Air National Guard ?

kyledouglas84

Newcomer
May 3, 2009
Hi, i am considering joining the Air National Guard as an air traffic controller and then trying to become a civillian atc when my training is over. Anyone done this before? Just wondering if i will be able to do this and how i will apply to the FAA if there is not an OTS enrollment open ?

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Guess that would be my department. I'm in the Missouri ANG as ATC and i work for the FAA at ZID, Indy Center. Yes, a lot of people have gone through the ANG ATC then got picked up FAA after training, there are 6 of us that were in training together and now we all work for the FAA. Once you finish your "seasoning" as we call it (your time at your facility where you get your facility rating), then you have to a do a deployment. You can do as little as 3 months. Once you do that deployment, you qualify for VRA hiring, which is year round.

A few guys snuck through that and got hired as VRA right after their training was over with, without a deployment, but the FAA caught on to it finally, so now you have to take a deployment. They aren't bad though. It's good money and good experience. I'm in Iraq right now. I volunteered for a 6 month deployment for some extra cash (Over here, I make about 2 1/2 times what the FAA starting pay is) since my training at ZID is frozen until at least october.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Badgerlandpilot

Newcomer
Apr 21, 2009
I'm thinking about the same route. Are you doing ATC in Iraq or do they have you doing other stuff during your deployment???

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
ATC. Wouldn't do any other job over here. 12 hour shifts blow. Lol. I'll take my 8 hour rotating shifts anyday

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
If anyone tries to give you another job in Iraq other than ATC... run.
A buddy of mine who was Base Ops (Airfield Management) went over when I did (as ATC).... he went as 1/2 ass cop (dont remember their real name). Anyway his work shift was 12hr days (not including arming up/de-arming... ie 14hr days) and he did like 13 on 1 off, 14 on, 2 off.

No freaking thank you.

Meanwhile I was in my AC'd box (was actually really cold) doing enroute traffic. Good times.

kyledouglas84

Newcomer
May 3, 2009
Did it take you guys long to get a deployment? Or could you pretty much go as soon as you were done with the seasoning days ?

Kabar

Rookie
Apr 8, 2009
SUX
I'm in Iraq right now. I volunteered for a 6 month deployment for some extra cash (Over here, I make about 2 1/2 times what the FAA starting pay is) since my training at ZID is frozen until at least october.

Are you tower or enroute? I worked in Kingpin last fall, those ATC guys in the next room sure could work some magic with the crap we threw at them. I remember leaving there wondering how in the heck we never killed anyone (UAV's don't count as kills:puff:). As you say the pay there is insanely good. I would recommend the deployment to anyone

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Hes Radar I believe, you cant do enroute anymore, its contracted out or with the Iraqi's... I THINK Ali Center was the last one (military), and thats long gone now.

You worked Kingpin! How did it feel to be hated by every controller in Iraq for the sh*t sandwich you fed us?

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I"m CERAP. Combine EnRoute Radar Approach Control. We own up to FL280.

It's not so much the shit sandwich they fed me (yes, I spelled out shit because there isn't much of a filter on this site lol), it's the fact they don't quite understand that my radar SUCKS, and I lose targets a lot. So they don't bother telling me when a/c are transitting or higher/lower than what they told me 20 minutes earlier...and I get an RA lol.

LTKL

Newcomer
Jun 3, 2009
NC
The Guard is a great way to go. I've been in for 8 years now and I work at PCT. You'll start off with higher pay (even though it's still not high... yet) and have less training at OKC. Being in the military has tons of benefits. You should be able to get a deployment pretty soon after being rated, but there's not usually a guarantee. If you volunteer, you can probably find a spot without waiting too long (a couple months). There are lots of posts on here with tons of info on this. Good luck!

Michalak87

Jan 30, 2009
MI
Guess that would be my department. I'm in the Missouri ANG as ATC and i work for the FAA at ZID, Indy Center. Yes, a lot of people have gone through the ANG ATC then got picked up FAA after training, there are 6 of us that were in training together and now we all work for the FAA. Once you finish your "seasoning" as we call it (your time at your facility where you get your facility rating), then you have to a do a deployment. You can do as little as 3 months. Once you do that deployment, you qualify for VRA hiring, which is year round.

