Apply for Open Bid or Graduate First?

TKOwnedU5

Rookie
Apr 10, 2015
Orlando and Miami
I'll try and make this short. I've been to a CTI school for Air traffic control, dropped out in 2014-2015 due to the past hiring practices. I took the biographical questionnaire back then and failed as many other did. I'm now a senior in college about to graduate with a bachelors in business administration with a focus in logistics. I should graduate by next year 2017. I will be 22 years old. Aviation has been my passion ever since I was a little kid. My goal is to become an airline pilot. I'll go through the military (AF Reserve or ANG) to pursue my passion for aviation. If all else fails I'll attack my second choice, which would be becoming an Air Traffic Controller.

Should I apply for this open bid now or wait till after I graduate college? I'll pursue my dream of becoming a pilot first, but If I don't get accepted into any units then I'll focus on ATC. The reason I ask is because, will I be shooting myself in the foot if I don't attack this opportunity now?

All in all if my dream of becoming a pilot doesn't fall through I'll be somewhere between 23-25 years old. Relatively young, I shouldn't have an issue if I wanted to apply for future bids, correct?

rocketappliance

Jun 4, 2015
The previous OTS bids have required either a 4 year degree or 3 years of full time work experience. So unless you have the full time work experience, I don't believe you'd qualify for the upcoming OTS bid. Once the bid is posted, it'll (obviously) have the requirements but it seems like those requirements will be the same.

If you're wanting to pursue a flying career, why apply for ATC now? What would you do if you're offered an ATC position? The hiring process is a long one, but the FAA isn't going to wait to see if you get selected by the AF Reserves or a ANG unit.

You will have plenty of time to apply to the FAA if your pilot plans fall through.

rocketappliance

Jun 4, 2015
Keep an eye on the FAA hiring numbers/bid requirements in the future as well...who knows how the bids in a six months/one year/two years will shake out.

VikAnis

Trusted Member
Apr 23, 2013
N. Cali
My advice is to APPLY and take the job if you make it through the academy. If you were disqualified in 2014 at the BQ stage, you are eligible to apply. You should be able to finish up your degree next year before going to the academy. There are a LOT of uncertainties at this point as to your goal of becoming an airline pilot. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue the goal, rather it means that there is a significant chance that you won't become or want to become a pilot (meeting military requiremnts, going through the military, meeting medical requirements, paying for additional training, airline pilot demand, working your way up to the big league, living out of a suitcase, work/life balance, etc). A lot of pilots end up becoming controllers and a lot of controllers obtain their PPL. ATCS have one of the highest job satisfaction numbers in the country. So, unless you are really set on becoming a pilot, you should definitely APPLY. Keep in mind, demand for ATCS should taper off over the years. Just my 2 cents.

jokat989

Rookie
Feb 4, 2013
I wanted to be a pilot. Switched to being a controller because of the 1500 hr ATP rule.

best decision ive ever made in my entire life.

Unfortunately, the golden years of the airline pilot carer is over. no longer is it all about drinking cocktails and banging flight attendants, it now about living in hotel rooms, collecting food stamps because you are under paid and over worked

but dont let me stop you from following your dreams. maybe if oil prices stay stable, they might think about paying pilots more.

jokat989

Rookie
Feb 4, 2013
Could you elaborate? You all are definitely making me rethink my decisions for the future...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pro
get to sleep in your own bed every night
government retirement pension (COLA adjustments after you retire)
good pay
job satisfaction

con
dealing with government bureaucracy and politics

to elaborate on what was said earlier, the FAA has not hired enough controllers to replace retirements and attrition for the last few years; the 2013 government shutdown really screwed the whole system. presently we are in a staffing shortage, and the agency is hiring at a feverishly quick pace. once the staffing crisis is resolved, the feverish pace will slow down, so now is a good opportunity to get in.

