Application Status Update

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
So all this talk about them changing the AT-SAT.

Is it still going to be angles, dials, and finding the speed or distance traveled by aircraft? Or are they incorporating new questions into it? Because if it's still going to be the same criteria, then there is nothing to stress over, that stuff is almost foolproof.

lrcr

Apr 29, 2011
Seattle, WA
It was stated on the 'ATC Hiring' thread that the AT-SAT is going to be the exact same except they are getting rid of the questions at the end.

Many people fail this test or don't get WQ, I wouldn't call it foolproof.

ColdAilment

May 26, 2012
It was stated on the 'ATC Hiring' thread that the AT-SAT is going to be the exact same except they are getting rid of the questions at the end.

Many people fail this test or don't get WQ, I wouldn't call it foolproof.
What questions were at the end?

lrcr

Apr 29, 2011
Seattle, WA
It had one of those assessments like do you get stressed easy? Then they cross check that question later. I would say it was 50 to 75 questions.

The BQ replaced it I believe.

coasters

Rookie
Feb 18, 2012
Allegedly
Exactly this. I've seen a few posts (and I also think so myself) that the questionaire at the end played a huge role in the final score. I even recall it repeating questions later on in different wording, maybe as a cross check. Who really knows though...

tyatc

Newcomer
Nov 1, 2013
I was just sitting here reading through these posts and realized that this atsat bull crap is mandatory. I didn't even notice it on the job application, lol. I really think this is a waste of money and time. I have 4 CTO's for crying out loud! Why do I need to take the atsat? I don't understand it at all!?!?!? I by no means think this job is supposed to be mine and am in no way saying I deserve it more than the nxt guy/gal but even the .65 tells us to use common sense and good judgement. I would think they would do the same.

lrcr

Apr 29, 2011
Seattle, WA
Common sense? haha it's the feds. Isn't a crazy thought that if you bomb the letter factory your 4 CTOs dont mean jackall!

m1kehot3l

Trusted Member
Jun 5, 2013
I was just sitting here reading through these posts and realized that this atsat bull crap is mandatory. I didn't even notice it on the job application, lol. I really think this is a waste of money and time. I have 4 CTO's for crying out loud! Why do I need to take the atsat? I don't understand it at all!?!?!? I by no means think this job is supposed to be mine and am in no way saying I deserve it more than the nxt guy/gal but even the .65 tells us to use common sense and good judgement. I would think they would do the same.
Well maybe you should have used all of that brain power and common sense to know that it was a requirement to take the ATSAT

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
If you can't pass the AT SAT you aren't qualified. It is the easiest test ever.

LyraM45

Mar 6, 2012
CA
If you can't pass the AT SAT you aren't qualified. It is the easiest test ever.

I think plenty of people will argue against that. I've met controllers that are awesome controllers but barely passed the atsat, and I've met people who got 100 on it and washed out faster than you can imagine. Based on the new people I've seen come through my facility the last 4 years, I don't think that test is a perfect identifier for who will be qualified and successful and who is not. Just my .02 on that.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
I think plenty of people will argue against that. I've met controllers that are awesome controllers but barely passed the atsat, and I've met people who got 100 on it and washed out faster than you can imagine. Based on the new people I've seen come through my facility the last 4 years, I don't think that test is a perfect identifier for who will be qualified and successful and who is not. Just my .02 on that.
There were 3 kids in my class that didn't pass the AT-SAT. There were 0 surprises on who those 3 kids were.

Dub

Rookie
Oct 14, 2013
19th Floor
AT-SAT is a large waste of time, money, and mental energy.
I honestly thought this was the case after I originally took the ATSAT because it was easy for me. Now, I am not so sure. What would the washout rate be without this test? Does anyone know? There has to be some way of evaluating the aptitude needed for the job. We know that schools can't teach it and psychics can't predict it, so how do you propose we find candidates? This site is full of rumors of "20,000 applicants who think air traffic involves orange sticks". Realistically, it doesn't matter what the applicants think the job entails. I think they should give the test, which was developed by doctors and researchers, to everyone who meets the minimum requirements. A bigger pool of "well qualified" candidates hopefully equals a better chance of successful new hires at the academy, then hopefully more success in the field. Everything you need to know to start training at your first facility is taught by the FAA at the academy, if you don't pick it up you wash out and someone else takes your place.

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
I honestly thought this was the case after I originally took the ATSAT because it was easy for me. Now, I am not so sure. What would the washout rate be without this test? Does anyone know? There has to be some way of evaluating the aptitude needed for the job. We know that schools can't teach it and psychics can't predict it, so how do you propose we find candidates? This site is full of rumors of "20,000 applicants who think air traffic involves orange sticks". Realistically, it doesn't matter what the applicants think the job entails. I think they should give the test, which was developed by doctors and researchers, to everyone who meets the minimum requirements. A bigger pool of "well qualified" candidates hopefully equals a better chance of successful new hires at the academy, then hopefully more success in the field. Everything you need to know to start training at your first facility is taught by the FAA at the academy, if you don't pick it up you wash out and someone else takes your place.
this

gjohnson1989

Newcomer
Feb 26, 2014
So let me ask you guys this, I applied for the job and was wondering what you guys think might be my chances of making it to the Academy. I have a Bachelor's Degree and Veteran's Preference (5 points). Whatever you guys think, I'd like to hear. Thanks!

AntAcree

Jan 14, 2012
Georgia
So let me ask you guys this, I applied for the job and was wondering what you guys think might be my chances of making it to the Academy. I have a Bachelor's Degree and Veteran's Preference (5 points). Whatever you guys think, I'd like to hear. Thanks!
Chances are good. Thanks for sharing.