Any Freight Pilots?

randt

Jan 12, 2009
Are there really no freight pilots here? Or none that will own up to it? (Or did everyone get laid off?) I dispatch in the freight industry, so figured I could post here and try to get it rolling. Freight DAWGS....show yourself!

randt

Jan 12, 2009
Re: Really?

I don't want to reveal my "true identity" and put my company out there for all to see. BUT, I have done cargo charters for the past 10 years. My first company was Kitty Hawk. I've also worked in TOL, YIP, ADS, and currently another small N Texas airport. We have medium jets and flying Winnebagos. I LOVE my job and what we do, but our section of the industry is massively in the toilet and if I don't get out, it'll be too late.

kiloalpha

Newcomer
Sep 9, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Re: Really?

Toilet, yes. That's why I try, unsuccessfully, to get into ATC. So now I've got to start looking at other options. Hopefully a nice corprate job or fractional ownership job comes along.

Windsor

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2009
mke/msp
I used to haul UPS freight outta MKE, then flew beat up old falcons and lears outta YIP, ADS and ELP. Loved flying freight, hated the companies. Boxes dont b!tch ;)

randt

Jan 12, 2009
Windsor, either you're one of my old pilots, or you worked for our competitor.

randt

Jan 12, 2009
Ahhhhh...my evil competitor ;) I was closer to Millionaire in ADS. Where I am now is full of guys from where you were. At least you aren't still doing it in your 40s like these guys. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Good luck, but at least it sounds like you have a much better job now!

Windsor

Newcomer
Feb 4, 2009
mke/msp
Its all good. I had a hella good time with one of your crews down in boyz town in LRD one time. On of the most fun nights I've had ever. Granted I did not partake in the horizontal activities (was wiskey'd out) but I do remember the donkey show. Ahh the memories of freight doggin....... I bounced outta AJI as soon as I could. My current company was advertising "street Captains" so I took the chance. Coming back ot bite me though, I'm being downgraded. Hence the possible venture into ATC.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
That's cool. I worked for Kitty Hawk when they owned Kalitta.
Oh that was a disaster.
Back then I worked at jepp and the kitty hawk dispatchers used to call every night because they couldn't figure out how to use their dispatch software.

randt

Jan 12, 2009
That's pretty sad. Its pretty user friendly. We use Jepp FliteStar, and I swear, anything with at least 1 bendable finger and half a brain could use it.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
That's pretty sad. Its pretty user friendly. We use Jepp FliteStar, and I swear, anything with at least 1 bendable finger and half a brain could use it.
kittyhawk IIRC was running opscontrol which is/was sort of like an onsite server to run their plans, it's marketed to 121 ops.
jetplanner would be better for what you're doing, it does the calculations on jepps server, similar to opscontrol just on the interweb.

I had another customer called "magic jet" in ireland that called nightly before they went out of business, I believe on one of their maiden flights they had screwed with the tankering settings and nearly ran out of fuel but it's been 5+ years..

Oct 6, 2016
Bay Area
Showin' myself for a job in cargo... so I guess freight aircrew to freight piloting.
If there is any openings with jobs in this sector please don't hesitate to reply won't think anything of it. Comments wanted.