Academy Placement

kctellis

Newcomer
Jul 19, 2016
New Jersey
You have to be mentally unstable, with a strong penchant for not wanting any discretionary income. Ever.
Well since I am from up here, I would like to if possible come back. I heard that it is on "backlog" but I do not go into the academy for another month, so I wanted to know if anyone has any information or maybe a tip on an estimated time that it would probably be off the selection list.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
You have to be mentally unstable, with a strong penchant for not wanting any discretionary income. Ever.
You make plenty of money at the level 12 facilities in NY. Sure you don't have the qol that someone in ATL does, but you're most def not in the poor house.

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
That's if you make it. 12% pass rate in the domestic sectors, oceanic fully staffed, and three out of five years of training making peanuts. Most people will end up in debt and most likely getting sent to a tower after a couple of years. There's a good reason why people avoid ZNY at all costs.
Not to mention the "good money" you make goes no where near as far than at other level 12's. Property taxes alone on something equivalent to what I have in Memphis is almost 1.5 times my total current mortgage payment.

If you want to live in a basement or in a room over a garage I am sure you can find something cheaper but very few would want to live that way for an entire career.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Not to mention the "good money" you make goes no where near as far than at other level 12's. Property taxes alone on something equivalent to what I have in Memphis is almost 1.5 times my total current mortgage payment.

If you want to live in a basement or in a room over a garage I am sure you can find something cheaper but very few would want to live that way for an entire career.

im at level 12 on LI and on the more expensive side of the island than the center (notnincluding the Hamptons). Im doing quite well financially. No, your money will not go as far as it will in ATL or Houston, but you also make more with locality than most of those places. Assuming you get checked out, then money will not be a worry for you.

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
im at level 12 on LI and on the more expensive side of the island than the center (notnincluding the Hamptons). Im doing quite well financially. No, your money will not go as far as it will in ATL or Houston, but you also make more with locality than most of those places. Assuming you get checked out, then money will not be a worry for you.
You could move to Mastic Beach and be a true pimp with money to spend. Or Brentwood, lol.

jdatc624

Dec 30, 2010
Center/center/tracon
www.youtube.com

Exactly, plus if you are married, your signifigant other will generally make more. For instance, a teacher out on The island makes about twice as much as a teacher in say the vicinity of Cleveland Center. If your significant other is on say, the finance Side of things, they may make a significant amount more the metro northeast, then another less expensive area.

NovemberEcho

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Long Island
Exactly, plus if you are married, your signifigant other will generally make more. For instance, a teacher out on The island makes about twice as much as a teacher in say the vicinity of Cleveland Center. If your significant other is on say, the finance Side of things, they may make a significant amount more the metro northeast, then another less expensive area.
im married but my wife isn't working yet, but i drive a $50k truck and just bought a $500k home on just my ATC salary. Basically if you're certified at a 12 in LI and are broke you're doing life wrong. (Or doing it extremely awesomely depending on why you're broke). Now those guys at FRG and ISP, no idea how they do it lol

wxdude

Jun 5, 2015
im married but my wife isn't working yet, but i drive a $50k truck and just bought a $500k home on just my ATC salary. Basically if you're certified at a 12 in LI and are broke you're doing life wrong. (Or doing it extremely awesomely depending on why you're broke). Now those guys at FRG and ISP, no idea how they do it lol
No kids is nice. 😉

kkolberga

May 23, 2012
That's like, your opinion, man.
Yes it is my opinion I guess I just don't understand HOW kids aren't like the best thing ever to happen to someone. lol

On another note, does anyone have a link to the most recent placement list. The one on pointsixtyfive isn't available.

DL0509

May 26, 2016
Its updated every other week or so, by one of the few people in the FAA that will actually pull the info and post it.

Life's a Breeze

Newcomer
Oct 22, 2015
First time poster, and new to Stuckmic. Any word on recent class placements? Thread went a little cold. Humbled TOL holder jumping through the pre-employment hoops at the moment.. Thanks in advance