use the govt credit card to pay? also i am pleased with my bank so far should i sign up with the credit union? also how long does it take for the FOL packet to arrive i just got my date for mid-february and january is almot over.
I encourage all students to join FAA Federal Credit Union if they are not already a member of a credit union. FAA Federal Credit Union understands students needs and is very responsive to situations that may arise. Credit unions in general are much more oriented to individuals than major banks. Also the ATM at the 7-11 next door to Isola Bella is a FFCU machine.

Getting Ready For The Big Blizzard Tomorrow,
The RedBaron