Am I employable?

whegner

Aug 24, 2009
OK, here's my situation:

I'm 42, former Marine Corps controller with 9 + yrs exp & 5 CTO's (Iwakuni, Japan, El Toro, Camp Pendleton, Twentynine Palms, New River, Yuma). I've been out of the field since 1994, got caught in the military draw down and FAA hiring freeze in the early 90's and had to get on with my life. I did not go the contract tower route back then because frankly everything I heard was negative and most DoD jobs appeared to go primarily to Approach Controllers first. It appears things have changed and I am itching to get back into the job. I've contacted Midwest, and am about to contact Serco and RVA. I guess the question is that based on my age and how long I've been out of the job would I have a legitimate chance of being considered? I am willing to relocate (Preferably warm climate...I'm in Chicago) and have no problem contacting facility managers to trump my own horn but I don't want to be chasing rabbits if I have no shot.

Also, what is the normal "Contact to hire" time frame and if hired, what is the typical facility training/checkout period?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
As long as you have held a CTO and you can maintain a class II physical you are good to go. Serco has job openings like crazy right now. With your time away from the job you may not be on the top of their list but you are definitely on it. Too many controllers leaving for the FAA right now for them to say no for too long. I work with a guy who was away from ATC for about 11 years and got hired with SERCO. They are hurting too bad and traffic is pretty slow everywhere for GA, compared to how it used to be.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I can tell you the openings, point of contact and a number to get started with Serco, others I dont know. All FCT contractors are hurting for controllers so you have a good chance in my opinion.

Time to hire... not too long. If they like you they will send you a hiring packet to complete. It will have security/background check and you will need to "pee in a cup" somewhere local. I'd say you can start about 2 weeks from receiving it at best. Provided everyone completes things in a timely manner. Id guess closer to a month to be safe tho.

Check out time depends on you. Most FCTs are generally slow so I'd say 2 months should be the norm. 1 month for really slow places. Busier places(mostly AZ/FL) may take you 3-4 months.

compumise

Rookie
Jun 18, 2009
Eagle, CO
I am 38 and I got on with Serco after a 15 year gap. Of course I had to be flexible and willing to go anywhere to prove myself. I'm having a blast being back into ATC. The people on this forum were a big help, I could not have done it without them.

Hold_West

Rookie
Mar 24, 2009
I am 52, though I retired from the FAA in 3/08, my last tower experience was in 1996. They hired me without hesitation.

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
if ur retired military ur still eligible for the FAA under the Phoenix 20 program, i think they call it RMC now. if u didn't retire from the military and am over 31 then your still eligible for a contract tower position.

eligible doesn't mean qualified. 15 years is a lot of time to be out of the game. that's a lot of time not to be slanging planes.

good luck with your pursuit and i hope the best for u.

whegner

Aug 24, 2009
Unfortunately, I'm not retired so I have to go the contract route.

As far as talking to planes go, I'm not too worried about it. I talk to them all the time...they just don't answer me the way they used to. :confused::confused:

Actually, my biggest fear if I get back into the biz is if the facility has us work clearance delivery. I'd rather work five hours of local with a pencil in my eye than an hour of CD! :)