2152 BID IS OUT.... EXPERIENCED CONTROLLERS

kilomike104

Rookie
Mar 30, 2009
For the military people who haven't worked a lot of GA I suggest buying a Janes and start working on your aircraft recognition.

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
I find that silly. But I'm fairly certain the majority of military have worked a lot of GA. I have no problem calling a c206 a cessna instead of a stationair. Or even calling the full callsign. And if someone calls up as a centurion..... then it only takes one transmission to ask about the aircraft nomenclature.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
For the military people who haven't worked a lot of GA I suggest buying a Janes and start working on your aircraft recognition.
Not really a necessity. If you are able to remember your SRS shit, it doesn't really matter. Most same aircraft category have comparable characteristics IMO. I don't care if it's a C310 or a C402 or a C421 or a PA27 or a PA31 or....etc. The bigger piston twins can slow down enough if they're following a slower twin. It's all the same shit.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
I guess I was spoiled working a joint use airfield as my first facility. But like philly says, don't obsess over learning aircraft types. Familiarize yourself with them, and how they fit in the categories.

walter_white

Senior Analyst
Feb 1, 2015
I find that silly. But I'm fairly certain the majority of military have worked a lot of GA. I have no problem calling a c206 a cessna instead of a stationair. Or even calling the full callsign. And if someone calls up as a centurion..... then it only takes one transmission to ask about the aircraft nomenclature.
I'm willing to bet most military haven't worked GA, especially those with only CTO. Studying Jane's is a little overboard. Like Philly said, know your SRS. You'll find out what works and what doesn't, and once your checked out, you can push the envelope even more

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
I'm willing to bet most military haven't worked GA, especially those with only CTO. Studying Jane's is a little overboard. Like Philly said, know your SRS. You'll find out what works and what doesn't, and once your checked out, you can push the envelope even more
Bet you would be wrong. I imagine most military tower controllers worked plenty of GA transition traffic in the Class D.

acchesnut

Feb 21, 2014
Auburn, Al
So being in the navy for 5 years and a farmer for the last 2, I have zero professional attire. Can you get away with polos and khakis in the faa or do you need a more professional wardrobe?

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
So being in the navy for 5 years and a farmer for the last 2, I have zero professional attire. Can you get away with polos and khakis in the faa or do you need a more professional wardrobe?
Absolutely.
The dress code is pretty lax, actually, but my advice (that I'll be following even as a returned CPCIT) is to dress like you take yourself and the job seriously.
kahkis or nice jeans and collared shirts M-F. Neat clean T shirts only on weekends.

BrewnATC

Epic Member
Jan 28, 2015
Ass deep in a folding chair
Transiting delta and stuffing an arrival into the approach sequence are two different things.
Agreed. But what's the difference mixing fast/slow military and GA? If you can sequence an F-18 and T-34s along with helo traffic, or E2s and jets it's all the same. Plane just looks different and different SRS categories

Plus who cares about the difference between a Duke and a Baron or Skyhawk and a Centurion? November call sign works for all.

Bear-Claw

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2015
Based on where you are now. All the spring sales are going down. Got a bunch of button up shirts and nicer pants for <12$ a piece. Nicer shoes brand new on eBay for <25$ men's oxfords/alpine swiss. Look nice don't kill the bank....because apparently I'm note supposed to wear my mil uniform

Oct 25, 2011
Agreed. But what's the difference mixing fast/slow military and GA? If you can sequence an F-18 and T-34s along with helo traffic, or E2s and jets it's all the same. Plane just looks different and different SRS categories

Plus who cares about the difference between a Duke and a Baron or Skyhawk and a Centurion? November call sign works for all.
Agree. Some military airports work 1 type of aircraft, or only like type aircraft. But a lot of military air traffic facilities work mostly civilian traffic and very different types. How does working air carriers, mail runners and Novembers, not translate into an FAA facility doing the same thing?.....

WhoWantsAMoustacheRide

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2015

If you're in a tower, your instructor will likely make you care. I know that sounds ridiculous, but some of them will be sticklers for knowing aircraft identification and characteristics. I wouldn't stress over it right now, but if your instructor says "memorize it", I wouldn't say "why? who cares?".

ATCWannabe12

Rookie
Feb 27, 2015
I'm in a RAPCON and 85% of our traffic in civilian, so it probably just depends where you are and the type of facility.