Application Status on Aviator (August 2016 Bid)

jmanley20

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2015
In the Slot
Ive never seen a group of more impatient people before. We all know from the past bids that this is a slow process, its been two weeks since the bid even opened and people are already losing their minds.

Based on how easily some of you lose control on here id be scared to work next to you in RAPCON or Tower
There are no RAPCONs in the FAA ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n0vemberh0tel

Rookie
Jul 15, 2016
Great but we can save all that until you are CPC you are trash military shit. We are all adults, we have jobs, going ATC is just a career change.
I sure wouldn't hope that you are implying that military controllers are shit? I've been in ATC for 7 years now (Not a long time by any means, but 7 times longer then most in this post) and I can with 100% certainty tell you that there are plenty of military controllers that will control circles around 99% of the FAA only guys.

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
When do the AT-SA emails come out? Anyone know from the past bids ?
Last year it was around 2 months. This year will likely be even longer 3-4 months. Less than 3000 passed the BA last year, this year around 10,000 did. They have to go through each and every application and find anything that could disqualify people, and then whoever is left MIGHT be allowed to take the ATSA. At one point, I saw how much it costs to administer 1 AT-SAT test, I can't seem to find it anymore though. Something like $350 a pop I think. So $3.5 million to do 10,000 tests. It is possible they will try and eliminate as many people as possible beforehand -> which will take lots of time.

Purplelobj

Epic Member
Jan 29, 2014
I believe the ATSA will be administered at more local locations and should therefore be cheaper and allow people to take the test at a time more convenient to them. At least that is how they administered it to the controllers who verified it.

Remington

Aug 16, 2016
Ive never seen a group of more impatient people before. We all know from the past bids that this is a slow process, its been two weeks since the bid even opened and people are already losing their minds.

Based on how easily some of you lose control on here id be scared to work next to you in RAPCON or Tower
I didn't realize asking questions in a discussion forum that was created for people to get more information was considering losing your mind.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
I believe the ATSA will be administered at more local locations and should therefore be cheaper and allow people to take the test at a time more convenient to them. At least that is how they administered it to the controllers who verified it.
Like at the FSDO's?

Headtrip

Rookie
Jan 21, 2016
I sure wouldn't hope that you are implying that military controllers are shit? I've been in ATC for 7 years now (Not a long time by any means, but 7 times longer then most in this post) and I can with 100% certainty tell you that there are plenty of military controllers that will control circles around 99% of the FAA only guys.
All he was saying was, there's no need for the military mentality where you treat people like they are nothing until they get checked out.

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
When I took the verification AT-SA it was a local testing center. There were folks taking real estate and I think some land survey-type exams too.
Really, that would be smart. I don't know why they haven't utilized established infrastructure where they don't have to pay all the costs associated with testing (rent, staff, etc). They could probably get costs to around $150 a test, while decreasing the distance people would have to drive.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Really, that would be smart. I don't know why they haven't utilized established infrastructure where they don't have to pay all the costs associated with testing (rent, staff, etc). They could probably get costs to around $150 a test, while decreasing the distance people would have to drive.
When I took my AT-SAT years ago there were people fown up WITH computers from thousands of miles away to a hotel conference room. The entire test was video taped. Althught they did get about 75 tests done in a two day period.

Headtrip

Rookie
Jan 21, 2016
Hopefully things will go faster this time. The FAA knows it needs to hire a lot of people over the next 10 years, they have to have tried to streamline the process.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
What CTI degree do you need to get to by pass the Bio q? Is it 1 or 2 or 4 years degree?
It's 2 plus 2 years of work or a 4 year. I wouldn't recommend doing it now. A lot of us did it under the old system. In the old system it was pretty automatic from CTI to hired, It's different now...

rdyotz

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2014
Arizona
When I took my AT-SAT years ago there were people fown up WITH computers from thousands of miles away to a hotel conference room. The entire test was video taped. Althught they did get about 75 tests done in a two day period.
Damn, federal spending at it's best.

Hopefully things will go faster this time. The FAA knows it needs to hire a lot of people over the next 10 years, they have to have tried to streamline the process.
Doubt it, they are a federal organization, there is no streamlining. Also, they still have hundreds of people to get through from the 2015 bid (originally expected to take until March 2017 to put them all in classes).

ware230

Trusted Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
IL Enroute CA
What CTI degree do you need to get to by pass the Bio q? Is it 1 or 2 or 4 years degree?
You only would need to go to an "Approved CTI School" which you can google or find on the FAA website. You can find a 2 year or less program from a couple community colleges. I know Mt. Sac in CA has one.