ANG Airman VRA Question

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
I guess this doesnt really matter but i figured i would get your guy's personal opinion on it.

Im in the Air National Guard and just recieved my RAPC at Johnstown RAPCON. To be eligible for the VRA bid it says you need 52 consecutive weeks, which in my opinion i have, I've had my Pink card since 21 August 2011, does that classify as certified live air traffic experience?

And the other part is that since i've been on active duty orders for the past 2 years I recieved a DD214 which says i was honorably seperated from active duty. Following the requirements that say you must ahve been sperated within 3 years from active duty, do you believe that i qualify?

I think i worded this terrible but i figured i would pick anyones brains and see what they think, and possibly what would be the best route for me to go.

Thank You all,
NF

EchieCharlo

Newcomer
Jan 23, 2012
CA
I guess this doesnt really matter but i figured i would get your guy's personal opinion on it.

Im in the Air National Guard and just recieved my RAPC at Johnstown RAPCON. To be eligible for the VRA bid it says you need 52 consecutive weeks, which in my opinion i have, I've had my Pink card since 21 August 2011, does that classify as certified live air traffic experience?

And the other part is that since i've been on active duty orders for the past 2 years I recieved a DD214 which says i was honorably seperated from active duty. Following the requirements that say you must ahve been sperated within 3 years from active duty, do you believe that i qualify?

I think i worded this terrible but i figured i would pick anyones brains and see what they think, and possibly what would be the best route for me to go.

Thank You all,
NF
Holy shit it's Fingers! Me and my bud left a condom on your bed and a note saying that your new roommate went through your shit and thought that you "were a pretty cool dude and couldn't wait to meet later on that night" on your first day at Keesler during our last week there...HAHA that was pretty hilarious...but anyway from what I understand by speaking to an HR rep in OKC the 52 weeks pretty much start during your first week in assist when you start 'working' live traffic.

smitty16s

Trusted Member
Jan 23, 2009
Holy shit it's Fingers! Me and my bud left a condom on your bed and a note saying that your new roommate went through your shit and thought that you "were a pretty cool dude and couldn't wait to meet later on that night" on your first day at Keesler during our last week there...HAHA that was pretty hilarious...but anyway from what I understand by speaking to an HR rep in OKC the 52 weeks pretty much start during your first week in assist when you start 'working' live traffic.
Real Classy

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA

It's a small world!!!!! Glad i could give you guys some humor, hope you all are doing well

Anyone who was wondering, just got word back that I qualify and was referred to VA. Thanks for all your responses

kingpin

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2012
Haha, it's good old 'my dad's a light bird' fingers! Man you loved to tell people that. Regular class reunion in here. Glad to see you made out after washing out of my class.

Anyway, in answer to your question, the date on the pink card doesn't mean jack shit. When i turned in my application for the fall hiring, i put my assist training start date as the start of my 'actively controlling live traffic'. Everyone in my facility told me it wouldn't work, and not to even bother. Got my email from the faa yesterday offering me an interview.

Make sure your resume is shit hot, read the ENTIRE announcement, comply fully with all instructions. and remember you can't get a job you don't apply for.

Is it true y'all are getting shut down soon?

usafhawk

Jul 26, 2012
This post just tells me I should of done the ANG route instead of AD but I'm finally working my way out and have an interview for VRA so whateve I guess.

kingpin

Newcomer
Nov 30, 2012
This post just tells me I should of done the ANG route instead of AD but I'm finally working my way out and have an interview for VRA so whateve I guess.
No, you did it right. There are people here who've had their ratings for 2-3 years who have never gotten an interview, never even gotten referred. The Guard rates you and puts you on the street. I got lucky and got hired full time.

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
Haha, it's good old 'my dad's a light bird' fingers! Man you loved to tell people that. Regular class reunion in here. Glad to see you made out after washing out of my class.

Anyway, in answer to your question, the date on the pink card doesn't mean jack shit. When i turned in my application for the fall hiring, i put my assist training start date as the start of my 'actively controlling live traffic'. Everyone in my facility told me it wouldn't work, and not to even bother. Got my email from the faa yesterday offering me an interview.

Make sure your resume is shit hot, read the ENTIRE announcement, comply fully with all instructions. and remember you can't get a job you don't apply for.

Is it true y'all are getting shut down soon?
Negative we're not getting shutdown, that all seemed to have gotten shot down.

Congrats on your interview, what state?