A few guys snuck through that and got hired as VRA right after their training was over with, without a deployment, but the FAA caught on to it finally, so now you have to take a deployment. They aren't bad though. It's good money and good experience. I'm in Iraq right now. I volunteered for a 6 month deployment for some extra cash (Over here, I make about 2 1/2 times what the FAA starting pay is) since my training at ZID is frozen until at least october.

By picked up after training, do you mean that after you complete your ATC training and get certified as a controller, you can then switch over to the FAA? I was under the impression that you sign for 6 years. Any informatio would be great!

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
He STILL is in the guard bro. He STILL needs to do his weekend/2week for the remainder of his time, regardless of him being hired by the FAA.

Its the same if you worked at jiffy lube and were in the guard. ATC on the weekend, oil change mon-fri.

I think you are confusing ACTIVE DUTY, and Reserve/Guard. Only in Active Duty are you "stuck" with the military for 6 years... The Reserve/Guard expects you to have another job!

Davidian

Mar 31, 2010
Don't you wanna know?
Also another question. I apologize in advance if this is already answered. ANG vs AF reserves? I ultimately would like to end up in the FAA. If I sign up for ANG am I committed for years of full time? I read a post similar to that question earlier to this post, but I still don't understand the comparison of time/duties/commitments of either service.

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
I'm in the guard. I got rated at Johnstown RAPCON. I just applied for the most recent bid for the FAA. I got reffered.

Now to answer your question, I signed up for 6 years. I enlisted August 2010 and I just finished my Rapcon training 2 months ago. I am still obligated for four more years, but these next four years all I'm requires to work is 1 weekend a mont, and 1 week in the summer. Some people have trouble being qualified with the guard more or less because of the 52 weeks. I had mine because of how long my training was along with having a DD214 saying I was separated from active duty within te last three years.

If you don't mind me asking; what base are you looking to sign up for?

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Also another question. I apologize in advance if this is already answered. ANG vs AF reserves? I ultimately would like to end up in the FAA. If I sign up for ANG am I committed for years of full time? I read a post similar to that question earlier to this post, but I still don't understand the comparison of time/duties/commitments of either service.

Good luck finding ANG slots. It's either a long wait or taking a supplemental atc job. Most of the ANG bases are full w people on a waiting list. Start picking up the phone and calling around now

vintage

Newcomer
Nov 28, 2012
I'm in the guard. I got rated at Johnstown RAPCON. I just applied for the most recent bid for the FAA. I got reffered.

Now to answer your question, I signed up for 6 years. I enlisted August 2010 and I just finished my Rapcon training 2 months ago. I am still obligated for four more years, but these next four years all I'm requires to work is 1 weekend a mont, and 1 week in the summer. Some people have trouble being qualified with the guard more or less because of the 52 weeks. I had mine because of how long my training was along with having a DD214 saying I was separated from active duty within te last three years.

If you don't mind me asking; what base are you looking to sign up for?
Sorry to hi-jak the thread, but the closes base to me is OR, got any intel on that? Also what base would you recommend with the best experience, slots open and all that?

vintage

Newcomer
Nov 28, 2012
Anybody know whether or not Palace Chase is available for ATC?
Dont think so I just made a thread today, what I found out is the ATC is one of the career fields that dont usually accept Palace Chase. They want to keep you.

GraniteState

Newcomer
Dec 2, 2011
Looking for some advice, like many of you, pulling my hair out over things I can't control.
Background
Graduated CTI May 2010, took Atsat January 2009 under a Pubnat announcement that I thought would jumpstart the process. Missed the March panel because my AT sat expired and I couldn't retake it til May 2012. WQ both times. I didn't start earnestly networking til this past summer after seeing the writing on the wall (serious fault of no one but me). I thought things we're moving in my direction after networking with higher ups, until I realized I wouldn't be considered for the fall panel because I wasn't included in the March referral list. I still have these people doing there best to find a place for me, but from what I'm hearing networking is going to be less of a factor in upcoming panes.
Spoke to a recruiter today about an ATC slot for ANG. He isn't sure when I would be sent for Basic and Individual training and said that full time slots where I'm joining are VERY hard to come by. Is ANG worth it for my situation? When looking at the benefits, it does not seem to put me in any better position for an FAA bid if I don't get 52 weeks of experience. Is there any chance I am jeopardizing upcoming CTI bids by signing on the dotted line for ANG with no idea when I would start training?
Thanks guys