2152 BID IS OUT.... EXPERIENCED CONTROLLERS

AK02

Apr 8, 2012
Kind of sucks you aren't allowed to put FD/CD experience on there as well to beef up your resume. One base I was at, the approach FD/CD position was harder than ground and RFC.
You can put it on there to build up your resume you just can't use it towards having 52 weeks of certified experience.

Stingchik4

Jan 29, 2014
Luv this part:

"NOTE-If you do not have a minimum of 52 weeks of certified air traffic control experience you will NOT qualify under this announcement. We hope you will instead consider applying for an announcement for entry-level ATCS trainees currently scheduled to be issued in March 2015."

...For all of those who have the "I'll just apply and see what happens" mentality, haha.

mattluby7

Newcomer
Jan 9, 2015
Maryland
Any idea of whether SUA Sector Controller falls under the 52 weeks? I don't believe this control position to fall under the "tactical" which is specifically excluded in the announcement.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Any idea of whether SUA Sector Controller falls under the 52 weeks? I don't believe this control position to fall under the "tactical" which is specifically excluded in the announcement.
Either you were an air traffic controller or you weren't. That sounds like range controller or something along those lines. Anything that wasn't working traffic in and out of a terminal or center environment doesn't fall under this announcement.

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
Pink card doesn't have the dates or ratings on it. To answer your question though yes. Also I'm in the agency I'm asking for a couple old military buddies. Pink cards weren't kept up to date so to speak. I just looked at mine and I don't have a single qual on it and I had two CTOs when I got out. So other than the pink card...

Last edited:

Dropyourpens

Apr 1, 2013
Pink card doesn't have the dates or ratings on it other than radar quals. To answer your question though yes.
I have the same issue, partly my fault for not getting my card signed. You should be able to call the facility and get them to email you a copy of a list of quals with dates on them, signed by a section officer or something. I dont know if thats official enough for the FAA but thats what I have.

Im sure it depends on where they were and how long theyve been out, I was at NKT and the office keeps very good records there so I know they still have a copy of my stuff.

Truth

Jun 22, 2011
55% of my quals do not count for anything :-( .. I got shafted into a tactical ATC when I first joined in the military.

If submitting a pink card, best to have both sides?

Dropyourpens

Apr 1, 2013
*Certified experience: In receipt of an Air Traffic certification/ATC facility rating (other than the examples listed below).
Examples of NON-QUALIFYING certified experience include:
a) Military Pre- or Post-Flight Planning/Following Experience
b) Tactical Air Traffic Control
c) Air Operations
d) Flight Data
e) Clearance Delivery
f ) There is no educational substitute for the required 52 weeks of specialized experience.

is tactical ATC only talking about deployments? I was at an auxiliary landing field where the pilots do deployment type training, field carrier landing practices and such. Though it would be considered a small and slow civilian tower, it was still a decent enough amount of ops day to day to keep me busy. Does anyone think this would fall under that category?

macdude06

Nov 21, 2011
*Certified experience: In receipt of an Air Traffic certification/ATC facility rating (other than the examples listed below).
Examples of NON-QUALIFYING certified experience include:
a) Military Pre- or Post-Flight Planning/Following Experience
b) Tactical Air Traffic Control
c) Air Operations
d) Flight Data
e) Clearance Delivery
f ) There is no educational substitute for the required 52 weeks of specialized experience.

is tactical ATC only talking about deployments? I was at an auxiliary landing field where the pilots do deployment type training, field carrier landing practices and such. Though it would be considered a small and slow civilian tower, it was still a decent enough amount of ops day to day to keep me busy. Does anyone think this would fall under that category?
Honestly everyone's best bet with these questions is to call HR. We can all guess but they will have the answer for you..

TravisTroll

Rookie
Nov 23, 2012
So if since I get out of the Air Force in November, can I not get veteran preference? (have to be within 120 days of separation)
yeah I will probably call HR about this as well.

ZEBRA

Sep 24, 2013
So if since I get out of the Air Force in November, can I not get veteran preference? (have to be within 120 days of separation)
yeah I will probably call HR about this as well.
I think that's saying if you are more than 120 days from sep you cannot claim vet pref.

Semper Fly

Aug 25, 2014
Based on the fact that there will be an OTS bid 3 months from now, is it safe to assume that most of the people applying to this current bid (who meet all requirements) will actually get hired? The reason I ask is if they were trying to fill 1000 positions in 2015, and 500 people apply to this bid, why wouldn't they take all of the ones who qualify? -- Another way of asking the same question, is there any reason to believe they will not hire someone who meets all of the requirements of this bid?