Aero Center

ttuclliw

Newcomer
Oct 14, 2008
Academy map / study material

Does anyone know where I can get the Aero Center map to study for the academy?

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
here is a link to the map. http://www.atccti.com/document/nonradar.jpg
The upper left map is all you need to memorize, the rest comes on a cheat sheet for the non-radar portion. It does help to memorize that stuff, but at least for my class we were allowed to use our cheat sheet throughout the non-radar portion including on the final test. Everything on the map may not make sense until you get there and start going through it, then everything on it written anywhere will come up at some point.

You do get plenty of time to memorize this map, and it is the easiest map you will likely ever have to memorize in your career.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Well that link didn't work for me and there is a pattern to the map. PM if you want to learn how I learned it. I scored a 54% on the pretest (Cuz i was busy studying the more important stuff like phraseology) and got a 97% on the real map test. That was a difference of 3 days. It's not hard to learn at all.

klkm

Jun 26, 2008
Sorry, updated the link, should work. As was said it is very easy to learn and there is a pattern to all of it.

n0b0dy100

Newcomer
Oct 4, 2008
Islip NY
You could always find someone in a non-radar class and hand them a piece of paper. I'm sure they could draw you that map on the spot!

jonesy

Rookie
Oct 12, 2008
This might be a stupid question but, do you have to memorize all those numbers and symbols? when you say the upper left map are you talking about the box with the seperations, minutes, and miles? or the map it's self?

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
All the numbers. Every single one of them. As far as the box, no. You don't need to know that for the map test, but it's a good thing to know once you start doing problems.

barty

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2008
How do you guys learn all of the Victor airways? VORs and airports I have no problem with. Even as a pilot, I've never seen any pattern to the way they number those airways.

brandonwoz

Rookie
Sep 28, 2008
There is/was probably some fundamental way they number those, however with many of those airways criss-crossing and spanning over hundreds of miles bears no real pattern. I would venture to say (and this is what I have been doing) is learning these airways is ultimately a function of repetition and memorization. Although, I would be very interested to learn -if anyone knows - if there is a pattern or method to naming them.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I dunno if there is a pattern to how they are numbered, but repetition is the easiest way to learn them.