Anyone interested in transferring to ZOA- Oakland Center (lvl 11 35.15% loc Pay)

brianL

Newcomer
Nov 11, 2009
You are DEAD wrong.

The new contract provides several guaranteed options to leave. Read it and appreciate it!

We released two people to NORCAL this summer alone. That's with only like 175 CPC's. We have 18 new hires arriving in the month of November alone.

We fired Raytheon and now all training is by CPCs.

Also: ZOA is possibly the new "Houston" considering the following:

Level 11 Pay
10% CIP from day one ( missed in the above post )
35% locality.

I believe if you do the numbers that makes us the highest paid in the nation.

The Bay area is hurting and housing is getting CHEAP.

Also for new hires going to the ocean:

Only two D Sides for D2
Only two R Sides for D3

... Then you sit around and work radar till a ATOPS class.
the previous statement actually sounded dead on right. I know personally one of the controllers released to NCT and he had been on administrative for nearly 2 years unable to work on the floor at ZOA so of course they let him go, he was sucking the budget dry and not working any traffic!

Of the 18 new hires i would say that two thirds of them will never reach CPC at ZOA. They lie and say that their wash out rate is really low but thats because they only count the trainees that are fired from the agency as "washouts" instead of all the training failures. This may have improved somewhat since raytheon was fired, but i spent a year there before i washed out and did not whitness 1 trainee in the building reach cpc over that period. Meanwhile aproximatley 20 developmentals washed out over that period.

It is the highest paid facility though...if that makes you feel better.

chris325ci

Rookie
Nov 9, 2008
Those numbers listed are already with locality. Here are the numbers inclusive of locality and CIP (per the red book, both percentages are based off of basic pay):

ZNY (level 12) - $103669 (base) + $29773 (locality) + $10366 (CIP) = $143808
ZOA (level 11) - $98731 (base) + $34703 (locality) + $9873 (CIP) = $143307

ZNY wins by $501

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Those numbers listed are already with locality. Here are the numbers inclusive of locality and CIP (per the red book, both percentages are based off of basic pay):

ZNY (level 12) - $103669 (base) + $29773 (locality) + $10366 (CIP) = $143808
ZOA (level 11) - $98731 (base) + $34703 (locality) + $9873 (CIP) = $143307

ZNY wins by $501
got me there.... I was rounding 28% locality for NY and 35% for CA.

Looks like NY's 28 . 72 and level 12 makes the difference.

So yeah... we are second pay.

PopoySD

Jul 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Of the 18 new hires i would say that two thirds of them will never reach CPC at ZOA. They lie and say that their wash out rate is really low but thats because they only count the trainees that are fired from the agency as "washouts" instead of all the training failures. This may have improved somewhat since raytheon was fired, but i spent a year there before i washed out and did not whitness 1 trainee in the building reach cpc over that period. Meanwhile aproximatley 20 developmentals washed out over that period.

It is the highest paid facility though...if that makes you feel better.
so....where do you work now? coz i hate hearing stuff like this from people...i'm one of those hopefuls full of dreams wishing i can move to ZOA.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
The old training program was bad and yes they did wash many people out to lower level facilities. Raytheon is gone and CPC's took over training... We pilot for each other instead of RPO's so that gives you more practice and insight into the DYSIM problems.

People are passing training and making CPC... One gal I know who was hired in Jan 2010 just CPC'd and another who has been here for a while In my area is on his last R sides. 9 of the last 10 passed DYSIM for their D sides recently. This is with CPC's training them
and 3 have already passed their first two D sides on the floor.

So yeah there was a problem for a while and they didn't just fire people... They secured lower level facilities even for some that we're ON probation and FAILED DYSIM.

Other facilities may have just shown them the door.

With CPC's working mandatory 6 days and lots of time and money invested this program there is pressure on everyone for us to succeed. This all is positive so far.

Last edited:

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Uh, what? Mandatory six day weeks don't sound positive to me.
Yes and no. Yes because it certainly gives them an incentive to train people. We still have the South Area that looks mean and angry from a mile away. I don't think they know how to be happy. I bet you are familiar with them.

drewlsv

Newcomer
Jun 13, 2009
San Diego
I don't believe this is center wide. I'm a non-volunteer for overtime and this calendar year I have only had about 4-5 overtimes.

brianL

Newcomer
Nov 11, 2009
so....where do you work now? coz i hate hearing stuff like this from people...i'm one of those hopefuls full of dreams wishing i can move to ZOA.
Towers are pretty full of washouts and i was informed that it would be tough to find spots via article 61 (we were all told this) so they allowed me to attempt to ERR(employee request reassignment) out of ZOA. I had a hell of a time. I spoke to to facility managers that were ready and willing to pick me up to their towers, but in the end pretty much told me the district wasnt going to allow them to. I dont know who or why this was forced upon them. Im convinced ZOA had me blacklisted. Eventually i found a facility willing to pick me up but i had to search outside of the region and with no help from the management or union at zoa. Luckily i made my own things happen by calling every facility in the country on my own. And since again i managed to ERR out prior to recieving any training failure papers i dont get put in the wash out stats.
I now work at HTS, huntington WV. Its a level 6 up down. In 9 months ive passed the OKC tower class and fully tower certified on all positions at minimums. Im slated for RTF class nov 10th and my facility is projecting me to be full cpc spring/summer 2012.

brianL

Newcomer
Nov 11, 2009
The old training program was bad and yes they did wash many people out to lower level facilities. Raytheon is gone and CPC's took over training... We pilot for each other instead of RPO's so that gives you more practice and insight into the DYSIM problems.

