ANG to Active Duty

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Hey guys/gals, was just curious if anyone had any experience with this.. I'm about to join the ang and was wondering how easy/difficult it is to switch to active duty if it turns out I like the life style and want to go active? Thanks for any and all help.

-AE

challenger

Rookie
Mar 19, 2010
Minnesota
To my knowledge prior enlisted is a very large gray area in the Air Force right now because of force shaping efforts. If you are not already in and want active duty, I would just do that way personally.

Special_K

Jun 16, 2008
Agree with going AD first if that is the interest. Currently it isn't the easiest to transfer from a reserve component to active component in any branch, and I believe the USAF is one of the hardest. You also might be allowed in but told you need to select from a career field more undermanned than ATC--Tactical Air Control Party, Combat Control, Pararescue and Special Operations Weather Teams come to mind. On the plus side, you could always apply for an AGR (full-time) position at your new guard unit; that would be just like AD.

In the future it might be easy to transition from Guard to AD--there have certainly been times like that--but for now I wouldn't count on it.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for all the information fella's. Is it very common for there to be AGR ATC spots? Does it just depend on how in need the unit is? The recruiter I'm talking to doesn't know much about the subject b/c my state doesn't recruit for ATC, so she's getting me contact info for an ATC shop chief? I'm not sure what that is, but hopefully they'll beable to help me out some more.

challenger

Rookie
Mar 19, 2010
Minnesota
Thanks for all the information fella's. Is it very common for there to be AGR ATC spots? Does it just depend on how in need the unit is? The recruiter I'm talking to doesn't know much about the subject b/c my state doesn't recruit for ATC, so she's getting me contact info for an ATC shop chief? I'm not sure what that is, but hopefully they'll beable to help me out some more.
I am unsure about AGR, but what state do you live in? Might be worthwhile to call the closest ANG ATC base and cut out the middle man.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
I live in AR. Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that and probably will if she continues to take forever and a day to respond to my inquiries.