Anyone Know About Staffing in WI Facilities

Lpingel

Newcomer
Sep 19, 2009
I live in Appleton, thinking about going to MCTC (or whatever the one in Min. is called) I really would like to get a job in Wisconsin (tower)! I would be graduating from school pretty much 2 years from now...do you think they will have everyone hired by then for the retirees?! Any other info you can give me would be great. Thanks!

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
Not everyone. It is a continual process of people retiring and people getting hired. Also, if you work in WI, your going to be working the tracon too. All 3 WI facilities are up/down.

Lpingel

Newcomer
Sep 19, 2009
Not everyone. It is a continual process of people retiring and people getting hired. Also, if you work in WI, your going to be working the tracon too. All 3 WI facilities are up/down.
I see how exactly does up/down work? One day in the tower next day on tracon? or week/week. month/month. hr/hr lol thanks. for the response.

jarhead0863

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2009
I see how exactly does up/down work? One day in the tower next day on tracon? or week/week. month/month. hr/hr lol thanks. for the response.
It all depends on the facility. I've heard of some where you work all of the positions in one day where as others you may work mainly tower or radar and then go to the other briefly just to stay proficient.

Clutch

Apr 24, 2010
I live in Appleton, thinking about going to MCTC (or whatever the one in Min. is called) I really would like to get a job in Wisconsin (tower)! I would be graduating from school pretty much 2 years from now...do you think they will have everyone hired by then for the retirees?! Any other info you can give me would be great. Thanks!
I just graduated from MCTC and it is a great program. It's all en route though no tower but you can still get trained on tower at the academy, people have gone tower after graduating from our program. Once you get your generals done the first semester is learning non-radar rules, then the last two semesters are all spent in the radar lab which has the same equipment they use out at the centers and pseudo pilot positions so the teachers can program and simulation they want and we practice flow control, approaches, weather, emergencies and learn all the radar keyboard commands. You have retired controllers who worked at minneapolis and indianapolis centers paired up with a group of four students while you run simulations and they help you out and you learn radar and radar associate. The two main teachers are both retired military and civilian controllers and will go out of their way to help you succeed. You actually practice on an actual sector at Minneapolis Center and you have to memorize the airspace just like you would in the field. It's a great place to train at.

erich1188

Rookie
Oct 16, 2009
Erich, I have actually talked to THE source at MKE and was told that they aren't allowed hire any more people right now b/c they are so over staffed.
Yea, that's pretty much what I've been told too.. I do know of at least one position open at MSN, a friend of mine quit after a couple months up there. Ahh well by the time PUBNAT8 gets looked at maybe MKE will have openings. :willy:

eqfan592

Rookie
Mar 28, 2010
Yea, that's pretty much what I've been told too.. I do know of at least one position open at MSN, a friend of mine quit after a couple months up there. Ahh well by the time PUBNAT8 gets looked at maybe MKE will have openings. :willy:
Well, just to chime in here, I was just at MKE today to take the MMPI, and the person I spoke with, who stated that she's in charge of staffing for MKE (as well as several other facilities) was telling me that they just started getting word of a bunch of new people heading their way.

So not sure what the deal is at all. All I know is that I was ALSO told MKE wasn't getting any more, which is why I accepted a redirect to EVV over a month ago.

mtlatc

Epic Member
Oct 17, 2008
In a bus down by the river!
It all depends on the facility. I've heard of some where you work all of the positions in one day where as others you may work mainly tower or radar and then go to the other briefly just to stay proficient.
My last assignment in the military had the FAA RAPCON on the base. We always knew when the "tower" folks were at the facility getting their "pro-time"