Academy Leave of Abscence

KStoves

Aug 22, 2011
I'll be attending the academy soon. My wife will be staying home as she still has her own job and one semester left of school to finish.

im hoping to visit her at least once. Has anyone ever left the academy and hopped on a plane for to get away from OKC for a few days? Are there harsh consequences for taking time off?

Ryanmas9

Trusted Member
Aug 11, 2015
Monroe, NC
I'll be attending the academy soon. My wife will be staying home as she still has her own job and one semester left of school to finish.

im hoping to visit her at least once. Has anyone ever left the academy on hopped on a plane for to get away from OKC for a few days? Are there harsh consequences for taking time off?
During the academy you don't get any time off. If you can make it home over the weekend and be back Monday morning in class you'll be golden. That's pretty risky however considering you may have delayed or canceled flights. If not your best option is have her come visit you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SayAgain3

Trusted Member
Feb 13, 2017
Have her come to you, leaving on a weekend is playing with fire. If your flight is delayed/cancelled and you miss class on Monday, you're in trouble. I don't know if it's changed but when I went through if you were late showing up to work or coming back on a break... once you were fine, second you were fired.

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
Yah... and since you're a probie, if you end up unable to return to OKC and miss class (even if it was the airline's fault and you have tickets showing you would have returned on time)... that's bad juju at best and fireable at worst, with no recourse available for you.

KStoves

Aug 22, 2011
Ok it sounds like a regular weekend is out of the question. Does anyone know if they give an extended break for Thanksgiving that I could possibly take advantage of?

ambers1032

Senior Analyst
Jan 5, 2010
Pretty sure you're off Thursday thanksgiving but you have to work the Friday so that wouldn't work either. I went out of town on a holiday but it was a 3 day weekend where the holiday fell on a Monday.

ClearanceClarence

Trusted Contributor
May 24, 2014
I came home a couple times during initial training. While it is frowned upon, it's totally doable. Keep in mind the FAA can't condone everyone and their brother leaving while at Oklahoma. It is an inheirant risk and they know that, which is why they put all the liability on you. Flying out of okc was expensive when I was there, though. Rent a car and drive 3 hrs to Dallas, bc unless you can get to your destination direct from okc (they do go quite a few places but all hubs) you're going to have to connect anyway. My bit of advice is wait to find out your schedule, and while their not set in stone when u get them, try to find a week where you're on days and would get out of class at 330p... And then your class goes to nights the next week, meaning you wouldn't start til 330p the following Monday, which buys you some buffer time in case things get hairy coming back.

DL0509

May 26, 2016
I would refrain from posting anything on social media saying your are home. Even if you make it home and back on time, if they find out you left OKC, supposedly they can withhold your per-diem for the time you are gone. That being said if you plan your trip on a 3 day weekend, and leave on the first flight back to OKC you shouldn't have any issues. I went home on a 3 day weekend for my daughters first birthday party with family and it was well worth the trip.

HenryTheAce

Jul 21, 2014
ZMP -> D21
People in my class would go home here and there. One time the weather was bad and two people didn't make it back to class on Monday. They just said they were sick and couldn't make it in. They just had to fill out some paperwork when they got back. Don't post anything on FB to let the FAA know you're home, in case the flight gets delayed/cancelled and you can't make it back. I was in OKC May-Sept of 2015 so don't know if it's changed since then.... Doubt it has considering they've been running the same airspace, scenarios, and pv's for years.

Austin888

Newcomer
Mar 2, 2010
I was given a very rare 1 day of sick leave to go home over a weekend and be with my 2 week old son who had contracted bacterial meningitis. This was 3 years ago. I knew my facility beforehand and got approval from my ATM. My class was also between academics and the labs so I didn't miss anything major. The point I'm making is that I got a very rare exception because of the seriousness of the situation. The people at the academy were understanding but warned me that if I were to need more time that I was risking losing my job. They do not mess around so if it's not serious, I wouldn't risk it.
(PS my 3 year old is happy and healthy now!)

77Xpilot

Rookie
Nov 20, 2016
I am at the academy now. Don't fly anywhere on the weekend, it's not worth the risk. We all have our significant others visit if you can't make it without seeing them while you are here.