Are CTI schools fair?

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Any thoughts, please!

I have seen so many people spend 2 years of their time and money on the CTI program. However, most schools won't allow students to take the AT-SAT first, before they spend their money to go through the program to find out they got an 85 or below. My school won't allow students to take the AT-SAT until their last semester. Did any other schools do the same? I bet if schools were required to give the AT-SAT before students enroll in the program, more than half of them would end their CTI program! Is this an FAA rule or the schools?

GolfJuliet

'Merica
Oct 29, 2009
Re: Are CTI schools really fair?

You have to be able to apply for the job in order to take the AT-SAT. In order to apply you have to meet your schools requirements for completing(the FAA regulates this as well) their CTI program so you can get the job code to apply. Does that make sense?

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA

You have to be able to apply for the job in order to take the AT-SAT. In order to apply you have to meet your schools requirements for completing(the FAA regulates this as well) their CTI program so you can get the job code to apply. Does that make sense?
I guess I did the right thing by going pubnat first, getting my score, then doing the CTI program. I just feel for those who went through the CTI program, to find out they got an 84.9 ........Don't these people realize they are making these students put their lives on hold for 2 years. It just seems like an easy way to take candy from a baby! Give me your money, then I'll let you take this test and if you F up, sorry thanks for your hard earned money!!!

liondave

Oct 23, 2009

I didn't study, then got 4 hours of sleep due to a delayed flight and still got a 91 on the AT-SAT. IMO if you take the practice tests then the test is not that hard to get well qualified. I will say that the schools should give you practice tests though.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010

I guess I did the right thing by going pubnat first, getting my score, then doing the CTI program. I just feel for those who went through the CTI program, to find out they got an 84.9 ........Don't these people realize they are making these students put their lives on hold for 2 years. It just seems like an easy way to take candy from a baby! Give me your money, then I'll let you take this test and if you F up, sorry thanks for your hard earned money!!!
welcome to the real world.lol

UNDgrad06

Epic Member
Dec 8, 2010
Peachtree City, GA

Do you take the BAR exam before you go into law school?

The schools is trying to prepare you for an ATC career. I guarantee you that the average CTI score on the ATSAT is much better than the average off-the-street score. When I was going through, most people in my CTI school were scoring in the high 90s.

If these students think schools are screwing them by putting their lives on hold for two years just wait until they have to wait for the FAA for 2-3 years, then have training delays, etc...

hotvedt

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2008

Maybe it has changed but your OTS score will expire and you will have to take the test again. I was going to have to take it over after I got my CTI but got picked up on a VRA slot right after I graduated.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA

Do you take the BAR exam before you go into law school?

The schools is trying to prepare you for an ATC career. I guarantee you that the average CTI score on the ATSAT is much better than the average off-the-street score. When I was going through, most people in my CTI school were scoring in the high 90s.

If these students think schools are screwing them by putting their lives on hold for two years just wait until they have to wait for the FAA for 2-3 years, then have training delays, etc...
You get to take the bar exam as many times as you want! If this was the case for the AT-STAT then I could see your point. I don't believe CTI schools help students in any way to prepare for the AT-SAT. You either have it or you don't! At least when your IN the FAA you have your foot in the door and they are paying you, not taking your money.

flyin_sooner

Trusted Contributor
Mar 23, 2010

When you take the ATSAT as a CTI student is set by the FAA not the CTI school itself. The ATSAT that you go and take during your last semester is paid for by the FAA. I assume that they wait till the last semester because they don't want to pay for everyone that starts and may not finish for one reason or another. So not really up to the CTI schools though I do see your frustration.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA

Maybe it has changed but your OTS score will expire and you will have to take the test again. I was going to have to take it over after I got my CTI but got picked up on a VRA slot right after I graduated.
Your score is good for 3 years and you can apply for an extension. I'm good till 10-23-2012. These schools could at least give some kind of pre-AT-SAT test to let students know if they might want to pick a different career or not, before taking 2 years away for them and their money. The more I think about it, it sounds like a get rich over night infomercial for these schools.

