Article 67 Question - Training

Jan 23, 2009
Iowa
Okay, so here is the direct quote from the Red Book Article 67, Section 3:

"If an employee's developmental training is interrupted for thirty (30) days or more, the employee shall be granted sufficient training time to attain the level of proficiency he/she had at the time of the interruption, prior to the resumption of the remaining allotted training hours. The employee's evaluations and/or training reports shall be used by the Agency to determine when the employee's former level of proficiency has been re-attained."

I had my training suspended for nearly 60 days back in October/November 2011. It then got re-instated. I was given 10 hours of what I guess you could call "Free Time" to get back up to the level I was at, before they started the clock on my remaining allotted training hours.

Just today, I talked to a FACREP at another facility where I am trying to ERR to. After explaining my whole situation to him, he asked me how many hours I was given to get back up to speed. I told him "10." He told me that I should have been given 50 hours (or maybe he said up to 50 hours, I can't remember), of "free time" before they start the clock again. So of course I went and looked this up in the Red book, but I don't see anywhere where it says a specific number of hours that are to be given.

Any thoughts on this? Please, I'm not looking from guesses from people who don't know what they're talking about (no offense), but a real answer from either a union facrep on here or at least a union member. Maybe the "50 hours" is just for his specific facility. Thoughts???

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Tough stuff. Since nothing is defined, ... Yikes. Imo a full week or two of training, regardless of the hours (with at least 2hrs per day) seems appropriate.

To get 10 hrs, which they can waste on garbage time.. seems jacked up. I'm sure you could file a grievence against management for more time. We had a girl who's training failures were poorly documented, so she ended up getting every hour back, 100% fresh.

But, and this is harsh reality. If management/your training team, thinks you won't make it and are wasting their time (and some trainers will Def make this call and tell ur/their boss)... Then I could see them only giving u low hrs to get up to spee d, because they WANT to wash u.

netlaws

Newcomer
Aug 13, 2009
Being told that you had 10 hours was absolutely not the proper response. I have been involved as a trainer in an enroute center with more than one instance when my trainee had his or her training interrupted. When training was resumed we had a training team meeting with the trainers, the trainee and the FLM and it was made clear that there was no specific number. The FLM ( I have been involved with different FLMs at different times ) left it to the training team to come up with a concensus as to when the trainee was back to the previous level. Periodically the FLM would check in and we would give him an update. We never had a problem but I was blessed to have both good trainees and reasonable FLMs. I do not know what recourse you would have now that you are back in training but I would bring it up with both management and your union rep as soon as possible.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
I'm a local FACREP. You should have been given an undefined number of hours to get back to the performance level you were at prior to having your training put on hold. If management gave you 10 then your FACREP should have stepped in and said something about it. If your FACREP knew and went with it then you may have been given the short end of the stick.

Either way, if this pause in training occurred close to your max training hours and you find yourself in a TRB then be sure to bring this up.

All that being said, every developmental/CPC-IT's training scenario is different and is handled different, but the way the book reads you should have been allotted more than 10 hours, period.

RFDATM

Trusted Contributor
Nov 27, 2009
IL
might want to check the national training order for references to this situation, especially prior to a TRB

Cwalden

Newcomer
Apr 7, 2012
There is no defined amount of hours. The controlling language is in the contract and there is nothing about a break in training in the 3120.4. They are required to use your previous training reports to ensure you are back to where you were. If you are going to a TRB this can be brought up at this time. The TRB is a training review to ensure you received opportunities for success and if done correctly shouldn't matter if they think you can't certify. You need to talk to your rep about your concerns.

Radium

Epic Member
Jan 14, 2009
Maybe he was so bad that after 10 hrs he was caught.up to his previous level of bad, hence why he didn't need more time