10 character limit

Should the 10 character minimum be lifted?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 11, 2008
The 10 character limit is a software default. It can be changed but the reason it is default is to prevent responses like: Yes and LOL. I think its' purpose was to create better discussion between members. In general, if a post is less than 10 characters on the site, it wasn't worth posting in the first place.

We want this forum filled with useful information....not 10 character posts or even 1 character posts. They aren't worth posting in the first place.

Anyways, I added a poll to the top of the thread and we will see what everyone else wants and make a decision from there.

noid

Curtis E. Carr
Jun 24, 2008
In a van down by the river.
While I think the idea has merit, it does not deter short answers. Case in point, the post before this one. Anytime some has a short reply, it's usually followed by useless things to reach the 10 char. limit. Based on this, I think we should bypass this feature.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 11, 2008
While I think the idea has merit, it does not deter short answers. Case in point, the post before this one. Anytime some has a short reply, it's usually followed by useless things to reach the 10 char. limit. Based on this, I think we should bypass this feature.
People will always get around the 10 character limit if they want to. The point for people to understand is put some thought into your post before posting.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Re: I will ask....

Ditto

10 characters
This is exactly why it should stay. Nothing personal against you, GJ, you were just the first one to do it in this thread.

I don't like seeing forums filled with answers like "LOL" and "Yeah". Sure, people can get around it, but it's going to help filter out some of those (and, like Adam says, help motivate people to say something more substantial). FYI, there's a mod that'll occasionally go around and remove one-word posts that don't do anything to contribute to discussions. I don't know who it is, though.

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
Those are very good points, but if someone wants to put "yeah" or "LOL" their going to anyway. That's JMO though.

boondr

PHD without a degree
Jul 13, 2008
North of the Equator

This is exactly why it should stay. Nothing personal against you, GJ, you were just the first one to do it in this thread.

I don't like seeing forums filled with answers like "LOL" and "Yeah". Sure, people can get around it, but it's going to help filter out some of those (and, like Adam says, help motivate people to say something more substantial). FYI, there's a mod that'll occasionally go around and remove one-word posts that don't do anything to contribute to discussions. I don't know who it is, though.
Then use your modly powers and delete them. I think it is stupid, it drives me crazy seeing all the "jadsl;kfjdskfljasdfkljsfkj 10 characters" posts.

I am an admin at a sports forum and it does not have the 10 character limit and we have never had a problem with the short posts.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X

Then use your modly powers and delete them. I think it is stupid, it drives me crazy seeing all the "jadsl;kfjdskfljasdfkljsfkj 10 characters" posts.
FYI, there's a mod that'll occasionally go around and remove one-word posts that don't do anything to contribute to discussions. I don't know who it is, though.
I was trying to be subtle.

I am an admin at a sports forum and it does not have the 10 character limit and we have never had a problem with the short posts.
Yeah, lots of intelligent conversation on most sports forums. :D