Article 30 Prenatal/Infant Care Interpretation

liveatc66

Dec 21, 2018
The question is, This article allows 6 month of uninterrupted leave, but can i interrupt the leave myself and take it intermittently. Anyone know for sure how is this interpreted per the contract. I have gotten multiple answers, one being once you come back to work, you are no longer eligible for the Article 30 leave, meaning if i just take 2 weeks in January and come back to work i am no longer entitle to the rest of the 6 months. Others have said, agency cannot interrupt my leave but i can, therefore as long as i give them advance notice i can take leave up to 6 months intermittently. Below is the Article per the contract

Section 1. When employees request, they shall receive an uninterruptedperiod of leave for up to six (6) months for prenatal/infant care needs,including infant adoption.Section 2. Subject to staffing and workload, when employees request, theyshall be entitled to leave for an additional three (3) months forprenatal/infant care, including infant adoption. Employees onprenatal/infant care leave under this Section are subject to recall to duty 93with thirty (30) days notice, when unforeseen staffing and workloadnecessitate a return to duty.Section 3. The leave afforded employees in this Article is in addition tothe leave entitlements contained in Article 26, Section 5.The provisions of this Article shall not run concurrently with FMLA. Theemployee shall determine in what order he/she will utilize the provisionscontained within this Article and Article 26, Section 5.Section 4. During the period of leave under this Article, the employee maychoose how and in what order such absence will be recorded: sick leave,annual leave, and/or LWOP, to the extent that annual and/or sick leave isavailable. Advance sick leave may not exceed thirty (30) days.Section 5. During the period of leave under this Article, retirement, timein-gradecoverage, health benefits, and life insurance benefits will becontinued to the extent permitted by applicable law and regulation.Section 6. To the extent staffing and workload permit, employees shall be allowed to work part-time to accommodate prenatal/infant care needs.Section 7. The entitlements to leave within this Article shall be amaximum period of nine (9) months. The total entitlements containedwithin this Article shall conclude no later than twelve (12) months fromthe date of the birth of the child or the date of the infant adoption.Section 8. The provisions of this Article shall apply to each instance ofchildbirth or infant adoption.

altonb2

Jan 23, 2014
Pensacola, Fl
I'm currently on A30 time, and I didn't take it all at once. I'm not sure if youre at a big facility, but I just told my sup I wanted these days off for my child and it was approved. I don't have to pull out the contract or anything.

liveatc66

Dec 21, 2018
Appreciate the reply but unfortunately my supervisor is not nice as yours to put it kindly and that's why it would help to know the intent of this article. It's amazing how things are written black and white but management interprets in a way that doesn't benefit you

I'm currently on A30 time, and I didn't take it all at once. I'm not sure if youre at a big facility, but I just told my sup I wanted these days off for my child and it was approved. I don't have to pull out the contract or anything.

altonb2

Jan 23, 2014
Pensacola, Fl
Sorry I'm not sure how to help with that one. If you were using sick leave for any of it you you use A25 section 3 paragraph a. If all else fails I'd grieve it and send it up the chain to your RVP. Another buddy of mine just used A26 and covered his leave with sick leave instead of going on LWOP status.