Altitude Restricted Low Approach

Wponcho

Feb 3, 2009
Orlando
Some questions about other facilities. At what altitude do you clear a restricted low approach at and what is your field elevation?

This is found in the .65 3-10-10

Think about what the book says and what is the real altitude its being conducted at?

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
It says in black and white ... A low approach with an altitude restriction of NOT LESS THAN 500 feet above the airport.

So in the case of USMC I would say the one with field elevation of 7 feet (RJOI) and your doing 500 I would question that as its only 493ft.

I know its splitting hairs , but it doesn't say anywhere in this chapter that you round your field elevation THEN do the 500.

Wponcho

Feb 3, 2009
Orlando
Just wondering, it seems as though it's different everywhere you go and each person you ask. Since it says "500 above the airport," that means to me: "cleared low approach at or above 500." Some would say that every clearance no matter what is in MSL, meaning that a field elevation of 7' would mean 550 or 600. Just a thought, thanks for the replies. In the AF, I would and still say the above.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Wponcho:215908 said:
Just wondering, it seems as though it's different everywhere you go and each person you ask. Since it says "500 above the airport," that means to me: "cleared low approach at or above 500." Some would say that every clearance no matter what is in MSL, meaning that a field elevation of 7' would mean 550 or 600. Just a thought, thanks for the replies. In the AF, I would and still say the above.
Your right every clearance is in MSL so if the field elevation is 7 feet I would say "cleared low approach at or above 550ft" or like atcguru said "cleared low aporoach at or above 500ft AGL". Both are correcy IMO.

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
At Cairns AAF, Fort Rucker, AL we clear them for Low Approach at or above 800 and issue traffic... Field elevation 301'

initialize

Newcomer
Mar 26, 2011
Germany
Hey guys, quick question here. The tower I work at is in shenanigans because I cleared an aircraft for a restricted low 500' above another aircraft taxiing down the runway who WAS NOT a departure aircraft or positioning in hold.

Me and other controllers have done this multiple times before, but for some reason some people are in cahoots over this. I'm right, right? I just want to make sure in case this shit hits the fan and I have to prove them wrong

j_time41

Senior Analyst
Nov 17, 2008
Lakeville, MN
Hey guys, quick question here. The tower I work at is in shenanigans because I cleared an aircraft for a restricted low 500' above another aircraft taxiing down the runway who WAS NOT a departure aircraft or positioning in hold.

Me and other controllers have done this multiple times before, but for some reason some people are in cahoots over this. I'm right, right? I just want to make sure in case this shit hits the fan and I have to prove them wrong
He could be 5 feet above him. As long as you have visual....your good

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Lol in the visual part...

But yes your safe, if he was back taxi, or just plane taxi. Yes you can do a restricted. You already said when you CANT do it. I would side with you.

Last edited: