Application Status Update

NovaZDC

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2009
Try having more ratings than you can shake a stick at, including FAA Tower and TRACON ratings, being current in a tower, and being told you've got to take some at-sat as if you've never talked to a single airplane in your life? That's taking it dry from a broken bottle behind a circle K while a crackhead smacks you in the mouth with a dead fish.
In the same boat. If they want to make the hiring process more equal, why don't they look at actual ATC experience first? I mean this IS a job opening for air traffic controllers is it not? If they want to break a dead heat tie between two OTS hires who they aren't sure about, then they could always request aptitude tests, but to make this mandatory for military controllers or people who have held multiple civilian ratings...seems like a waste of FAA money honestly.

lrcr

Apr 29, 2011
Seattle, WA
VRA. CTO. ReinCPC. I've got two FAA CPC ratings, one in an AT-6 up/down and one in a 10 standalone TRACON. Took time off to play Mr. Mom while my wife developed her business. Then the FAA revamped the hiring process again. And again. And now, again.

Apparently a couple years of paternity time gets you blacklisted.
That absolutely blows.. At least you got some quality time with your kids though.

klodabest

Newcomer
Feb 22, 2014
I would have to think the next status update we get would be referred or not. Since it is automated, I think it will come relatively quick, but after that who knows when the eligible will be able to take the AT-SAT.

dvsxlt247

Newcomer
Feb 24, 2014
Miami, FL
Hi. I'm new on this forum. I applied during this months opening. I'm waiting just like everyone else to see if I make it through the initial qualifications and bio questions. Hoping I get the opportunity to move on to the next round and take the AT-SAT. I feel confident that I'll advance. I definitely should qualify fine but who knows how strict they will be when evaluating everything. When I submitted my application, the AVIATOR system accepted it and shows that it was received. We'll see what happens.

does anyone know what the best way is to study and prep for the AT-SAT currently? I've heard about the green book and also looked at atcprep.com but are those still the most current and best way to prep or is there a newer book that reflects the way the current AT-SAT is? That green book was published in 2006. If there is a newer version or something better that is current and recent, I'd like to get that. Appreciate any help.

AlphaBravoh

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Hi. I'm new on this forum. I applied during this months opening. I'm waiting just like everyone else to see if I make it through the initial qualifications and bio questions. Hoping I get the opportunity to move on to the next round and take the AT-SAT. I feel confident that I'll advance. I definitely should qualify fine but who knows how strict they will be when evaluating everything. When I submitted my application, the AVIATOR system accepted it and shows that it was received. We'll see what happens.

does anyone know what the best way is to study and prep for the AT-SAT currently? I've heard about the green book and also looked at atcprep.com but are those still the most current and best way to prep or is there a newer book that reflects the way the current AT-SAT is? That green book was published in 2006. If there is a newer version or something better that is current and recent, I'd like to get that. Appreciate any help.
AT-SAT is an aptitude test... You can only 'study' so much for it....

bkaviator32

Newcomer
May 19, 2012
^^ agree, but when do we find out if we passed bio questionnaire? I read somewhere that in 5 days we will know how true is that? thanks

SuperMario

Apr 10, 2012
Don't expect to get any good answers about how to score well on the Atsat from the SM community... There's a lot of people who took it already that won't tell anyone how to do well on it due to the new hiring.... Good luck.....

GS3k

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2013

The ATCPREP.com software works really well, although the AT-SAT was definitely easier than the highest difficulty problems the software offers. I never tried the green book but I did well on the AT-SAT regardless. If there's one thing to really put emphasis on it's the scenarios and the letter factory test, those were the most unlike standardized tests that I've taken. There's a really good guide on this very website that has a lot of tips and tricks.

Ignore people who make idiotic comments, they're complaining because they feel like the air traffic control jobs were already theirs (for some reason); subconsciously the competition scares them.

georgie

Newcomer
Jul 25, 2013
L.A.
What happened to that PML dude? lol. that dude is humor, I hope if I get selected I go to whatever facility he's at because that dude is 100 % comedy. I now see that the applicant number went from 50,000 to 20,000, StuckMic is a circus I swear lmao. People on here are stressing on the wrong things for no reason. I'm not going to lie though, im scared of this ATSAT. math is not a friend of mine, 2+2=6.

jamisjockey

Banned
Jan 10, 2010
What happened to that PML dude? lol. that dude is humor, I hope if I get selected I go to whatever facility he's at because that dude is 100 % comedy. I now see that the applicant number went from 50,000 to 20,000, StuckMic is a circus I swear lmao. People on here are stressing on the wrong things for no reason. I'm not going to lie though, im scared of this ATSAT. math is not a friend of mine, 2+2=6.
I'm right there with you. I royally suck at math and it's been over 20 years since I was in a classroom where math was involved.

devoixmr

Oct 28, 2011
at sat math really wasnt all that bad. Most of the problems worked out evenly, if they don't look at the answers. 2 or 3 out of 4 choices are going to be ridiculous. IE. 235 dived by 1 3/4 =? a. 134.29 b. 0 c. 594349050349059340504 d. 2

lrcr

Apr 29, 2011
Seattle, WA
AT-SAT Math if I recall gives you 25 minutes. It's easy and like the post above, most answers dont make sense. All you need to do is get familiar with common miles per minute... 120 knots = 2 mpm, 180 = 3 etc..

32andBelow

Senior Analyst
Jan 20, 2011
Angles, Dials, etc is easy as hell, but again you can study if you wish. The letter factory and ATC SIM games while not identical were good enough to practice on. The only sections I could see not being able to study was the bio-q and maybe analogies. Although anyone who did SAT prep knows you can study analogies.

georgie

Newcomer
Jul 25, 2013
L.A.
I'm going to prepare for the ATSAT like I've prepared for the ASVAB and every other test I've took related to this career field, last minute. yes sir! all I need is an 80. I think.