about joining the military

Pants81

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
My ATC class in A school had 25 students....15 Navy, 10 Marines...only 6 people finished and went on...all ten marines washed out. Not sure why so many people didnt do so well but the marines could not pass the tests to save their life....I would not role into the military in any of the branches, or cti, or faa thinking its gonna be easy and any one could do it

ShockSniper

Rookie
Mar 13, 2009
don't know if anyone has told you but find a Air National guard unit that has Air Traffic...like NC, SC, PA....so on and so on. that way you can become a controller for the guard and the FAA. It's the way to do. I'm in the MI guard and will soon be going to D21. Once there I'll be able to work as a FAA controller and do my guard time. While I'm doing my guard time I'll be able to double dip...meaning I'll get paid by the guard and the FAA. It's a good deal. If you have any other question let me know. If the FAA is where you want to end up once you are rated the Guard is the way to go.

DASAUTO

Banned
Mar 13, 2009
Becoming an Air Force Tin Pusher was the most stressful and destructive decision I've ever made. The training regemine is designed to either change your personality, or mentally destroy you. Working under incompetent supervisors and civillian controllers made me regret the choice on a daily basis. I have never been so verbally abused in my life.
LOL..ive been stationed at 5 places. In my experience...the one;s who are always "verbally abused," or think they are being verbally abused are the one's who can't get their head outta their ass...be it they can't perform ATC duties well, or they just can't "play the game" and not fuck up until their enlistment is up. Im just sayin'.

Ramstar13

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Mexico City
My ATC class in A school had 25 students....15 Navy, 10 Marines...only 6 people finished and went on...all ten marines washed out. Not sure why so many people didnt do so well but the marines could not pass the tests to save their life....I would not role into the military in any of the branches, or cti, or faa thinking its gonna be easy and any one could do it
id like to know when pants81 went t his navy A school for a few reasons, 1. its very fishy 2. its misleading for someone who would want to join 3. 15 squids and 10 marines, all the MaRines washed out? Washed out what? A school? yeah thats def a lie. the classes are not even 25 deep to begin with.

atcguruaf

Rico Suave
Jan 4, 2009
Right here
I only read a few posts... I'll give you my story/history about joining the Air Force:

I initially joined at 18 to be security forces. When I went to MEPS, I was about to sign the dotted line. I saw a list on the recruiter's desk with all of the careers that contained bonuses. Air Traffic Control was listed first.

I had no idea what it was about or what Air Traffic Controllers did. I didn't even think they were the guys with the orange flashlights. I literally was clueless. When I asked the recruiter what it was, he told me not to worry about it - that it wasn't worth it because sooo many people wash out (this is in Dec. 2000) and I probably couldn't do it.

I didn't care what he said from then on. I told him I would only sign on as a controller. Not to go into too much detail, but after enough tugging and teeth pulling, he made it happen, albeit upset about it.

I struggled in tech school. After barely passing my tests, I finally failed one. My instructor wanted to wash me back a block of training (block 4 to block 3). I said no, I just need another chance to take a test. He took it up the chain. I was informed that if I didn't pass this test or any other tests, I would wash out of the career field. I accepted the terms and did not fail another test, barely passing my CTO exam with a 78 or something like that.

I went on to Moody AFB, Valdosta, GA. I went through a program called "front load training" there. It was more intense than tech school. I failed 1 test, and was granted another chance (which I passed). Be advised, we took tests DAILY. I failed another test, and I was told that if I failed another, I would be washed out. They felt I wasn't putting in enough effort.

I didn't fail another test. I was putting in 12-hour days. I would visit the tower cab and ask questions on my day(s) off. I would arrive early and leave late. I became all-business from thereon. After my newly found drive, I received several "trainee of the week" awards (something we did in-house). I began excelling. It was hard work, but it was worth it.

My lack of "book" knowledge or lack of the ability to learn as quickly as others really didn't hinder me. When I got up to the tower cab and began training, I was the first to get fully qualified. I even set a record for how fast I got checked out. I never looked back.

My point? Don't let anyone tell you this is too hard. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do this. If I can do it, anyone can. I genuinely believe this. To this day, I still keep my nose in the books. When I hear whining from a trainee/developmental, I know it's B.S. because I put forth the effort. And if I wanted it bad enough to put forth whatever efforts were necessary, then the struggling trainee/developmental needs to do the same, that is if they really want this job.

I don't hear excuses. I will not accept them. I worked really hard to attain what I have today. And I'm not just some chump either when it comes to controlling. My controlling abilities come first, then comes my book knowledge. I'm still the same guy from the bario, but I put forth the effort.

You can do it. It may seem like it would take A LONG time, but when I look back, it went by in a flash. These people complaining of instructors or blaming people, etc. is hogwash. Your career in this field and training progression relies solely on you. Your trainers/supervisors may guide you or tweak your skills, but everything mainly rests on your shoulders.

Joining the Air Force was the best decision I made, my second best decision was telling the recruiter (in my head) "FUCK YOU, who are you to tell me what I can and can't do?" and becoming an air traffic controller.

