After Not Being Selected.

angelorozco101

Oct 27, 2011
🇺🇸
Hello, I don't know about you guys, but chances are, I won't be selected this bid, or any upcoming bid. I really want to be a controller some day , but I doubt I'll be selected any time soon. Especially because all I have is an AS and work experience. Do any of you guys have a plan B? I have a pretty good paying job, but it's in retail. I don't want to do this the rest of my life. I'm turning 23 this year and I was wondering if I pursued ATC in the military, would I be pushing the age limit when I came out? Does any one know the ASVAB score needed to qualify for ATC ? What do you guys suggest?

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009
Going active duty is one option. Another is to just make yourself more competitive in the new PUBNAT process. A big discriminator is vet preference. Maybe just join the national guard (ATC or not) so you aren't committed to 6 years active duty but still get vet preference. Also, finish your 4 year degree and maybe get a pilot license. I think the combination of these things plus your continuing work experience, you should have a pretty good shot over the next couple years.

EDIT: Sorry I'm an active duty guy and didn't realize there are some stipulations for national guard to get vet preference. Do some research on that for more info. My other suggestions to make yourself more competitive still stand. Don't just accept that you'll have to apply year in and year out with a 2 year degree and some work experience. Get more aviation experience with a pilots license and maybe a dispatch license and finish your 4 year degree. Those things will push you ahead of the group. If you want it bad enough (and it sounds like you do) you'll make it happen.

Last edited:

Romeoyankme

Rookie
Nov 27, 2013
Nellis AFB
If you did Air Force you'd have to commit 6 years. Being 29 and having experience, possibly a cto and higher education, I'd peg you to have an excellent chance to get selected. In the military you get a steady pay check, tuition assistance and to work aircraft on a daily basis. Even if you missed the FAA age limit, you could get and and be DOD employed and work traffic.

ZEBRA

Sep 24, 2013
In the Marine Corps it's a 5 year enlistment. You can apply while still on active duty so you will be well within the age limit. You need to sign a contract code "AJ" which is Aviation Operations. It entails 4 possible jobs but if your GT score is over a 110 on the ASVAB you're almost guaranteed ATC. I've heard of people's recruiters putting notes in their enlistment package saying "Requests ATC" or something similar, but I have no idea how much that's worth. Look into all the branches though, if you want to do ATC don't stop until you get a contract guaranteeing that. It's your life.

clehnert

Newcomer
Sep 28, 2010
If you join, go Navy or Airforce. I say Navy because that's what I did for 10 years (I got a TOL with this group on the 1st). With either you have a good chance of getting a CTO out of it. If you really want to be a controller, you don't have to be FAA with a CTO. You could go DOD/contract and still control if you don't get in because of age, However you'll still have a few years when you get out depending on my long you sign up for. Try 4 but I know navy use to be mandatory 5 because of school. Not sure these days. Just be aware you could deploy. Plus, with military controllers, it's a different world. It's a brother/sisterhood that I wouldn't give up for anything. Just realize, going in older you will be told what to do by ppl younger than you and be trained by them too. Just stay humble and remember why you are there... To be a controller. Good luck to you!

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Another option is to become an officer in the AF doing ATC. Decent pay, and you'd be in charge of airfield ops. Decent back up plan if ATC doesn't pan out

ZEBRA

Sep 24, 2013
Another option is to become an officer in the AF doing ATC. Decent pay, and you'd be in charge of airfield ops. Decent back up plan if ATC doesn't pan out
He would have to finish his BS first before he could become an officer though, right? That's another 2 years of schooling for him.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
He would have to finish his BS first before he could become an officer though, right? That's another 2 years of schooling for him.
Right. Two years of school, 4 year commitment would put him right around 29

angelorozco101

Oct 27, 2011
🇺🇸
I think I will do military instead of a 4 year degree with aviation certificates. A 4 year degree won't guarantee me anything. I know being VRA won't either but I will have a way better chance of getting into the FAA or DOD. I hope they are in need of ATC in the AF!

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009
I would also suggest just waiting to hear back from this panel just in case. Would be kind of ironic if you actually got picked up a few days after signing the dotted line for the AF.

angelorozco101

Oct 27, 2011
🇺🇸
After seeing how many people more qualified than I applied, my hopes are at a 0. But I will definitely wait until I get the "not selected " update.

angelorozco101

Oct 27, 2011
🇺🇸
So I just spoke to an AF recruiter. I explained to him that I would only be interested in ATC. He pretty much shot me down saying he wouldn't even want to work with me because I wouldn't take any other job offer. Which I understand because he said you choose 8 jobs to apply for, and ATC doesn't get offered often. What do you guys suggest? Enlist in some other job for 4 years and get vets preference? I need advice:/ that would put me @ 26/27 years old if I do.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Try a navy recruiter. I've heard they're more apt to give you a specific job.

lrcr

Apr 29, 2011
Seattle, WA
"shop" around. They have positions in demand to fill and if you aren't interested they are unlikely going to help you. Try all branches.

thedenti5t

Feb 11, 2014
So I just spoke to an AF recruiter. I explained to him that I would only be interested in ATC. He pretty much shot me down saying he wouldn't even want to work with me because I wouldn't take any other job offer. Which I understand because he said you choose 8 jobs to apply for, and ATC doesn't get offered often. What do you guys suggest? Enlist in some other job for 4 years and get vets preference? I need advice:/ that would put me @ 26/27 years old if I do.
Go to navy recruiter and tell them you want AC and that's it. As long as qualify on the ASVAB, you should get it.

vm2152

Sep 10, 2008
I wish you well but don't expect a rose garden. Not to be too cliche. Fresh off the press today is a complete down sizing of the Armed Forces. Don't expect any recruiter to bend over backwards to get you what you want, when I was on the streets recruiting (USMC) the AF had crazy waiting lists to get in, and that was the hight of unemployment.