Application Status on Aviator (August 2016 Bid)

MikeKiloRomeo

Feb 28, 2016
needed a 50 on his last eval to pass overall with a 70 and was killing it? lol that a joke? He obviously had an overall score in the 70's heading into his last eval...
Right. If you needed a 50 on your last eval, you were not doing amazing. You were doing average. I'm at the academy now (and I too love it when people who have never been here tell everyone what it's like because they had a friend here). Let me tell you all something. Don't believe a word anyone says until you get here. Things here change constantly. More than that, and you'll see what I'm talking about, people lie about how they are doing. All. The. Time. Whether they don't want to admit their faults to themselves or others, I don't know. Some people have no problem discussing where they went wrong in a problem (the preferred method so everyone can learn - everything should be an open and frank discussion). Some will just not say anything if they ran a bad one (and everyone will have a bad one). Some straight lie. I have friends here who I'm really close to and even though we are all a fairly tight-knit group and everyone supports one another, they still lie. I'm guessing an ego thing.

It's been fairly common for people to get a 0 on their radar evals. Some have gotten 2 0's. No one has this "in the bag". Trust me. We've had people do perfect in basics, and crap out through the rest of the program. Basics, non-radar, radar - they are all different. Some people really struggled in non-radar are just shining in radar. Some who have been doing nearly perfect this whole time just aren't cutting it in radar.

My best advice as someone who is nearly done? Keep partying to a bare minimum. I only drank on weekends in basics. Never during the week, and I wouldn't get trashed either when I drank. After basics, no more alcohol. It was study study study. You can find every excuse in the world not to study or run non-radar problems. But those who find every excuse are not doing well. You get what you put into it.

If you come here thinking you have it in the bag, your attitude will quickly change in non-radar, unless you have a lot of non-radar experience. Moreso than that, that sort of attitude will not win you many friends or a studying group - and you NEED one in non-radar. Starting after basics, everyone gets knocked down a peg or two.

My very best advice is to keep your head down and study hard. Ask ALL the questions and never let a day go by where you were going to ask your instructor something but didn't. Everything should be clear to you each day. Maybe you didn't get it right during the problem, but you should know where you went wrong at the end of each day. Also, your reputation for the rest of your career starts here. Instructors will talk about you if you make yourself memorable (don't). Other students will too. This is a very small community. Don't be that guy/girl. Remove yourself from any drama in your class.

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Made the grade I needed. That's what happens when you make a 14 on the 1st run.
[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] holy hell dude ... thats brutal but at the same time thats mad impressive you graduated!!! Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Right. If you needed a 50 on your last eval, you were not doing amazing. You were doing average. I'm at the academy now (and I too love it when people who have never been here tell everyone what it's like because they had a friend here). Let me tell you all something. Don't believe a word anyone says until you get here. Things here change constantly. More than that, and you'll see what I'm talking about, people lie about how they are doing. All. The. Time. Whether they don't want to admit their faults to themselves or others, I don't know. Some people have no problem discussing where they went wrong in a problem (the preferred method so everyone can learn - everything should be an open and frank discussion). Some will just not say anything if they ran a bad one (and everyone will have a bad one). Some straight lie. I have friends here who I'm really close to and even though we are all a fairly tight-knit group and everyone supports one another, they still lie. I'm guessing an ego thing.

It's been fairly common for people to get a 0 on their radar evals. Some have gotten 2 0's. No one has this "in the bag". Trust me. We've had people do perfect in basics, and crap out through the rest of the program. Basics, non-radar, radar - they are all different. Some people really struggled in non-radar are just shining in radar. Some who have been doing nearly perfect this whole time just aren't cutting it in radar.

My best advice as someone who is nearly done? Keep partying to a bare minimum. I only drank on weekends in basics. Never during the week, and I wouldn't get trashed either when I drank. After basics, no more alcohol. It was study study study. You can find every excuse in the world not to study or run non-radar problems. But those who find every excuse are not doing well. You get what you put into it.

If you come here thinking you have it in the bag, your attitude will quickly change in non-radar, unless you have a lot of non-radar experience. Moreso than that, that sort of attitude will not win you many friends or a studying group - and you NEED one in non-radar. Starting after basics, everyone gets knocked down a peg or two.

