After Not Being Selected.

AF_ATC

Trusted Member
Nov 20, 2009
I wish you well but don't expect a rose garden. Not to be too cliche. Fresh off the press today is a complete down sizing of the Armed Forces. Don't expect any recruiter to bend over backwards to get you what you want, when I was on the streets recruiting (USMC) the AF had crazy waiting lists to get in, and that was the hight of unemployment.
This is true. We are amidst one of the most difficult times to "get hired" by the military, let alone in the careerfield you want. But you can't get in if you don't try. Even with the continual cutbacks, they won't stop the "new hire" pipeline. If they do that, there will be a large gap in rank. So someone is going to get an ATC slot, might as well be you. It will just be more difficult than before.

thedenti5t

Feb 11, 2014
Good advice from AF. One thing I will say is don't sign anything unless your guaranteed ATC. Some might say we can get you in as "this" and then you can switch over, don't go for it. It's a lot harder and takes a longer than they make it sound.

Ram_Tough

Trusted Contributor
Jul 5, 2010
That ^^^. The nuber one "mistruth" told by recruiters has to be' "If you don't like your job, you can change it in 2 years." While, this is correct, the regulations allow for it, don't place any bets on it actually happening.

AFATC13M

Newcomer
Dec 21, 2013
National guard will not give you vet pref points however, you will still get ratings and will be able to apply on all future VRA bids even without vet preference points. Plus it will boost your resume. The training all together would be around 16 months depending if you got selected for RAPCON or TOWER. I am an Officer 13M and I have many enlisted people that are going this route to get picked up by the FAA. Also, if you have to wait for a job with the FAA you can always go technician controller at a small contract tower perhaps at your base that you are assigned to. This route makes it easy for you to apply to the FAA and not have to wait until you are 26 since you will be guard status one weekend a month 2 weeks a year. Let me know if this helps

gjohnson1989

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2014
Not to take over the thread, but I have a question for all of you. I just wondering what your opinions are on my chances of getting selected for ATC. I have a Bachelor's Degree and Veteran's preference (5 points). I attached my resume and DD214 onto the online application so they have all my military and educational information. I haven't heard anything back yet. What are your opinions on my chances and when do you think I'll be able to hear something back?

lrcr

Apr 29, 2011
Seattle, WA
My crystal ball says yes, but who knows how they are going to grade that bq. How did you do in high school? Kidding, but maybe not.

gjohnson1989

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2014
bq?

Haha but I did awesome in High School. 3.7 GPA and an Academic Honors diploma. As if that's hard to do in high school.

Aug 15, 2011
You and I are in the exact same boat! I'm struggling with this very same decision. I went through the recruiter and ASVAB and background check already though. The only thing I have left to do is get my physical and swear in. I was schedule and set to go for my physical until all this new hiring process stuff came about. I told my recruiter initially I wanted to do ATC and he said that was perfectly fine however I did not qualify for ATC after taking the ASVAB (Air Force anyway I qualified for the Army and Marines) A 6 Yr. enlistment is a long time and I'm set on another job just to get the Vet Pref with ATC still being the end goal, thats If I do decide to continue with the military. I haven't sworn in or am committed, I'm waiting on the results of this PUBNAT bid we all applied for.

My advice would be if you don't get ATC, just pick a job that transfers into civilian life after you're out and that relatively interests you as well. Loadmaster, Special missions aviation, firefighter, sensor operator are all the careers that caught my attention. That way you have a Plan B in case you don't ever get selected plus you can go to school as well for a BS in something. That's my plan at least haha but to each his own.

ZEBRA

Sep 24, 2013
So you'd rather be a firefighter in the Air Force than a controller in the Marine Corps. You obviously are very passionate about this job.

AntAcree

Jan 14, 2012
Georgia
I went to college for two years. Joined the military at 21 and did 6 years. Got the military to pay off my students loans. Finished my associates and bachelors degree while I was in for free. Got 4 CTO's, 1 RAPCON, and an CTO examiner cert. Shot a couple of cool weapons while I was in, and flew a UAV in Afghanland. Still have my GI bill to pay for my Masters. And got my pre TOL paperwork on the 1st. The military is the best route to do ATC. Not to mention disability. I second WG that it was the best decision I ever made.

Aug 15, 2011
My point was getting a shorter 4 year commitment..... just to leave myself with some room for when I get out. Take it easy simple jack

angelorozco101

Oct 27, 2011
🇺🇸
I wouldn't settle for anything other than ATC. I just want to get VRA status and make myself more competitive for something I would love doing for a living.

AntAcree

Jan 14, 2012
Georgia
I wouldn't settle for anything other than ATC. I just want to get VRA status and make myself more competitive for something I would love doing for a living.
Well do it. The only way to get VRA is through the military. On top of that, you get to buy back your military time. Again I state, "The best decision I ever made".

Aug 15, 2011
So much for thick skinned. Don't get mad at me. I'm not the one who graded your ASVAB...

hahaha all I said was take it easy... Did I imply in any part of what I said earlier that I was upset I didn't qualify for ATC in the AF? Are you butthurt that i'm not considering the Marine Corps?