A few clarifications for a newbie

Marjoskan

Newcomer
Feb 3, 2020
I'm separating from the AF with six years of OTJ experience in Airfield Systems/RAWS and basically done with the entire application process with the FAA for a Navcomm position at Seatac airport. I just had a few questions that I forgot to put out there during my job interview with the managers, hoping you guys can give me some good ol' insight.

I've heard that Technical Instructions arnt used as regularly in the FAA as TOs are in the Airforce. While my memory of procedures and PMIs is fine, having the TI/TO available is always reassuring and helpful. Does the FAA maintain a readily available TI library on each piece of equipment, or have access to them?

Are the training/cert classes back to back, or broken down into multiple trips over a period of a couple years?

Does having specific degrees help when promoting into I band and up? Like Supervisory/Management degrees?

What's the relationship generally like between Navcomm and tower? I'm sure it differs between airports, but in my time in the Airforce it was generally pretty friendly with them answering to the same folks in the CoC.

And any general tips for a newbie coming in? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
Does the FAA maintain a readily available TI library on each piece of equipment, or have access to them?
Yes, orders for each piece of equipment. And should be referred to regularly. Usually all info is available on the web via the FAA portals. Some facilities may have copies that they havev printed out and keep with the equipment.

Are the training/cert classes back to back, or broken down into multiple trips over a period of a couple years?
Yes, and yes. Some training classes will be back to back and some will be over years. It is all dependent on what systems are yours to maintain, and what the availability is for the classes and money for your manager to send you.

Does having specific degrees help when promoting into I band and up? Like Supervisory/Management degrees?
On the Techops side, No, "management" degrees are not required. If your plan is to eventually move into management then it would be preferred. For I band positions (usually a unit Coordinator, or maybe NASREP Evaluator) the positions are bid competitively and usually awarded based on experience and knowledge. As are Manager positions ( J band).

What's the relationship generally like between Navcomm and tower? I'm sure it differs between airports, but in my time in the Airforce it was generally pretty friendly with them answering to the same folks in the CoC .
On this side I think you will find it varies by facility. Some have good working relationships and other may not. I can only speak for myself, I worked at an ARTCC in the Automation unit. For that Center, Techops and Air Traffic as a whole, had a very good working partnership. However, there were controllers individually, from time to time, that thought they were better than everybody else. This was very infrequent but did occur. It's a working relationship that you can make better or worse. I always use to say, they need us (Techops) to provide and maintain the equipment for them to complete their job. The reverse does not hold true,

Scotter