Army ATC (15Q)

whegner

Aug 24, 2009
Not to knock the Army here but from what Pedro is telling you and from what I've heard from a former Army controller I know it's a real crap shoot. If you want an ATC career without going the CTI route join the Air Force. If you want an ATC career via the military join the Marines. I believe the Corps still offers ATC in the reserves which means you'll go active duty for about 18 months after basic to attend "A" school in Pensacola and then go to a stateside Marine Corps Air Station for OJT. No guarantee you'll go tower right away but you will get an MOS in ATC and will be able to eventually get a CTO.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
I understand Army is by far the least opportunistic, but I can't wait any longer to try to get into this career field. I've thought about going Army, then attending a CTI school for two years to get a degree with the college credits I already have. There are opportunities to be had in any branch, I have a friend in Iraq that is Army ATC and will be sent by his unit to get a CTO. I've waited as long as I can, it's time to take action

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
I just graduated CTI from FSCJ, I enlisted in the FL ARNG as a 15Q and I am shipping to training in January. My unit is based at Camp Blanding in Northern FL. They have a Control Tower there where I will obtain my CTO while waiting to get hired from my CTI recommendation. This is what I would recommend you do if you are considering a career in ATC there is no better/faster way to get there than a CTI school and being a 15Q certified or not will only help you get there. The CTO only allows you to expand your GeoPrefs from 2 to 4.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
John, I'll prob see you at Rucker. I'll be shipping out January. Did you do a two or four year CTI program

hotvedt

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2008
I just graduated CTI from FSCJ, I enlisted in the FL ARNG as a 15Q and I am shipping to training in January. My unit is based at Camp Blanding in Northern FL. They have a Control Tower there where I will obtain my CTO while waiting to get hired from my CTI recommendation. This is what I would recommend you do if you are considering a career in ATC there is no better/faster way to get there than a CTI school and being a 15Q certified or not will only help you get there. The CTO only allows you to expand your GeoPrefs from 2 to 4.
Except a CTO opens doors to contractors. So a CTO with experience behind it is kind of a big deal. I would recommend somewhere that has more fixed wing than helicopters if can pick.

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
John, I'll prob see you at Rucker. I'll be shipping out January. Did you do a two or four year CTI program

2yr AS from FSCJ but I have a Bachelor's in Aeronautics from ERAU in 2007. Just never got picked up as a pilot.

Do you ship to Basic in Jan or AIT?

haystack510

Feb 14, 2009
Fremont, CA
I joined the Marines and got 2 cto's overseas and one in the US. Really depends on timing and where your stationed at and the needs of your unit.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
@ John, I just enlisted Friday. Leave for basic training Feb 6. So I'll be @ AIT in April. Keep in contact if you can, be nice to have someone go through the same experience.

Buchanan3514

Newcomer
Feb 7, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
This has been a lot of good information. I enlisted in the Guard in Indiana last month, but still waiting on any kind of information about/from my unit. I'm prior service Marine Corps. on the Crash Crew side. I'm set up for 15Q, but I've not been able to find out a whole lot about the specifics about what comes next. I'll be honest I don't know a whole lot about the controller process, be it military or civilian, just trying to find some more information on the process as a whole. I likely won't ship out to Rucker until sometime late summer early fall due to school commitments. From there I'm planning on going Professional Flight Technology at Purdue which has a CTI option.

If anyone can point me towards any additional information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
I just got to Rucker last week. Its really laid back in comparison to BCT.

@Buchanan3514 AIT here for 15Q is 18 weeks and 2 Days from the day you start class. However 15Q classes dont start that often they have to wait until they have enough students to fill the class in order to start. Also make sure that you have some kind of entertainment on your hands ie Laptop, Xbox, or Lots of books. There is a lot of down time before you start class and even once you are in class b/c we are here for so long. In AIT you will learn the basics of ATC and get your CTO certification which is good enough to make application to the FAA. If you are prior service they might stick you in the MOS-T section which would be really nice for you. They pretty much do their own thing and just have to go to classes. The rest of us who are just starting our military careers are stuck all together. Other than that like I said AIT is pretty laid back. PT 5 days a week and the longer you are here the more privelages you earn such as Weekend passes and being able to wear civilian clothes when not during the duty day. I will be here all summer so if you have any other ?s feel free. If I can answer them I will.

purpletw

Trusted Member
Dec 14, 2010
In AIT you will learn the basics of ATC and get your CTO certification which is good enough to make application to the FAA. QUOTE]

Ummmmm.....I don't think this is true. AIT is your technical training. Right?

sharkey21

Rookie
Jan 18, 2012
You don't receive your CTO in Army 15Q AIT. You do take a CTO exam that doesn't qualify you for a FAA job. It is just like any other service after school house you are sent to your first unit and if you are lucky you may be assigned to a tower and receive your actual CTO.

TomOZR

Rookie
Jun 17, 2008
Looking for a little info...Who instructs at the Army ATC School? Are they Military, DOD Civilian, or Contractors? If they are contract instructors, who has the contract? Thanks, Tom/OZR

Brew

Jun 20, 2008
They have had GS 1712 slots there in the past. Here's a link from a previous announcement that was uploaded to Stuck Mic: http://www.stuckmic.com/dod-employment/4952-atc-instructor-ft-rucker.html

I believe they may also employ contractors as I seem to remember a recent posting on indeed.com. USA Jobs GS-1712 search and Indeed.com search for exact phrase "air traffic" are your best bets. I've found by leaving off "control" you have to weed through more positions but you find some good ones that you might not have otherwise picked up. Good hunting.