RA-BeastMode

Aug 16, 2015
On a Cruise Boat
I'm currently a controller in the Air Force. I can tell you that I have personally witnessed 2 former airline pilots (one was regional Delta and another regional Jet Blue) quit their jobs and joined the Air Force to get into ATC. The biggest complaint that I heard from each of the two (after looking at them dumbfounded) was that the pay was terrible. One guy said he had been with Delta for two years as a CRJ-2 co-pilot and was making like $25k a year. Heck no.........And yes they were both able to prove they indeed were former commercial airline pilots. I know a handful of controllers who have their PPLs....shoot, we have an Aero club where I'm stationed now that provides flying lessons.

Echo Mike

Epic Member
Apr 2, 2015
Tennessee
Yes I had 3 years work experience. Thanks for your input. I'll pursue a flying career first.

So all it took was one guys comment to make you decide your future? Yea I would rather you just pursue being a pilot also if you are that much of a push over....not trying to be a dick but when you come here with questions like that its almost laughable.

TKOwnedU5

Rookie
Apr 10, 2015
Orlando and Miami
So all it took was one guys comment to make you decide your future? Yea I would rather you just pursue being a pilot also if you are that much of a push over....not trying to be a dick but when you come here with questions like that its almost laughable.
My decision was to pursue a flying career first to begin with. I don't see how my questions are laughable...

TKOwnedU5

Rookie
Apr 10, 2015
Orlando and Miami
How long will the process take before I leave for the academy? My expected graduation is May 2017 give or take a few months. I'd hate to be accepted then have to quit school so close to graduation.

Echo Mike

Epic Member
Apr 2, 2015
Tennessee
My decision was to pursue a flying career first to begin with. I don't see how my questions are laughable...

The questioning of total strangers to input on your career choice then you seem to accept one opinion and say yea thats what I will do is laughable. The numbers only go down for hiring after 2018 or so to hiring less than 1000 a year. With anywhere from 25,000-30,000 people applying, I would suggest you apply to every single bid possible in order to have a chance of getting in. If not, then goodluck becoming a pilot (I sincerely mean that) and being paid a shit salary for 10 years. If you want an opionion, there is mine.

Echo Mike

Epic Member
Apr 2, 2015
Tennessee
How long will the process take before I leave for the academy? My expected graduation is May 2017 give or take a few months. I'd hate to be accepted then have to quit school so close to graduation.

I would probably put a paycheck on it that if you apply Monday, you wouldnt have a class date before May 2017.

TKOwnedU5

Rookie
Apr 10, 2015
Orlando and Miami
I didn't mean to make it appear as if I was accepting his input and making that my decision.

Everyone talks about the shit pay, wouldn't having supplemental income from the AF reserve or ANG help me out a little? Not to mention I can sign up for any missions available for extra income. If all goes to plan I would be flying heavies/tankers for a few years while pursuing a slot with either a legacy airline or cargo airline.

TKOwnedU5

Rookie
Apr 10, 2015
Orlando and Miami
I would probably put a paycheck on it that if you apply Monday, you wouldnt have a class date before May 2017.
That's what I'm afraid of. I thoroughly enjoyed studying atc and doing hands on labs. So the job I would enjoy. If they do accept me do you guys think they would push my class date back a few months if I asked and explained my situation?

Jeronamoe

Oct 14, 2011
That's what I'm afraid of. I thoroughly enjoyed studying atc and doing hands on labs. So the job I would enjoy. If they do accept me do you guys think they would push my class date back a few months if I asked and explained my situation?

Yes, HR will work with you if you want to finish and need to push your intended class date back a bit

TKOwnedU5

Rookie
Apr 10, 2015
Orlando and Miami
Yes, HR will work with you if you want to finish and need to push your intended class date back a bit
Good to here. I've had a stead job for 3 years now. I don't average 40 hours every week. It's average around 30-40. Is this an issue because I'm not considered full time?

Jeronamoe

Oct 14, 2011
Good to here. I've had a stead job for 3 years now. I don't average 40 hours every week. It's average around 30-40. Is this an issue because I'm not considered full time?

Well, to be considered for for the CTI bid, you have to have completed CTI before you apply. As far as your job, they want to see that you worked 40 hrs.