People are passing training and making CPC... One gal I know who was hired in Jan 2010 just CPC'd and another who has been here for a while In my area is on his last R sides. 9 of the last 10 passed DYSIM for their D sides recently. This is with CPC's training them
and 3 have already passed their first two D sides on the floor.

So yeah there was a problem for a while and they didn't just fire people... They secured lower level facilities even for some that we're my probation and David DYSIM.

Other facilities may have just shown them the door.

With CPC's working mandatory 6 days and lots of time and money invested this program there is pressure on everyone for us to succeed. This all is positive so far.

Im glad that the program has improved, albeit to late for me. I wish all the trainees there the best. As for this statement "One gal I know who was hired in Jan 2010 just CPC'd". I find that very hard to believe and would like to know what her name is. It has to be jen or mallori the only 2 left from that time period, and i know mallori isnt cpc.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
I don't believe this is center wide. I'm a non-volunteer for overtime and this calendar year I have only had about 4-5 overtimes.
Area specific....but I think most areas are coming close to the minimum on the bid right now...plus retirements

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
Towers are pretty full of washouts and i was informed that it would be tough to find spots via article 61 (we were all told this) so they allowed me to attempt to ERR(employee request reassignment) out of ZOA. I had a hell of a time. I spoke to to facility managers that were ready and willing to pick me up to their towers, but in the end pretty much told me the district wasnt going to allow them to. I dont know who or why this was forced upon them. Im convinced ZOA had me blacklisted. Eventually i found a facility willing to pick me up but i had to search outside of the region and with no help from the management or union at zoa. Luckily i made my own things happen by calling every facility in the country on my own. And since again i managed to ERR out prior to recieving any training failure papers i dont get put in the wash out stats.
I now work at HTS, huntington WV. Its a level 6 up down. In 9 months ive passed the OKC tower class and fully tower certified on all positions at minimums. Im slated for RTF class nov 10th and my facility is projecting me to be full cpc spring/summer 2012.
What happned to you IS EXACTLY what they said will happen to any of us... they said if you do not pass probation and have some certifications they will use you to RPO and do Admin and give you a chance to ERR. If you are lucky you will find a spot. No one implied that management or the union would be helping us do this. The most recent person to wash out could not get a facility through the ERR so she went to article 61 and was offered, PAO, STS. SJC, MRI and JNU. She ended up going to a facility whe tried to get with her ERRs.

They also let people who are off probation do this in an attempt to make it voluntary and for people to not loose they second chance.

Congrats on making it to another facility... I hope RTF goes well.

How did you get HTS? Know someone or just managed to find a place that really needed developmentals? How long did it take you?

brianL

Newcomer
Nov 11, 2009
What happned to you IS EXACTLY what they said will happen to any of us... they said if you do not pass probation and have some certifications they will use you to RPO and do Admin and give you a chance to ERR. If you are lucky you will find a spot. No one implied that management or the union would be helping us do this. The most recent person to wash out could not get a facility through the ERR so she went to article 61 and was offered, PAO, STS. SJC, MRI and JNU. She ended up going to a facility whe tried to get with her ERRs.

They also let people who are off probation do this in an attempt to make it voluntary and for people to not loose they second chance.

Congrats on making it to another facility... I hope RTF goes well.

How did you get HTS? Know someone or just managed to find a place that really needed developmentals? How long did it take you?
A little of both. Like i said i made alot of phone calls. Some managers werent interested but steered me in the direction of those that did. I spoke to some one who led me to my current manager. He turned out to be a great guy who really needed people. I think he went a little above and beyond to help me out. It took me about a month altogether. 2 weeks of faxing ERR paperwork and making phonecalls until he said he was interested. About another week until he said he had it in the works. then about another week till i had the paperwork. I left Oakland about a month after that.

Rosstafari

Daaaang.
Aug 17, 2008
/X
We still have the South Area that looks mean and angry from a mile away. I don't think they know how to be happy. I bet you are familiar with them.
I thought that was just because they were talking to me. Or Nellis. Those guys get checked out in three months.

mjh55404

Senior Analyst
Jul 3, 2009
OKC
I thought that was just because they were talking to me. Or Nellis. Those guys get checked out in three months.
Nope....universal. We had a guy in East (which is really laid back) transfer to Norcal only to end up working a sector that talks to our South area all day long.... kind of a laugh