02/18/2011 Enroute Basics

Climber27J

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Spring, TX
Half the cars in Oklahoma have Texas plates. But watch your speed anyway.
I learned my speeding lessons by paying Richmond County, GA lots of money when I worked for Continental Airlines there. Since I've been in TX the past 6+ years I haven't had one ticket so I intend on keeping it that way!

Climber27J

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Spring, TX
Anyone see the correlation with the fact that roughly half the people in Oklahoma cant drive for s.hit?

I do!!
Ha! Thankfully I learned to drive in upstate NY by my dad (a professional driver) and I drove for a year in all weather conditions before getting my license. The drivers in TX must just request a license and once passing a pulse check they're just given the damn thing.

rostato

Jun 7, 2009
Ha! Thankfully I learned to drive in upstate NY by my dad (a professional driver) and I drove for a year in all weather conditions before getting my license. The drivers in TX must just request a license and once passing a pulse check they're just given the damn thing.
It's like that all over the south. Heaven forbide if it rains, or snows...lol I grew up in CT, and was very surprised how terrible the driving was in the south.

But then I lived in Germany for 6 months, and when I came back I realized ALL american drivers are just plain terrible.

Climber27J

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
Spring, TX
This is true, although a lot of places in Europe have terrible drivers who don't follow any driving laws. Even so, the drivers in the south are overall worse than in the north. I'm sure there are one or two exceptions...well maybe.

ned_pepper

Rookie
May 24, 2009
got my packet yesterday! so its official yall, ill be there thursday at isola bella. heres to all the ATCers!

bkoopman

Jan 9, 2011
Alpine, UT
Isola charges your full per diem so theres no extra money if you use your own credit card. You can, however, earn points on your card on the govts dime, or you could get a card with a "free flight if you spend $1000 in the first month" deal and bank that.

On the Dave Ramsey show he was saying that 75 percent of all flight miles earned on the credit card are never used...... So unless your really planning to use them look for other reward options....

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Hahaha I'm trying to be nice. There must be some awful driver in the northern states who's worse than the best driver in the south...
MINNESOTA! The upside is that when you honk at them they just pull off the road.

I'm taking my time. Snowboarded at Brighton in SLC today, hotsprings in Wyoming tomorrow, OKC Wednesday afternoon.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
I don't mind driving thankfully, and my Acura runs pretty smooth. But my back will be in shambles after that drive. All worth it in the end.

The drive from okc to Oakland will be even worse...pending graduation that is ;)
I wll be driving OKC to ZOA also. I hope they give us some leave for that Friday so we have 4 days for the drive.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
I moved into my apartment today, mostly set up, waiting on rented furniture to arrive though :-/ Pvt me if you want to meet for coffee or a drink before Friday.

Lynz2529

Rookie
May 17, 2009
California
I got to OKC on Monday evening, I drove from CA bay area. Drove through Vegas, to Albuquerque, then to OKC. The drive sucked, nothing to look at. But I am here now, staying in Isola Bella. Hope everyone is driving/flying safely. See you all on Friday!