Special_K

Jun 16, 2008
No, you did it right. There are people here who've had their ratings for 2-3 years who have never gotten an interview, never even gotten referred. The Guard rates you and puts you on the street. I got lucky and got hired full time.
With active duty there really isn't much room for interpretation, so for an active duty USAF controller you know you will almost certainly qualify for VRA. Guard is a completely different animal, and it puts you at the mercy of however the FAA is choosing to interpret the VRA announcement at the time. It seems a year or so ago the interpretation was 52 consecutive weeks of full time facility rated experience. Not many traditional (part-time) Guardsmen would qualify under such an interpretation. From reading this thread it appears that the FAA now considers ATC facility training time as being eligible to meet the experience requirements. This is good but it still may lead to a faulty hiring process. Consider the following:

Airman A, B, and C are entered into training at the same facility on exactly the same day.

Airman A learns fast and is able to fully certify in about six months. After getting facility rated he is taken off orders and his DD214 shows 1C131 Air Traffic Control Apprentice - 6 months. Airman A comes in one weekend a month and maintains currency

Airman B is average and takes 9 months to get facility rated. She is also taken off of active duty and her DD214 shows 1C131 Air Traffic Control Apprentice - 9 months. Airman B comes in one weekend a month and maintains currency.

Airman C struggles and goes through Chief Controller and Guard Bureau extensions. He perseveres, sees the picture, and gets rated in 12 months. He is then taken off of active duty and his DD214 shows 1C131 Air Traffic Control Apprentice - 12 months. Airman C comes in one weekend a month a maintains currency.

A few months later all three Airmen apply to the same VRA announcement. All three submit their DD214s along with their applications. ACD sees that Airmen A only has 6 months experience so marks him as ineligible. ACD sees that Airmen B only has 9 months of experience so marks her as ineligible. ACD sees that Airman C has 12 months of experience so refers him to the hiring panels. Anyone not see the issue?

Now throw in further complications like controllers being withdrawn from the career field for failure to obtain a rating at their second or third facility vs. first; many active duty officers that only get rated in some positions and work traffic less than most traditional Guardsmen; different uses of air traffic controllers between the services; the different statuses of Guardsmen--I'm a civilian today, owned by the governor and the state tomorrow, and owned by the president and the federal government the day after tomorrow.

Last edited:

lookitsroadie

Trusted Member
May 30, 2012
www.last.fm
I thought VRA status dealt with receiving a campaign medal, not the amount of time one has been on position within a year. Perhaps I am misreading this?

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
Read again: it states if separated within 3 years from active duty as shown on a dd214

Must have 52 weeks also

And some other little things, but that beig said the campaign medal is just another way to be qualified as a VRA

purpletw

Trusted Member
Dec 14, 2010
I thought VRA status dealt with receiving a campaign medal, not the amount of time one has been on position within a year. Perhaps I am misreading this?
VRA and Vet Pref are different. The campaign would be the Veteran Preference.

lookitsroadie

Trusted Member
May 30, 2012
www.last.fm
So, having received the GWOTEM during my deployment and if I leave my next duty station with a CTO, I'd be eligible to apply under the VRA and CTO announcements, correct? What role would Vet Pref. play in all of this?

lookitsroadie

Trusted Member
May 30, 2012
www.last.fm
Well damn. How does the FAA go about verifying that 52 consecutive weeks of training have been met by an individual, in order for them to apply for the VRA panels?

nfingers

Trusted Contributor
Sep 8, 2012
Pittsburgh PA
52 weeks goes by controlling live traffic...... Idk how that classifys as you, or how they're gonna prove you were going to prove that, but the date on the pink card is my guess

OrTgAsM

Feb 6, 2009
Omaha
I would tell every ANG or AD controller looking to get out into the FAA to apply on every application that applies to military service! Make the FAA find you to be ineligible. Don't let someone that doesn't know what they are talking about tell you that you aren't qualified.

Good friend from AD and my present ANG unit is currently working within the confines of the FAA hired under the REINDOD application having never worked for the DoD a day in his life. Just saying, any controller knows that anything in this career field is waiverable and anything can be approved with a simple APREQ. The key here is to just get in.

lookitsroadie

Trusted Member
May 30, 2012
www.last.fm
I'm not sure what exactly REINDOD is or APREQ for that matter, but I do know that once I'm finished with this deployment (and after the holidays are over with), I'll be submitting applications via USAJOBS.gov with every panel I think applies to me. Guess it doesn't hurt to try ahead of time.