April 28th Prior Experience Bid

echster

Sep 14, 2015
DoD ATC
...the lists that will be issued are purely based on needs of the FAA without any consideration of previous experience or geographic preferences....I’m hoping this isn’t true, and experience will play some part of what’s offered.

Has anyone heard anything that contradicts this?
Experience does play some part with facilities offered. Previous experience controllers may be offered up to ATC-9 and a rare ATC-10 and above. Those without experience that have to attend the Academy may be offered up to ATC-7 and a rare ATC-8 (mostly OKC/ICT).

More important to the FAA than experience alone is the location and complexity of the traffic worked. There is actually a math formula in a hiring SOP the FAA uses to weight experience/complexity. If they follow their own SOP, the facilities offered will be based on your score compared to only those you are competing for a list at that specific list date.

As it relates to geographic preference, the FAA has sole discretion related to assignments based on candidate preference. In other words, they may choose to apply some preference or no preference. My list included facilities in each of the regions, from Alaska to Florida and in between.

As with everything related to hiring by the FAA, your mileage may vary.

ajmezz

Epic Member
Apr 8, 2010
There really is no real rhyme or reason. Just the needs of the FAA. I had a list of around 24 facilities all around the country, level 4-6 tower only and a year prior my friend with the same experience received 6 level 5-6 up/downs in the Midwest-northeast.

Valverder17

Newcomer
Dec 11, 2015
St. Louis
When you finally get your list, how much consideration do they give to the "wish list" we put in the application and our usajobs profile? I'd hate to have to go through this whole process and have to decline because my list is all places that get snow.

I got my #1 pick from the list they gave me...haven't heard of anybody getting lower than their 2nd...good luck

amn_suazo

Newcomer
Jan 1, 2013
Has anyone with the second Referral notification that came out late November for this bid get TOL’s yet?

atcguyaz

Newcomer
May 7, 2010
Phoenix
Experience does play some part with facilities offered. Previous experience controllers may be offered up to ATC-9 and a rare ATC-10 and above. Those without experience that have to attend the Academy may be offered up to ATC-7 and a rare ATC-8 (mostly OKC/ICT).

More important to the FAA than experience alone is the location and complexity of the traffic worked. There is actually a math formula in a hiring SOP the FAA uses to weight experience/complexity. If they follow their own SOP, the facilities offered will be based on your score compared to only those you are competing for a list at that specific list date.

As it relates to geographic preference, the FAA has sole discretion related to assignments based on candidate preference. In other words, they may choose to apply some preference or no preference. My list included facilities in each of the regions, from Alaska to Florida and in between.

As with everything related to hiring by the FAA, your mileage may vary.
This makes more sense, rather than placing people any and every where.

I’m sure there will be surprises for everyone, but that’s part of it, from what I’ve learned through other postings and comments from other hires.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

angrybee

Rookie
May 4, 2016
I too am awaiting an all clear with everything, but I recently spoke to my HR rep and she informed me that the lists that will be issued are purely based on needs of the FAA without any consideration of previous experience or geographic preferences....I’m hoping this isn’t true, and experience will play some part of what’s offered.

Has anyone heard anything that contradicts this?

Speaking from from personal experiences, I was hired back in 2015. I was just out of the Air Force my only experience was a slow slow slow VFR tower. Probably equivalent to below a level 4. I got a list of 5 facilities all level 7 and up. I ended up getting sent to a level 9 up/down. Which made no sense because I really had no backing for that. They don't give a crap what your experience is. They send you where the slots are. I honestly think they just send a chunk of facilities off the placement list, whatever is next goes to the next person in line.

I know now tons of people who have been picked up from my same Air Force facility and they all are in random levels. No rhyme no reason.

A1T2C3

Rookie
Jun 25, 2015
Had an email conversation with the medical rep today. As usual she didn’t give any indication as to what the timeline would be, but she did tell me that I was in a group of 74 awaiting flight surgeon review. Anybody have any idea what that would mean as far as time goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1T2C3

Rookie
Jun 25, 2015
I thought the same thing. I was told I would hear by the end of the year. That obviously isn't going to happen.
It seemed too good to be true when you said it to be honest. I would have been highly skeptical and not at all surprised to not hear anything. Haha.

angrybee

Rookie
May 4, 2016
It seemed too good to be true when you said it to be honest. I would have been highly skeptical and not at all surprised to not hear anything. Haha.

honestly I was honking the same thing. I never expect anything to happen as they say.

A1T2C3

Rookie
Jun 25, 2015
honestly I was honking the same thing. I never expect anything to happen as they say.
Yeah. That’s the only way to think. Haha. Too much disappointment otherwise. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

Sosac21

Jul 17, 2016
So they needed more verification from my doctor about some back issues I had while I was active duty, on the 18th I got an email to let them know that if it takes longer than 30 days. So I’m assuming they are waiting on people like me to finish everything before making a list? If that’s the case I apologize guys

omiller83

Newcomer
Nov 3, 2008
From HR:

“When you were fully cleared, your name was provided on a weekly list to the Air Traffic Organization (ATO). Within the next week or two, the ATO will send you an email with a questionnaire and a list of facilities to rank, to help them determine what facility to assign you. Once they determinate a facility, which can take several more weeks, we will contact you to offer the facility along with a choice of several start dates.”

Kazansky22

Rookie
Jul 25, 2009
From HR:

“When you were fully cleared, your name was provided on a weekly list to the Air Traffic Organization (ATO). Within the next week or two, the ATO will send you an email with a questionnaire and a list of facilities to rank, to help them determine what facility to assign you. Once they determinate a facility, which can take several more weeks, we will contact you to offer the facility along with a choice of several start dates.”
Thats great man, by chance do you remember when you got cleared through medical or how long it took to get cleared through medical?

Last edited:

omiller83

Newcomer
Nov 3, 2008
Thats great man, by chance do you remember when you got cleared through medical or how long it took to get cleared through medical?
Super fast! I had an active class 2 prior to this application process. I don’t know if that helped much for my case.

Medical Exam - 11/28/2017
Drug Test - 11/28/2017
All clear from HR - 12/14/2017

swiftsword

Newcomer
Apr 8, 2012
Timeline:

Sep 28: TOL
Oct 27: CIL
Oct 30: Advised via email my current security clearance is valid
Nov 7: Physical
Nov 8: Drug Test
Nov 13: MMPI-2

I contacted HR on Nov 28th asking if they received my medical clearances and this was their reply:
Nov 29: Email from HR:

"Only clearance I have so far is your security.
Usually takes 2 to 3 months from date of physical to be cleared by medical if all went well.
MMPI & drug test are part of physical so won’t know until approved or dis approved.
Once all clearances are in ATO takes about 2 to 3 weeks to review your file & then they’ll send you a list of facilities to choose from."

twinottercmk

Newcomer
Aug 14, 2013
I know it's super premature to ask this sort of question, but is there any "facility swapping" allowed once final destinations are determined? If in the event people would even want this to take place...

omiller83

Newcomer
Nov 3, 2008
I know it's super premature to ask this sort of question, but is there any "facility swapping" allowed once final destinations are determined? If in the event people would even want this to take place...
Not that I’ve seen. Just knock it a couple years at the undesirable place and ERR to a place you’d like. Hope that facility will let you go though.