3 Failed the En Route PV today

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
It's funny, there's actually a person working ghost pilot (sorta) for the tower sims too. The voice recognition isn't the greatest, so they're kind of the backup, making sure everything's running correctly. I understand it used to have a really hard time with Southern accents. Ironic, given how many people in OKC have them. I don't know if they've fixed it since then.

But yeah, you'll have an RPO on the other side. Two, actually. One's a Raytheon person who does all the ATC stuff, the other is another student in your class controlling the planes. You talk to the Raytheon person, the R-side talks to the student.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
]One's a Raytheon person who does all the ATC stuff, the other is another student in your class controlling the planes. You talk to the Raytheon person, the R-side talks to the student.
When I first got to OKC I was like wtf the student doesn't do R-side too? I found it very surprising. We did all positions at ERAU but I guess this helps them focus on D-side since it's what they'll be doing their first 2 years at their facilities.

fknlo

Jul 11, 2009
Kansas City
Judgment calls aren't going to be what makes or breaks anybody.
One of the instructors was pretty heavy handed in regards to what amounted to judgement calls. I got by far my lowest score from said instructor with 0 separation errors. "You should have done this first instead of this" and things of that nature. I didn't give a shit because I only needed a 5 or something and it was my final eval, but if I'd have failed because of something like that I probably would have freaked out a bit.

phillyman2633

Epic Member
May 13, 2010
International waters
www.drudgereport.com
One of the instructors was pretty heavy handed in regards to what amounted to judgement calls. I got by far my lowest score from said instructor with 0 separation errors. "You should have done this first instead of this" and things of that nature. I didn't give a shit because I only needed a 5 or something and it was my final eval, but if I'd have failed because of something like that I probably would have freaked out a bit.
Subjective grading can help or hurt you...just like checkrides for flying. Some guys will give you another shot if you rough a maneuver up but some will go shoulder deep in your ass...just gotta go with the flow and try to get a feel for what their style is.

jaxpilot

Jun 12, 2009
Miami, FL
Two of the radar eval problems were not very difficult. Our class had those two on the first day. The third problem was brutal, that is the one where you are very busy immediately. Fortunately I had enough points to pass the Academy after the first two problems because I did lousy on the third one. Also, some of the evaluators will take points off on a certain action while others wont. Some of their judgements are in direct contrast to what you will be taught by your Raytheon classroom instructor. It can get frustrating.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010
3 is the magic number. Sadly, some fellow classmates got sent home today. You weren't kidding about that last problem. Lol it was def brutal. But, def possible to kill it and get a good grade. I got a 73 on it, and one of my buddies in my class got a 100.

barty

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2008
But yeah, you'll have an RPO on the other side. Two, actually. One's a Raytheon person who does all the ATC stuff, the other is another student in your class controlling the planes. You talk to the Raytheon person, the R-side talks to the student.
Interesting, when I was at OKC, it was the other way around. Students made all the land line calls. It got really old when you were remoted for someone who would never pick up the tower or FSS dial lines for 20+ minutes.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Interesting, when I was at OKC, it was the other way around. Students made all the land line calls. It got really old when you were remoted for someone who would never pick up the tower or FSS dial lines for 20+ minutes.
Heh. Now it's old for the Raytheon guys. They switched it right around the same time they switched to the progressive grading format. Apparently some study showed that students learned more being the planes than being the controllers. Or so the instructors said.

BearDown

Newcomer
Apr 3, 2009
Uhh...so kind of nervous now...just quit a good job, have a mortgage, wife and newborn, heading to the academy next month...enroute ots...any suggestions on how to pass??? 7/18...find it hard to believe that 40% of the class was lackadaisical...

spades

What's happening?
Apr 20, 2009
Uhh...so kind of nervous now...just quit a good job, have a mortgage, wife and newborn, heading to the academy next month...enroute ots...any suggestions on how to pass??? 7/18...find it hard to believe that 40% of the class was lackadaisical...
Yeah...take non-radar seriously and learn your phraseology there (it will help you in radar). Yes, non-radar is not really used like it is at the academy...yes, stripmarking is not always done in the field by the book...

...but what some people don't understand is that while you're at the academy, the only thing that matters is how the academy does things.