Academy?

Ragz

Newcomer
Apr 17, 2019
Hello,

Just trying to find more information about the classes I'll be taking as a new hire(possibly). I was just wondering what happens if you fail a course? Do you get fired, get another chance or make it up in house?

JayTango

Feb 21, 2016
Hello,

Just trying to find more information about the classes I'll be taking as a new hire(possibly). I was just wondering what happens if you fail a course? Do you get fired, get another chance or make it up in house?
From what I’ve read on forums they only give second chances if you had a loved one die during or something of that nature. Checkout pointsixtyfive.com and read their Hiring FAQ page.

SMS

Trusted Member
Oct 28, 2014
New Hire, A.K.A Common Principles for ATSS folks is changing from the in-residence model to a blend of in-residence and correspondence courses. None of the courses are immediate job jeopardy...but failing a course while you are in your one year probation phase is not a good way to start out. Failures and remedial training will be handled by your manager.

After Common Principles you will likely attend various technical training courses based on what equipment your manager decides to assign to you. Those will be a blend of in residence, correspondence, and on the job training.

Scotter

Jan 4, 2010
Southwest Regional Office
Just adding my .02 cents. You really should have no trouble with any of the FAA schools. If you are prior military, these are easier (in most respects) than any military service school. If you show up on time and pay attention you will do fine.

Scotter

BigHorse

Feb 27, 2013
U'll be fine. Reach out to any ATSS at New York TRACON and ask about the person that failed a required course that's needed for a major certification, FOUR times !! And that's including at OKC

somms

Jun 18, 2008
SLC
Reach out to any ATSS at New York TRACON and ask about the person that failed a required course that's needed for a major certification, FOUR times !! And that's including at OKC
Sounds like a future manager!;)