Anyone have info on KRSW (SW FL Reg'l)?

barnas

Newcomer
Jun 29, 2012
Southwest Florida International Airport is a public county-owned airport located in the South Fort Myers region of unincorporated Lee County, Florida, United States. The airport's service market is Southwest Florida, particularly Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Sanibel Island, Marco Island, Captiva Island, Bonita Springs and Naples.

The designator RSW was originally assigned for "Regional South-West" (for Southwest Florida Regional Airport). In 1993, the Lee County Port Authority renamed the airport as Southwest Florida International Airport.

In 2011, total passengers numbered 7,537,745. The airport is one of the busiest single runway use airports in the country. It is also a U.S. Customs and Border Protection port of entry. (Source: Wikipedia)

Attachments

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
Ah using wikipedia.. Sigh

Let me give ya the real facts...

RSW did 88k ops in 2011, they are ranked 189th out of 514 towers in the US.

As for one of the busiest single runways,
SAN (San Diego) in 2011 - 213k ops
GYR (Goodyear) in 2011 - 143k ops

If you break it into passengers then ya maybe the terminal/baggage claim is but a plane is a plane whether its passenger or cargo. Still counts as 1 operation.

Its a lvl 8 up/down part of the south florida district. ATM is JD, DM is JF.

Last edited:

tlonnie9

Newcomer
May 17, 2011
I know they took me to a 14 mile final in my 172 because they're not used to little guys tooling around. They were vectoring me like a heavy for no reason! Awesome area though... Ft. Myers beach is cool. Sanibel and Captiva are more isolated tropical paradises.

hickerbocker

Newcomer
Apr 26, 2011
ZDC
Does anyone know why this airport isn't on the facility page?

Ah using wikipedia.. Sigh

Let me give ya the real facts...

RSW did 88k ops in 2011, they are ranked 189th out of 514 towers in the US.

As for one of the busiest single runways,
SAN (San Diego) in 2011 - 213k ops
GYR (Goodyear) in 2011 - 143k ops

If you break it into passengers then ya maybe the terminal/baggage claim is but a plane is a plane whether its passenger or cargo. Still counts as 1 operation.

Its a lvl 8 up/down part of the south florida district. ATM is JD, DM is JF.

JoshATC

Epic Member
Jun 27, 2010
ZLA CPC
That's because terminal apps figures in upstairs and downstairs numbers. You have to look at ATADS for the correct numbers. If you don't believe me look at MIA on terminal apps says they did 1.3million and ATL did 930k. We both know MIA didn't beat ATL by almost 400k.

MIA did 400k tower ops. But cause they up/down they report 1.3mil and are a level 12.

lowapproach

Epic Member
Oct 29, 2010
WV
I know a center controller who invoked her Article 60 preference to get there, and she loves it. Radar approach airspace is small and fairly simple, although I think she was expected to draw an abbreviated version of all their approach plates from memory as part of training. Housing ranges from reasonable to outrageous, depending on what you want to pay for.

smitty16s

Trusted Member
Jan 23, 2009
Well I came from southern Illinois paying 400$ a month. Moved to a 1 bedroom for 1065$. Rest of US locality. The housing market is a better deal than the rentals down here.

charlie_delta

Rookie
Apr 9, 2012
Moving to DC area soon and we're looking at places for $1,700. My first apartment ever was a 2bd 1ba for $550... Still have sticker shock.