Anyone enrolled at MCTC right now?

aviatoral04

Newcomer
Nov 9, 2009
Eden Prairie, MN
I am going to get the prereqs done this upcoming semester, just moved up here. Hopefuly the classes will not be full so that I can get in...they said it typically does not fill all the way.

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
Really? they said that they don't fill up? I find that interesting. I graduated from there and the past 3 years have been full.

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
So what was experience like Battani? Did you like the faculty/student body/environment, etc? I'm taking the online classes right now.
It's a great school, the instructors that you deal with are great. I think they said between all the staff there is over 200yrs of ATC experience. so they know what they're doing and will push you every day. There are some typos and what not in the quizes, but they are minor and you will understand why once you get to the residency part. you go at breakneck speed the whole time. actually, the online part is boring, but the residency part is great. you won’t be disappointed in going there. the lab is awesome, you won’t want to leave.

Last edited:

aviatoral04

Newcomer
Nov 9, 2009
Eden Prairie, MN
That is positive to hear! I have heard many good things about this school and their instructors. bass geek, yeah it will be fun to hang out and go to this school, already memorizing the sector map! I start the online classes in the spring so I can finish up before in-residency starts in the summer. What is your story? Coming from previous aviation experience? college? high school?

ControlPhreeqBassGeek

Jun 29, 2009
Duluth, MN
www.myspace.com
That is positive to hear! I have heard many good things about this school and their instructors. bass geek, yeah it will be fun to hang out and go to this school, already memorizing the sector map! I start the online classes in the spring so I can finish up before in-residency starts in the summer. What is your story? Coming from previous aviation experience? college? high school?
Yeah, I don't have a very typical story...

I just got my BA in Music last spring from UMD. I currently work at a schmitt music store here in Duluth and teach private bass lessons to about ten students a week. I haven't had any aviation experience or interest until this last summer when I found out about ATC. I actually had planned on either playing tuba in an orchestra or teaching music for a living up until about a year ago.

Basically, I got my degree and was faced with the choice of either turning my musical pursuits into a business or just finding another job that I'd be qualified for by having a BA. Well, I've toured a bit with my band, been in a few recording studios, tried to market the hell out of the band and make the whole pursuit financially "viable" and got really burnt out (NPI...) I've also tried to supplement this by developing a music lessons business and I just hated the pressure and struggle of having to make money with music. It kind of spoils the fun for me. So I literally punched "what job can you get with a BA in music" into google and found out about ATC. Then I read about and it sounded really cool. I decided that I wanted a job that would use my full potential and talent for generally getting good at things (like playing instruments) and also be important and sort of prestigious. ATC sounded perfect!

I've been told I'm extremely laid back, I also love being challenged and like to multitask, and as you can tell I like to ramble on a lot and talk or doing anything that has to do with communication. So I think I can be a great ATCS :D

How about you man?

Battani22

Trusted Contributor
Apr 6, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, I've got mine, too. She added it as a module in one of the online classes, but there's no quiz for it. Just something to get a head start on the residence program I guess.
Really? with all 422 things on it? damn you guys are really getting a head start. we only had like 3-4 weeks. the map quiz weeds out a good amount of people. study it hard.

aviatoral04

Newcomer
Nov 9, 2009
Eden Prairie, MN
Cool Matt! Mine is Alex, Good to meet you and Great story! My brother graduated from UMD, I love it up there - went camping this past summer up there and try to get there as much as I can. Yeah, They have a few leftovers of the map there so the secretary gave me one, there is 422 items to memorize and its a bear! Some good study suggestions like laminating the blank sheet and making extra copies. Would be glad to send you a copy if you can't get a hold of one.

I already have had quite the aviation background! Worked as a corporate pilot in chicago, am a flight and ground instructor and aircraft mechanic, (now having atc, perhaps I can start up my own aviation department, HAHA). All my experience flying and doing maintenance has led up to a tizzy of dissapointment in being laid off, and working for an operation that turned out to be an illegal operation with VERY questionable aircraft and missing logbooks (so, I got out of there before something major happened or an investigation). You know the pilot/mechanic job market out there is NOT bright and cheesy. I got somewhat tired of flying, and I can't really afford to hit the "reset" button yet again, so here I am in eden prairie, here I am to hopefully use words like job security, pay, benefits, and growth! haha - My grand parents were both ATC back in the day, so I enjoyed asking them questions A LOT. You are right! I will enjoy the same aspects of ATC as well.

Thats bout it!

aviatoral04

Newcomer
Nov 9, 2009
Eden Prairie, MN
Hey Matt, I also wanted to chuck it your way - I have an open room in my apartment if you were looking for a place by chance, it is 5 minutes away from the eden prairie airport where classes are held... it would be 374 per month of you are interested.. very nice and clean and spacious apartment, you have your own b-room as well. let me know if you want to stop by and check it out if you don;t already have a place.

ControlPhreeqBassGeek

Jun 29, 2009
Duluth, MN
www.myspace.com
Hey Matt, I also wanted to chuck it your way - I have an open room in my apartment if you were looking for a place by chance, it is 5 minutes away from the eden prairie airport where classes are held... it would be 374 per month of you are interested.. very nice and clean and spacious apartment, you have your own b-room as well. let me know if you want to stop by and check it out if you don;t already have a place.
Wow, that rent sounds really nice but I'm in Duluth til AT LEAST this summer. My whole housing situation is kind of up in the air...I have a brother in Minneapolis that I could temporarily stay with if I have to. Right now I'm just trying to make connections and set the wheels in motion. Also, I have a girlfriend that will be coming with, and two dogs. I appreciate the offer, though.

WOW, you have some good experience in aviation! I've actually seen similar stories on the boards here a few times though. Lots of laid off pilots looking for more secure work it seems.

aviatoral04

Newcomer
Nov 9, 2009
Eden Prairie, MN
Haha, yeah, the security and being able to be at home is a big thing! You would think flying, and getting "away" never gets old, but it really does, and fast. This field of ATC is definitly an exciting one! Good to hear you got some living situations in line man! What kind of dogs you got?

ControlPhreeqBassGeek

Jun 29, 2009
Duluth, MN
www.myspace.com
Haha, yeah, the security and being able to be at home is a big thing! You would think flying, and getting "away" never gets old, but it really does, and fast. This field of ATC is definitly an exciting one! Good to hear you got some living situations in line man! What kind of dogs you got?
One is a "tuxedo" colored pitbull mix, the one on my avatar pic is a purebred rednose pit. Yeah, I'm not as worried about the living situations as the job situations...I don't want to have to take out a big loan for housing if I don't have to. Worst case scenario I'll end up working at one of the schmitt music stores down there.

ControlPhreeqBassGeek

Jun 29, 2009
Duluth, MN
www.myspace.com
Good plan! I am somewhat unclear on what the time frame is that we may get picked up after CTI school. I hear its pretty sparatic?
I know...I check this frickin forum obsessively and try to glean info from all of the rumors. It seems like some people get picked up RIGHT out of school, and others end up waiting for months on end. So I guess you're right. Eventual placement does seem pretty much guaranteed, though.