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA

When you take the ATSAT as a CTI student is set by the FAA not the CTI school itself. The ATSAT that you go and take during your last semester is paid for by the FAA. I assume that they wait till the last semester because they don't want to pay for everyone that starts and may not finish for one reason or another. So not really up to the CTI schools though I do see your frustration.
However, the schools don't really care because from what I heard, is a lot of students that score low on the AT-SAT in their last semester, don't finish the program. I don't believe it's up to the FAA, anyone can apply off the street and take the AT-SAT before they join the CTI program.

hotvedt

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2008

Your score is good for 3 years and you can apply for an extension. I'm good till 10-23-2012. These schools could at least give some kind of pre-AT-SAT test to let students know if they might want to pick a different career or not, before taking 2 years away for them and their money. The more I think about it, it sounds like a get rich over night infomercial for these schools.
Yep you can request an extension but you may not get it. They wouldn't give me one or another guy in my class. I got a 91.5 and he had a 100. They didn't give us extensions. I had already scheduled my retake when I got picked up.

Last edited:

RomeoNovember

Senior Analyst
Sep 26, 2009
USA

Yeah you can request an extension but you may not get it. They wouldn't give me one or another guy in my class. I got a 91.5 and he had a 100. They didn't give us extensions. I had already scheduled my retake when I got picked up.
If I scored a 94.2 and they give me a second chance, then I'm ready! Like I said, I'm not to worried about taking it again because I have till 10-2012. The first one was great practice!

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009

It's 100% fair. Going to college to get ANY degree never guarantees a job anywhere, all it is supposed to do is give you a better shot at landing a particular job. CTI programs are no different.

TimShady

Senior Analyst
Mar 12, 2009
Chicago

I assume that they wait till the last semester because they don't want to pay for everyone that starts and may not finish for one reason or another.
This is most likely true. It's not the schools, but the FAA that sets up the AT-SAT for you and they want you to be almost done with CTI because it's an expensive test to administer. Otherwise anyone who even THINKS about CTI had take the test on the FAA's dime and see how they do.

Beside's, it's not exactly a hard test anyway. I've never known anyone that failed it and only a handful that got a Qualified score. Most get WQ.

flyin_sooner

Trusted Contributor
Mar 23, 2010

Like mbalunda said any time you go to school for any degree you are taking a calculated risk. This risk is associated with the job market, tests required for the job, and your degree of choice. Long story short it's up to you to make the decision. Luckily we have sites such as this that allow us to get as much info as possible to make these decisions.

deltabravo89

Senior Analyst
Mar 11, 2010

my CTI school told us straight up about the ATSAT, on the first day of class. our computer lab was set up with practice ATSAT tests and we could go in there anytime we wanted, at any hour of the day, to go practice. so the people that failed...i do not have any pity for.

CTI schools are 100% fair.

flyin_sooner

Trusted Contributor
Mar 23, 2010

my CTI school told us straight up about the ATSAT, on the first day of class. our computer lab was set up with practice ATSAT tests and we could go in there anytime we wanted, at any hour of the day, to go practice. so the people that failed...i do not have any pity for.

CTI schools are 100% fair.
At OU they told us about the ATSAT and recommended that we all get the green book and begin studying. We were in no way surprised that we had to take this test when our last semester rolled around.

arg3b

Feb 16, 2009
Memphis, TN
Like some people have stated, the CTI schools have no say on when and where the AT-SAT is given. Graduation date is used to determine who gets to take the AT-SAT, and the FAA determines who is eligible to take the exam based on these graduation dates. Students are supposed to be taking the AT-SAT one year before they graduate but the FAA has gotten away from this, and my guess is this is due to budget constraints. However, Ive heard the FAA is going to get back to this method.

thirtythree

May 24, 2011
A CTI degree isn't comparable to other college degrees, not even close. With, say, a business degree, you have the potential to get hired by almost any company in America if they like you and want to hire you. If you get a music degree you could join any symphony, give lessons, compose your own scores, etc.

With a CTI degree there is one, exactly one employer who might hire you. If you don't get a WQ score then that number becomes zero employers. You have completely wasted your time and money at that point and have every right to be angry.

The FAA currently pays for the ATSAT proctors, a private company working for a contract, to administer the test to students who are near graduating. Why not just give people the option to pay for their own ATSAT before they even start the degree? That would solve so many problems and save so many people so much money that I'm amazed they refuse to do it.

Instead you've got many schools that are full to the brim with students having to turn away people in droves because they don't have enough room for them in classrooms. Either that or they overfill the classes and the quality of everyone's education suffers. The schools are also admitting some students that have absolutely no business in ATC and who are taking the seats of people who do, congesting things even further.

tldr-Let people pay for and take their ATSAT whenever they want just like any other aptitude exam!