After Not Being Selected.

eric86

Sep 4, 2008
BX
OS is probably top 5 shitty jobs in the navy. they have no specialty, they literally do a little bit of everything in the navy. Have you been on a ship? oh and the worst ones are the AIC guys who think they're better controllers than ACs.

kenie311

Newcomer
Dec 30, 2008
Yes I have been on a ship thank you very much. I love my job. Thanks for your lovely input. I can think of a ton of rates that are less enjoyable...AD, AG, AZ, BM, CS, LN, MN, LS, RP, PS, YN, GS, HT, IC, MM, MR...etc. At least we always know where the ship is and never have to worry about working in a hot workspace.

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
I joined the Navy in 2009. I spent 4 days in Charlotte NC MEPS fighting for AC. I got the same run around as everyone else "sign up for anything and we can fix it later" but def don't trust them unless it's on paper. No one can emphasise that enough. As far as my 5 year enlistment, I have enjoyed most of it. I made E5 in about 3 years which is common for our rate and over all well above average for the average advancement in other rates. I am currently stationed in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. It's interesting. It makes for my second CTO (if you can call it that) but I do have more legitimate experience with Local and RFC from NAS Kingsville. If you do a 5 and out in the Navy you can expect to either extend at your last command or go to DG because it's a one year unaccompanied billet. Possible Souda Bay, Greece for the same reason. I don't regret my decision at all even though I'm 29 and the BioQ is chafing my balls off. I haven't given up yet but I kind of came to terms with the idea of looking into CSX or BNSF to do railroad dispatch. The pay is good and they favor military ATC for the positions. Also I hear a CTO can go a long way applying for any DOT jobs. Good luck to you no matter what you decide. Hope that helped a little.
True stuff. I joined the Navy in 2009 also. I joined the Delayed Entry Program in January of 2009 and finally shipped off to bootcamp in late October. Went to NAS Meridian for my first station, the sister station of NAS Kingsville, since we also deal with T45's. I was able to submit my 1306 and extend my PRD to match my EAOS, doing a 4 1/2 year tour at Meridian. Have 2 CTO's now, from McCain Field and outlying field Joe Williams.

5three

Newcomer
Dec 6, 2013
WA
I'm heading down on Tuesday to take the ASVAB and physical. I talked to my AF recruiter about getting ATC but he said he isn't able to guarantee a slot for me so I'm going to just take my chances. The recruiter definitely knows I have a passion for ATC and said he will do the best he can to get that job for me. Can anyone who enlisted recently give me input on the chances of people getting their first choice for jobs?

DontCallMeShirley

Senior Analyst
Mar 31, 2012
Pushing Tin SUCKS
I am NOT military, but have contacted recruiters on and off since high school. However, I do know that in recruiter speak "I'll do the best I can to help" translates to "I'll do the bare minimum because really I just need to get you to sign the paper".

If you really are dead set on ATC, enlisting without a guarantee seems like too much of a risk, especially if you have any chance whatsoever of aging out within a few years of separation. However, if you are willing to accept that you may end up serving in a specialty you either did not expect or did not want, than the AF is a perfectly fine choice.

LimaAlpha

May 13, 2010
I'm heading down on Tuesday to take the ASVAB and physical. I talked to my AF recruiter about getting ATC but he said he isn't able to guarantee a slot for me so I'm going to just take my chances. The recruiter definitely knows I have a passion for ATC and said he will do the best he can to get that job for me. Can anyone who enlisted recently give me input on the chances of people getting their first choice for jobs?
If you are dead set on being a controller, you are a fool if you go without having ATC in your contract. I can almost guarantee you will end up as a cook or a cop.

ar314

Newcomer
Jan 25, 2012
Oklahoma
I know when I joined the Air Force I filled out a job preference list when I went to MEPS and about 2 months later my recruiter called up with my job contract. I never even told my recruiter what job I wanted, only the people at MEPS. I signed my contract for ATC and shipped out two months later. So, for me, it was a four month process, I got ATC and I didn't get any crap from my recruiter.

We get 3-levels all the time that didn't even have ATC as their first choice. I'd say if you list it number one and have the score, you probably have a better shot then these kids that aren't interested in the career field. If your recruiter comes back with a contract for a job that you don't want, you don't have to sign it. Good luck to you all!