Army National Guard ATC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcofly10

Newcomer
Nov 6, 2013
Looking for some advice on this...Wondering if the Army National Guard ATC position (15Q-MOS) is a worthwhile job to have and if it can help transition to the FAA? And how or which units can you go to get a CTO rating? Appreciate all feedback.

nhstadt

Epic Member
Mar 24, 2011
south "Murica
Man, its tough to get any kind of real worthwhile rating in the ARNG without going on a deployment. From what I understand, AF reserves is the way to go if you want to go the part time route.

riceroni87

Dec 2, 2012
Milwaukee
I was ARNG ATC in Texas. Some units may offer a CTO program. Some units like Tennessee have sent controllers to Ft. Rucker in the past. Most likely you will need to go on a deployment. I got my first CTO at KHLR as a weekend warrior, then got 3 more in Iraq later on.

flybyfive

Jul 23, 2011
Most 15Q slots are assigned to ADAM cells, which have nothing to do with ATC. You'll coordinate w artillery so they can clear airspace to fire, and that's about it. You can try to deploy w an AOB (airfield ops battalion), but I've tried twice and no luck. Go AF if you want to do ATC

john

Rookie
Feb 1, 2011
The problem with Army ATC in general is that the majority of units are setup to be tactical meaning there are very few opportunities to get a CTO. As stated above deployment with the ARNG is about the only way to get any rating at all but especially a CTO. What state are you looking at to join in? That will make a big difference in that there are 2 types of ATC units in the ARNG. Airfield Operations Battalions (AOB) and Fox Companies who are attached to a Combat Aviation Brigade. Supposedly, (you will learn if you do join the army to take everything you hear with a grain of salt) the AOB's will no longer be deploying to combat zones however will possibly be taking 1 year tours to places like Korea and Egypt. The Fox Co are starting to take over more of the roll in the combat zones. So with that said you may want to take that into consideration as well as you look for a unit to enlist with.

Status
Not open for further replies.