Abilene, TX - ABI

DoobieScoo

Newcomer
Jun 13, 2010
I'm headed to Abilene in October after the academy, and just wondering if anyone around here works/has worked/knows people there. I'm interested in the typical stuff - average check out time, work environment, management and supes, etc. etc. etc.

Also, how's the town? Is there much to do? I'm Houston born and bred, so I'm definitely a city mouse, and a bit worried about moving to a much smaller town. Obviously anywhere you live is what you make of it, but I would love some suggestions as far as ways to make the most of the town. Thanks!

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Re: Abilene, TX-ABI

Abilene as a town is pretty dull. I've got a pretty good friend who lives just outside of town. Said she spent most of her high school days snorting coke since she was so bored. I probably wouldn't recommend trying that one out, though. But like you said... you know, it's what you make of it. At least you're off the interstate, so if you're really losing your mind it's a straight shot up to the Metroplex, or an hour and a half to Lubbock to watch the Red Raiders lose to someone.

RdRunnr12

Epic Member
May 10, 2009

Tech does have some AMAZING women though. I think they are in the top 10 in STD's per student too. Hot and easy, just how I like 'em.

Roach

Rookie
Aug 4, 2009
Ft. Worth

Just graduated the Academy and I start on Tuesday. Just moved into town from Fort Worth. It's a nice town, but yeah it's way more low key than Houston. Anywho, i'm cool with it.

csmcfadden

Newcomer
May 5, 2010

I know a few people at ABI, if you want, I can get the work number for you and a name. Do not know much about the check out time, but I do know that they are building a new tower with NO radar room attached. The word on the street is that ABI Tracon will go into D10's building as its own tracon (not part of DFW Tracon). However, there has been some big uproar and it may stay in ABI in its current location or a new building that will be added on to the tower at a latter date. With all that said, do not believe it until it happens.

DoobieScoo

Newcomer
Jun 13, 2010
We've been in the new tower a little over a year. The TRACON is a temporary building, no answers one way or the other about whether the approach is leaving. We've gone from on the docket to be moved to no decision either way, though they have been letting our staffing dwindle as though it will be gone. I guess we're the first building that will be evaluated if congress accepts the new process the FAA and NATCA have negotiated. We're perhaps 2 years from the absolute tipping point (in terms of staffing), and those of us with bid packets out are already being told (unofficially, of course) not to expect anything close to a reasonable release date. Any other questions, hit me up. Don't expect a super quick response, but I've been finding myself on about once a week lately so it won't take forever.

Maxkafka

Newcomer
Feb 1, 2011
I'm no controller, but I was living in Abilene from last summer until earlier this year. As others have mentioned, it's not the most exciting town in the country. I usually enjoy hiking and camping, but you'll find that nearly all of the land for quite a while outside of ABI is private property, so you'll have to travel a bit for a variety in outdoor activities. Also, I'm from a northern state and don't really get into the whole country vibe, but if that's for you then there are plenty of fitting bars and rodeos IIRC.

On the bright side, they have a pretty cool bar named Barley Hoppers Drafthouse on East 1st street that has a very large variety of craft beers from Texas and all over the US, and they host events every Tuesday featuring a different craft brewery. The city has a highway that loops around the city with speed limits at 75 or 80, so it is quick and easy to get from one side of the city to the other. I lived on the west side of town by the Air Force base, and commuted to the airport every day in about 12-15 minutes door-to-door. While I was there I worked at the FBO on the airfield and the amount of traffic is relatively light but steady throughout the day. They've got maybe 10-12 regional flights a day spaced out about every hour, as well as usually getting 4-12 military training aircraft doing touch and go's for a couple hours a day. Civilian traffic was also slow but steady, mostly small business jets and Kingairs. Mexico is just down the road (leave town on 277 South and stay on the same road for 5 hours or so), and Big Bend National Park is out that direction, which if you've never been to I HIGHLY recommend visiting when you have a chance.

Sorry I don't have much else, but if you have any more specific questions feel free to PM and I'll tell you what I know.

Delta

Mar 18, 2014
A guy in my tower class back in 2008 went to Abilene and a search of FAA directory shows he's still there so he must like it.
Does he like it there, or is he stuck there Bc of manning? That's the part that makes me nervous.

E-rod

Newcomer
Jan 30, 2014
Italy
This Facility is a TRACAB. Mod pls update. Initial position is (RD/FD/GC/CD), followed by LC, RLC.

Stinger

Epic Member
May 24, 2009
I thought they had a separate tracon downstairs, I thought Lubbock, Amarillo, and abiline were very similar
Sorta. There was some shenanigans involved when they were building the new tower.
D10 was originally going to take the airspace, and I heard something about ABI natca being involved saying the controllers wanted to stay in ABI, hoping for a fully paid move to D10. But anyway, approach stayed at ABI and since the new tower wasn't designed with a tracon they ended up just using a trailer outside of the tower to house the approach control. Instead of dealing with that hassle, the approach is kept upstairs in a tracab configuration.
Here's the Section 804 workgroup recommendation.
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/Section804.pdf

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Oh my lord! Haha Typical FAA planning
What a cluster
Wasnt it West palm Beach awhile ago that the FAA tried to do something similar, and they ended up building a new tower and a separate approach control right next to it hahahahaha
Ridiculous