2018 Bids & ATSA Difficulty

Dmav

Jul 28, 2018
Hey guys. I am new to this site and new to FAA world. I applied to the first ots(of the street, bid for Westbury, NY/N90 and my friend applied to the 2nd nationwide bid. I already scheduled a test date. My question is, what is the timeline to expect Between now and oklohoma? Why do only 50% pass the atsa, is it difficult? How long does the exam take /how many questions? What is an ideal score needed?

f5awp

Rookie
Mar 15, 2018
Considering I'm in both bids and have a test date scheduled as well, I won't make this too easy lol, but there's a ton of information you can find on this site and others just by searching. In terms of when we would go to Oklahoma if we get a TOL and get through everything else, my optimistic guess would be early 2019.

yoboiconnor

Dec 17, 2017
SLC, Utah
Considering I'm in both bids and have a test date scheduled as well, I won't make this too easy lol, but there's a ton of information you can find on this site and others just by searching. In terms of when we would go to Oklahoma if we get a TOL and get through everything else, my optimistic guess would be early 2019.
Last year the earliest I saw someone go from the 2017 July bid was in March. Most went in summer. I’d say something like that or maybe a little earlier

Jlinn1989

Rookie
Nov 2, 2016
If you search on this site, or over on pointsixtyfive you can find an exact breakdown of the ATSA and exactly what to expect. To give you an idea as how long to expect when to get to OKC given you make it through not just the ATSA but also medical and security, without and delays, somewhere around a year. If you get held up for anything, add an additional year to your wait. I’m from the August 2016 bid and my class date in OKC is August 15th 2018. I had to go through tier 2 so I was delayed a whole year basically because I misinterpreted one question on the MMPI (psychological evaluation that is part of the medical clearance). So don’t expect to be in OKC in a few months because you won’t be even if everything goes smoothly for you. Continue living life as if this isn’t going to happen and DEFINITELY don’t quit your current job unless you can afford not to work for the next 2 years

Ochawgy

Rookie
May 11, 2016
If you search on this site, or over on pointsixtyfive you can find an exact breakdown of the ATSA and exactly what to expect. To give you an idea as how long to expect when to get to OKC given you make it through not just the ATSA but also medical and security, without and delays, somewhere around a year. If you get held up for anything, add an additional year to your wait. I’m from the August 2016 bid and my class date in OKC is August 15th 2018. I had to go through tier 2 so I was delayed a whole year basically because I misinterpreted one question on the MMPI (psychological evaluation that is part of the medical clearance). So don’t expect to be in OKC in a few months because you won’t be even if everything goes smoothly for you. Continue living life as if this isn’t going to happen and DEFINITELY don’t quit your current job unless you can afford not to work for the next 2 years
Yea... don't quit until after you submit your security clearance paperwork at least... unless you are rolling in family fortune greenbacks or something.

What question did you misinterpret on the MMPI2 Jlinn?

Dmav

Jul 28, 2018
Thanks guys for all the info so far. As far as prepping for the atsa exam, is atc prep.com really a good way to go or is that just a scam?

Jlinn1989

Rookie
Nov 2, 2016
Yea... don't quit until after you submit your security clearance paperwork at least... unless you are rolling in family fortune greenbacks or something.

What question did you misinterpret on the MMPI2 Jlinn?
It was a question that I felt was worded as a double negative and that is how I answered it and apparently it wasn’t meant to be a double negative so my answer made it appear as if I was depressed.

lnc724

Newcomer
Aug 7, 2018
Hey guys. I am new to this site and new to FAA world. I applied to the first ots(of the street, bid for Westbury, NY/N90 and my friend applied to the 2nd nationwide bid. I already scheduled a test date. My question is, what is the timeline to expect Between now and oklohoma? Why do only 50% pass the atsa, is it difficult? How long does the exam take /how many questions? What is an ideal score needed?

I also applied to the N90 Bid. I scheduled my test for next week. I'm not sure there's really anything to study, just know basic/mental math and how to read signs (dials, etc.). They're moving pretty fast, being that we've scheduled our test already. So I'm guessing we can be to OKC early 2019. N90 needs people like crazy.

