A Different Way to Look at Things

Jan 18, 2010
Alright guys, I've been wanting to post this for awhile so I figured I finally would. If you are one of the folks that resigned because you want to be in some specific geographic location, this is of no help to you.

If you were a CPC at an FAA facility and are not applying for the 2152 jobs at HQ and the service areas, you're being extremely foolish. There are so many 2152 positions in DC filed with idiots that have never stepped foot into an FAA facility you would be a genius. Managers can't get a decent person to apply on the Current and Former lists - just the same internal candidates passing around one office to another. So they turn to the All Sources list which is nothing but 10 point veterans stretching the truth within an inch of its life to qualify as a 2152.

And the office work...glorious! Easy schedule, holidays off, vacation time! None of the facility bullshit. The pay? Identical, save for the differentials.

So, if you are sitting around with a CPC credential waiting to go back to a facility; consider a staff job.

Oh, and you can always ERR once you're back in. Facilities never turn down an ERR and you'd have no trouble being released from your cushy staff job.

harv

Jun 15, 2008
Technically, thy accept your ERR request. They just don't pick you up

Jan 18, 2010
Facilities turn down ERRs from other facilities. You'd have to have a real crappy reputation to get turned down by a facility when coming from HQ or a Service Area.

Jax

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2010
N90-EWR
Facilities turn down ERRs from other facilities. You'd have to have a real crappy reputation to get turned down by a facility when coming from HQ or a Service Area.
uhhh? why would I want to pick up a slacker desk jockey? I'll pick the guy working the boards over the paper pusher any day, and twice on Sundays.

Sounds to me that you're just another "career advancement" type, an while there is nothing wrong with that, most of us that applied to be controllers did it because we LOVE working traffic. I've had plenty of chances to bid all kinds of staff jobs, or plump details, and never did because I just prefer to work traffic.

duranme

Senior Analyst
Nov 3, 2009
BUR
Those DC jobs arent "good time" (non bargaining unit) and you cant get that sweet 30yr deal on retirement percentage with them.

Jan 18, 2010
If you're currently an FPL at a facility, this thread isn't for you. If you're on the outside waiting for some reinstatement bid to come down the line, I'd suggest looking at the option I presented here.

As far as picking up active controllers over staff folks, go nuts. Good luck with that release date.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
Sounds easy enough. I've made half a dozen referral lists for said DC jobs and never got any play on any of them.

At this point, barring a great offer somewhere else, I'm dropping anchor in the Houston area.
I networked. I kissed ass. I shopped around. And I've been passed up repeatedly.