Albuquerque Center - ZAB

D2daE

Newcomer
Feb 12, 2014
Umm hello.....starting to think this center doesn't even exist or is the best kept secret of the FAA that no one wants to talk about it. If there is anyone out there; just curious about good areas to live with good schools for the kids and a hospital for the wife to work at. And also; is the info on page one about the training still accurate??

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
^ Dude... calm down. The world ain't going to end if your questions aren't answered in 24 hours.

Generally, the farther north and east you live from downtown, the better the area if you're trying to minimize commute. Southwest isn't too bad. Southeast is not a good place to be. (North)West side is nice but longer commute. Rio Rancho same way.

APS isn't a great district in a broad sense but certain schools within are better than others, Rio Rancho schools better.

Multiple hospitals (like any town of 500,000-ish) Most need staffing badly.

Accurate info? Basically yes, but no functional training.

D2daE

Newcomer
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by no functional training? Does that mean that I should be prepared to pretty much train myself even though I'm assigned a trainer??

Supra

Rookie
Feb 2, 2014
San Antonio, TX
d2dae pm me your email and I'll forward you all the info I've gathered so far. My old trainer in the Air Force grew up there, I have a car buddy that grew up/still living there (gave tons of good info on the city living/eating/things to do/good schools for the kids/where to go where not to go etc etc), and I'm in contact with a controller there (really good insight to life at ZAB).

This goes for anyone else interested in ZAB and/or Albuquerque living. Just shoot me a pm with your email, I'd rather not post it publicly.

D2daE

Newcomer
Feb 12, 2014
d2dae pm me your email and I'll forward you all the info I've gathered so far. My old trainer in the Air Force grew up there, I have a car buddy that grew up/still living there (gave tons of good info on the city living/eating/things to do/good schools for the kids/where to go where not to go etc etc), and I'm in contact with a controller there (really good insight to life at ZAB).

This goes for anyone else interested in ZAB and/or Albuquerque living. Just shoot me a pm with your email, I'd rather not post it publicly.
Just pm'd you.

BeaconSlash

Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2011
Functional training was the nickname given to combined D/R School that occurred during the white book years as referenced in the mega comment on the first page. It doesn't happen here anymore.

ZEBRA

Sep 24, 2013
Anyone know how much CPC salary is in ZAB?
Upon completion of all training and becoming a fully certified controller, you will be paid:
Minimum Maximum
$108,162 CPC $146,019

Sorry for the word format. Copied and pasted.

boston757

Jan 14, 2009
Currently in training at ZAB. Lived here for just over a year. If anyone has anymore questions, feel free to PM me!

kegger

Newcomer
Apr 20, 2014
when do you get the facility orientation guide/ welcome package? how much time did you get to report after school?

kenyon803

Jun 25, 2009
afgan
Hey everyone, im scheduled for a class date of 5 jan. Im vra hire from jan 2013. Im tol for zab. I worked under secter 23 when i worked at white sands missle range. Im just trying to get some updated info on the center. I plan to come tour the facility one weekend i get off at okc. I know couple controllers already at zab and they have nothing but good things to say.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
I just talked with a manager out there and he said he will get me picked up. What's it like living out there?