2 Academy Questions

aschaule101

Newcomer
Oct 18, 2009
I was wondering what maps the acadmey uses for tower and tracon classes. If your are going to a facility that is tracon/tower which class do you do first?

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
Tower uses the DFW map. Tracon uses Socal tracon map.
what?

ummm no...RTF has their own map not based on anyones airspace

and while i didnt go thru the tower class, they are not based on any particular airport either

to the OP

if you're going to an up/down usually you'll do tower first

ladiesolo

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2009
Irish, I'm pretty sure the Tracon curriculum at the Academy is different from the RTF curriculum...so the maps one may use for RTF when already checked out in the tower of an up/down facility may be different from maps one may use in a Tracon class (heading to A11, N90, NCT, SCT, etc).

(I'm not sure if OP is referring to RTF or Tracon class. Dan appears to be talking about Tracon class, not RTF).

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
Irish, I'm pretty sure the Tracon curriculum at the Academy is different from the RTF curriculum...so the maps one may use for RTF when already checked out in the tower of an up/down facility may be different from maps one may use in a Tracon class (heading to A11, N90, NCT, SCT, etc).

(I'm not sure if OP is referring to RTF or Tracon class. Dan appears to be talking about Tracon class, not RTF).
RTF is RTF...whether you go thru for an up/down or a stand alone tracon.

the only difference now is the TSEW course, which is just a modified version of the regular RTF map. not sure if its in full swing but it was supposed to be for anyone going to a lvl10 or higher tracon. i was part of the first group to go thru which was only for a few 12s

ladiesolo

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2009
So if someone is going to N90, they are only in class for 30 days plus however many days it takes to complete TSEW? (I know people who are here for RTF because they have checked out in their tower and are only here for about 30 days or so). I'm pretty sure the VRA guys I met going to SoCal started class the day after me and left last week (maybe 2 weeks ago); meaning they were here for over 2 months...

I'm not arguing, just trying to gain understanding. Please fill me in, I'm curious.

blwfl180

Jun 18, 2008
San Diego
If you are a VRA hire going to a lvl 10 or higher Tracon you
will go to the 2 week ITR class, the 4 week RTF, then 2 week
Tsew class. So 2 months is about right.

jermscentral

Mar 1, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I don't know where milkman_dan gets his information, but that's way off. The map used in tower class, while somewhat similar to Will Rogers World Airport, is nowhere close to DFW. It is specially designed to throw in certain "tricks" of which you will learn when you get there (runway 16 departures after a heavy/B757 departs off 28R juuuuuust in time to rotate before the intersection, for starters). The layout is a set of parallel runways (28L/10R and 28R/10L) with an intersecting runway (16/34). The whole airport layout is designed to be relatively easy yet still cause you to have to think about what you're doing to figure out arrival/departure timings.

Barney13

Jun 12, 2009
where u all wanna be...
The tower set up is really based on Navy Pensacola. When we got our original simulators (TOTS) in 1992, we were part of the Navy contract with LOGICON.
We just changed the scenery to make it look more like NE Oklahoma.

There are no TRICKS built in the problems.. If you know the rules and apply them properly, it's easy..

PM me with anymore academy questions. I have no idea about hiring but I
know about the tower course..

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
There are conflicts built into it. Why wouldn't they build in conflicts? It's to test the students and see how they react to them and apply the rules.

Barney13

Jun 12, 2009
where u all wanna be...
Yes, there are conflicts built in , but not to trick you , just to ensure you have a basic understanding of the rules and how to apply them.. It's all good..

teaching concepts and you using them correctly is the goal.

good luck to all.. this is the greatest job in the world..

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Yes, there are conflicts built in , but not to trick you , just to ensure you have a basic understanding of the rules and how to apply them.. It's all good..

teaching concepts and you using them correctly is the goal.

good luck to all.. this is the greatest job in the world..
Yeah that's a better point. Touche.

mtlatc

Epic Member
Oct 17, 2008
In a bus down by the river!
There are no TRICKS built in the problems.. If you know the rules and apply them properly, it's easy....
And if you know how to work real pattern traffic and buck the system you will most likely be unsuccessful. No matter what you think you know listen to your instructors and pay heed to what they say. FOLLOW ALL ACADEMY ATC RULES!