My very best advice is to keep your head down and study hard. Ask ALL the questions and never let a day go by where you were going to ask your instructor something but didn't. Everything should be clear to you each day. Maybe you didn't get it right during the problem, but you should know where you went wrong at the end of each day. Also, your reputation for the rest of your career starts here. Instructors will talk about you if you make yourself memorable (don't). Other students will too. This is a very small community. Don't be that guy/girl. Remove yourself from any drama in your class.
Hey man thanks for this input this is awesome. Im glad people like you are upfront and very informative and helpful. Sounds like my friend wasnt 100% honest with me.

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
Look. Believe what you want. I will be going to the academy this year and I fully expect to do exceptionally well.
You will *NOT* be going to the academy this year. For someone that is so hardcore about this, you have no clue how the process works. The first hires on this bid will probably make it to the academy in February.

Romeo_Echo

Aug 17, 2015
FL
You will *NOT* be going to the academy this year. For someone that is so hardcore about this, you have no clue how the process works. The first hires on this bid will probably make it to the academy in February.
I'd say February is wishful thinking since there are people from last year's OTS bid that are getting dates into January.... And there are a bunch more who are all cleared still waiting for dates

angelorozco101

Oct 27, 2011
🇺🇸
They're trolling. I'll try my best to moderate the posts.

AviatorATC

Oct 12, 2011
TX

You got it exactly right. And best of luck to you.

I was lucky enough to have passed after my second radar eval. We lost 3 people in my class on the last day and I guarantee it was because they had "the number" in their head during the last run. They knew exactly what score they needed to have a career, and by then you know exactly how much every mistake is worth.

My best advice (to which you will hear a million times) is take every single point seriously. Even the damn map test that is worth like 1% of your overall grade. Take it seriously. Go to evals with 28,29, 30+ points and you will have a good shot at passing the course after two. If you dont, do everything you can to not think about what you need to pass during that last eval.

Good luck to all you guys from this bid.

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
I'd say February is wishful thinking since there are people from last year's OTS bid that are getting dates into January.... And there are a bunch more who are all cleared still waiting for dates
That's true for en route, terminal, last I heard, is still filling end of September classes, possibly middle of October. My guess, the initial wave of hires will be primarily terminal (still seems like lots of en route in queue, with not as many terminal). Who knows though.

They're trolling. I'll try my best to moderate the posts.

Yea, thanks. I just want to make sure to clear things up for others, so they don't think they will be hired in a month.

ware230

Trusted Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
IL Enroute CA
Since everything's completely off topic anyways, here's something very important to keep in mind about Radar Evals. There is an easy, moderate and difficult problem that every person will run but in a different order... I left my first problem scoring a 98 while some in the class scored in the teens or even negative (they will just show 0). My last problem, I needed a 3 to pass. My last problem, lucky for me ended up being the difficult and I scored a 64. While I only needed a 3, I had in my mind that some didn't even score 1 so you're never safe. Always remember the 3 levels of the problems, if you didn't do great on the first, it probably was the moderate or difficult problem and you CAN RECOVER. One of my good friends had the difficult on his first problem and scored a 16, he panicked and couldn't perform on the last two, mentally he was destroyed. Now looking back, he could have still been fine while scoring in the 90s and high 60s on the next two. It's all perspective and I'm only sharing because I wish someone had told us in advance.

CTI-LUVR

Aug 23, 2016
Tempe, AZ
I don't need to know how the process works. It's pretty simple. I apply..I take tests....I get job. #DOFH

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Can someone tell me how everything for enroute is weighed out at the academy? Like actual percentages. I know you need an overall average of 70% to pass. Is there like a syllabus someone can give me possibly? Also jake can you or maybe someone else pm me and send me a copy of the ZAE map? Thanks in advance!

gsujake

Trusted Member
Nov 29, 2011
Can someone tell me how everything for enroute is weighed out at the academy? Like actual percentages. I know you need an overall average of 70% to pass. Is there like a syllabus someone can give me possibly? Also jake can you or maybe someone else pm me and send me a copy of the ZAE map? Thanks in advance!

CKT1 4 PTS
CKT2 5 PTS
MAP TEST 2 POINTS
AIRCRAFT ID 4 PTS
NR1 7 PTS NR2 7 PTS
Computer Checklist 5 PTS.
RADAR 1,2,3 22 PTS EACH.