Academy Tower Questions

ATController1

Rookie
Mar 10, 2010
Hey, I had a few quick questions hopefully someone will be able to help me with:

1. For Tower Cab training at the academy, are we required to know ALL remaining runway distances for each runway/taxiway intersection?

2. Is there anywhere we can find a CTO study guide online?

3. For the NWS visibility test, does anyone know any quick simplified tips for finding the prevailing visibility?

4. What do most students have trouble with throughout tower cab training?

Thanks for the help.

STL2CVG

Senior Analyst
Feb 2, 2009
Cincinnati
1. If you want to use it, it can be very helpful. It's not that hard to learn.

2. Not that I know of, but if you go through the academy you will learn the material in ample time to take the test.

3. The NWS test isn't hard at all. Once again, this will be taught to you. Nothing to really worry about ahead of time.

4. Phraseology, phraseology, and phraseology! Practice it.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
everyone gets so worried about stuff before they even get there. They know you are starting from scratch and will train you properly. OKC has a 99.9% pass rate... if you cant pass that then you truly weren't meant for ATC.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
Don't listen to STL. He's been high on alcohol and nicotine since he's gotten there.

ATController1

Rookie
Mar 10, 2010
STL, thanks for the heads up on all of my questions! Polo, not nervous at all Brother. Just inquiring about some study materials I can get before going to OKC so instead of focusing primarily on theory and didactic instruction, I can concentrate more on technique and the tower operation.

Steve_O

Rookie
Feb 4, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I'm pretty sure the only thing you will concentrate on is what you're gonna be doing the next weekend that will top what you did last weekend. Seriously, this stuff is not that hard. Technique is something you will learn at your facility, no sense in trying to apply too much of it here. Just do enough to pass the PV, don't get too creative or you will kick yourself in the rear end when you bust a PV because of something stupid.

Barney13

Jun 12, 2009
where u all wanna be...
everyone gets so worried about stuff before they even get there. They know you are starting from scratch and will train you properly. OKC has a 99.9% pass rate... if you cant pass that then you truly weren't meant for ATC.
This is a little high not not far off.. We give u all u need to be successful
BUT u actually have to learn judgement and priorities.. keep it simple and u should be fine.. Learn A/C types, categories, and weight classes..