From Moody, I went to Nellis where I became a well-respected trainer and was one that people looked to for information and training. At one point I had 12 trainees under my belt at the same time. I didn't care though. I was willing to help those that were willing to try. Afterall, I was there. I struggled and knew what being a trainee was like. It sucked.

With the right attitude, I say fuck everyone. No, it won't be easy, but yes, ANYONE can do it. I'm as big a rock as you can get, so again, if I can do it, you can. No excuses.

I hope this helps. And just so you know, I wouldn't change a thing or event in my life that brings me to the point where I am today. The struggles that I endured in the military made me a better controller, and it was waaaayy worth it, regardless of how difficult it was.

I can't speak about the other branches, because I never joined them. My civilian counterparts have all been Navy, Marines, and Army. Each of them is proud for serving in their respective branches, but when I and others tell them about the lifestyle and living conditions that we encountered in the Air Force, they get a little jealous. Not in a bad way, just wish they could have had the same experience. The Air Force was great! (not to mention the women are better looking) te he te he

Good Luck!

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
not that much better looking. I think there are 5 hot girls per 3000 people on base. Dont join the military for any love, but the love of your country. :p

coopfam91

Newcomer
Dec 28, 2008
Honolulu, HI
Navy's not bad ATC duty. I've done it for 19+ years. Planning on retiring in 3 months. With the Navy you need a minimum ASVAB of 50. It is a 5 year enlistment. If you chose Navy, make sure they sign you up for AC A school at MEPS. Go into boot camp with your rate guaranteed. Don't let them talk you into signing up without a job. With the 5 year contract youll get to experience both sea and shore duty. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. ATC in any branch is still the best job in the military.

SSgt Young

StuckMic Marine Corps Liaison
Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
The navy A school wash out rate was somewhere around 30-40% I think maybe a little higher. The reason most people washed out was part because we went to school with Marines who a lot of the time were rocks and washed out and the other people mostly washed out because they partied too much, didnt study, and really didnt care. But everyone that studied and put forth a half ass effort made it through fine.

I'd like to know when you went to A school. The navy washout rate for the time i taught there until now is 35%. The average Marine washout rate is on average 27% and 4% of that is due to NPQ.

vm2152

Sep 10, 2008
Siidman you're an idiot and a liar

My class had about 11-14 in it (that varied due to Navy drop backs and pick ups), 4 were Marines the rest sailors. Two Marines (yours truely included) flirted with 100%, the other two were 90% ish. All of the Marines graduated higher than the Sailors, including the re-tread lat movers. One of the Marines we nicknamed Joe-Joe the idiot circus boy (all in good fun) and yes; he scored higher than every Sailor in our class.

I would welcome any opportunity to challenge your your so-called intelect any day of the week, I would also love the opportunity to show you just how "un-friendly" I become with arrogant @ss's like yourself.

JB

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
The navy A school wash out rate was somewhere around 30-40% I think maybe a little higher. The reason most people washed out was part because we went to school with Marines who a lot of the time were rocks and washed out and the other people mostly washed out because they partied too much, didnt study, and really didnt care. But everyone that studied and put forth a half ass effort made it through fine.
HAHA speak for yourself bro, i was a returnee and went to portside or out in town and got drunk most of the time, i think i studied for seek and sep and that was it, still aced it.... But ya alot of the marines were "rocks" (good navy usage lol) but then again most of the teachers there were marines anyways. We had 9 marines the day our class started, by block 2 we had 5, by graduation we had 2, only 1 navy washed out and because he didn't wanna be there anyways. Fun times tho!

NizmoSR20

The Silver Bullet
Jul 28, 2009
Ft. Worth, Texas!
I'd like to know when you went to A school. The navy washout rate for the time i taught there until now is 35%. The average Marine washout rate is on average 27% and 4% of that is due to NPQ.
My guess, is the washout rate is lower for the marines cause there's only about 1/4 of them to navy... Alot of them did do good, but there were others who were just morons, navy and marines alike... i'm guessing its also like that in every branch that offers ATC school. HEY ssgt young... did you know Sala?

SSgt Young

Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
My guess, is the washout rate is lower for the marines cause there's only about 1/4 of them to navy... Alot of them did do good, but there were others who were just morons, navy and marines alike... i'm guessing its also like that in every branch that offers ATC school. HEY ssgt young... did you know Sala?

I know GySgt Sala very well. Washout are done by percentage for a reason. So if i know the navy washout rate to be 35%, that means 35% of the total number there. Same for the Marines. Our washout rate is 23%. So that means we graduate 77% to the Navy's 65%. Maybe it has something to do with inability to do simple math. I wonder?

JP13

Oct 4, 2008
momoville
Join the AF if you want to be a controller, you will be a controller first...where as in the marines and navy, you are a marine or seaman first. Also, in the AF you dont have to worry about this shore and carrier bs. Oh yeah, living conditions are way better in the AF.

SSgt Young

Jan 21, 2010
Arizona
I love this misconception that just because we are riflemen first everyone thinks all we do is fight and train. That couldn't be further from the truth. All that saying means is we are trained how to fight should the need arise. That way we don't end up like that Jessica Lynch convoy and get captured without firing a shot with our filthy dirty weapons. I do agree that Air Force living conditions are better though.