Sjmarsh

Newcomer
Oct 31, 2016
Tucson
I also applied to the N90 Bid. I scheduled my test for next week. I'm not sure there's really anything to study, just know basic/mental math and how to read signs (dials, etc.). They're moving pretty fast, being that we've scheduled our test already. So I'm guessing we can be to OKC early 2019. N90 needs people like crazy.
I wouldn't focus too much on the mental math. If you can subtract 5 from 9 you'll be fine. Don't bother with that BS math they throw at you during the ATC simulation section. I could barely read the question before they showed you the answer and by then you've had 15 conflicts. If you see a simple enough question in between "simulations" then go for it. I basically ignored the whole thing and have a class date 9/12. Though I may have just guessed each one. Don't think guessing hurts. Just remember to focus on the conflicts.

Maybe the N90 bid is on a fast track as they know where you're going, but I got my ATSA within 2 months of application and it still took me 2 years to get here. Not even a Tier 2...

Dmav

Jul 28, 2018
Awesome. This is really a great opportunity, really putting my best foot forward with this one. Have you purchased the atcprep as yet? Or are you planning to?

Dmav

Jul 28, 2018
I wouldn't focus too much on the mental math. If you can subtract 5 from 9 you'll be fine. Don't bother with that BS math they throw at you during the ATC simulation section. I could barely read the question before they showed you the answer and by then you've had 15 conflicts. If you see a simple enough question in between "simulations" then go for it. I basically ignored the whole thing and have a class date 9/12. Though I may have just guessed each one. Don't think guessing hurts. Just remember to focus on the conflicts.

Maybe the N90 bid is on a fast track as they know where you're going, but I got my ATSA within 2 months of application and it still took me 2 years to get here. Not even a Tier 2...
Thanks for the info. How did you feel about the exam and how long did it take you to finish? What was the most difficult part of it for you? Any tips?

Sjmarsh

Newcomer
Oct 31, 2016
Tucson
Thanks for the info. How did you feel about the exam and how long did it take you to finish? What was the most difficult part of it for you? Any tips?
Just relax when you get in. The first section seems easy at first but then it just keeps going and going. Just find a rhythm. I tend to be a fast test taker, i was first in my group to finish but still took me just under 2 hours to finish if i remember correct. And I took the break they offer but only for 10 min or so. The hardest part is a split between the logic problems and the reading section. The word problems just seemed a little vague to me. For example i felt all it needed was one more piece of info and would have been manageable. I just remember getting quite frustrated with them. The reading wasn't too bad on its own but the time they give you leaves about a minute per question and i was averaging about 62 seconds. By the end i just had to guess the last 4 or 5.

The time goes quick however. It can be hard but it doesn't last long.

daspence742

Newcomer
Jan 10, 2018
I just downloaded it. What score are you getting for the simulation /math portion and what difficulty did you use?
Hard difficulty. Honestly, the hardest difficulty in atcprep for that "balls flying around with math portion" is not as hard as the actual test was. I used a little trick on the prep because every math answer ended in a different number... not so in the real test. The balls are flying and colliding faster, and you need to be quicker on your feet than even hard difficulty in the prep.

I practiced until I was 95th percentile or better on each of the 4 sections, basically just a couple hours a week, every day, for the week leading up to the actual test.

Those "logical problems" are another story, very difficult and i'd estimate i answered half of those correctly.... nevertheless, i received my CIL.

Dmav

Jul 28, 2018
Hard difficulty. Honestly, the hardest difficulty in atcprep for that "balls flying around with math portion" is not as hard as the actual test was. I used a little trick on the prep because every math answer ended in a different number... not so in the real test. The balls are flying and colliding faster, and you need to be quicker on your feet than even hard difficulty in the prep.

I practiced until I was 95th percentile or better on each of the 4 sections, basically just a couple hours a week, every day, for the week leading up to the actual test.

Those "logical problems" are another story, very difficult and i'd estimate i answered half of those correctly.... nevertheless, i received my CIL.
Thanks for sharing your experience. What do you mean by
"I used a little trick on the prep because every math answer ended in a different number... not so in the real test."...... I can handle the collisions, but the math problems, I can barely get right, because of how huge the numbers are. There's no practice for the logical problems on the prep right?