A-firm Vs Affirmative

Devil07

Rookie
Jul 14, 2018
In the part of the country where I fly I hear a lot of people saying "A-firm" instead of "affirmative" and it drives me crazy. The term A-firm starts with a different sound "ay" vs "ah" and ends with a different sound, and only has 2 syllables instead of the expected 4 of "affirmative." I've even heard controllers have to say "say again" a couple times when a pilot uses that term.

I never heard this term on the west coast in the 90ies, but I'm hearing it constantly now in the Deep South. Is this term used everywhere these days or is it a regional non-standard term that has just recently cropped up.

Just to be clear, I hate it. But its only used by pilots, never a controller, thank goodness.

What do controllers think of the non-standard term "A-firm?"

ALSO:

What are do controllers think about the following non-standard phraseology:

1. Looking vs Negative Contact (do controllers treat "looking" the same as "negative contact?")

2. Request vs Over (on initial call to approach I was taught to say "...approach C172 Over," but no one says that anymore they say "request" or "VFR request" instead of "over." Is it useful to say "request" or "VFR request" on initial call instead of "Over?"

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
Looking to me tells me you are looking and obviously don't see whatever I am asking about.

I've never had anyone say "over" to me. If I sound busy just say your callsign and request. If I don't sound busy just go ahead with your request.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
I say affirm sometimes. Fight me.

Looking is is the same as negative contact, although ng is the proper term.

Never heard anyone say over

Devil07

Rookie
Jul 14, 2018
I say affirm sometimes. Fight me.

Looking is is the same as negative contact, although ng is the proper term.

Never heard anyone say over
I'll meet you in the quad after school. lol

I usually try to say "negative contact", but I say "looking" out of habit. I was curious if there was a difference from the controllers end, where if I say "looking" you give me a few extra seconds before spinning me. For example, I was in traffic pattern with aircraft ahead of me downwind, and tower said there was aircraft ahead at 12oclock, I said negative contact and he immediately responded with "execute 360", which got me to wondering if I had said "looking" if he would have waiting a few seconds to give me a chance to make visual contact. I eventually saw the plane as I was making 360, not really a factor given that I was in a C152 and I would have never caught up to it.

I was taught to say "over", but haven't used it in years. I think its the proper term to use, but nobody uses it. This link https://youtu.be/vp1GQvWMYkk demonstrates the proper use of the term "over" in radio communications.