Asheville - KAVL

zachoe

Dec 25, 2009
Purgatory, USA
Does/has anyone worked at Asheville? It's a beautiful area and I'd be curious to know a little about what it's like to work traffic there. It's only a level six, so it seems like a good place to start out. How's the TRACON? Type of equipment? Work environment, complexity, type of traffic, etc., or anything useful. I'd imagine they're probably at capacity staffing-wise, but if anyone knows anything different--or anything at all--I'd appreciate it.

oozero

Dec 15, 2009
Bump! Thought I would let you guys know I am headed to Asheville, I got my class date for March 12. Is there anything that I can/should do to prepare for my arrival?

gmanatc97

Rookie
May 3, 2010
Montgomery AL
Be ready and willing to train. Its real important to show up here ready to learn and have a positive attitude. If you need any info on the area, let me know.

davidcase

Newcomer
Jun 13, 2013
Diego Garcia, BIOT
Being from AVL I would love to work there since you probably know the exisiting job market is kind of rough unless you're in health care or hospitality. I will be getting out of the Navy in July 2014 so I'm waiting on the next announcements to push but my big concern is wether or not AVL is the kind of place you go on a new hire pick up? I'll take what I get but if I apply in NC I don't really want to end up in Greensboro or Fayettville.

StuSEL

Aug 23, 2009
You know where.
I will be getting out of the Navy in July 2014 so I'm waiting on the next announcements to push but my big concern is wether or not AVL is the kind of place you go on a new hire pick up?
It's a Level 6, so new hires almost definitely go there. If it were a 9 or higher that might be a different story.

RomeoCharlieAVL

Newcomer
Mar 15, 2012
If you all have any AVL questions you can message me, I would be glad to answer anything... Its fun and challenging with our MVAs and random spurts of pretty decent traffic. I am sure when the academy opens up they will be hiring some, we are having a lot of people moving on up and out.

fait622

Newcomer
Oct 22, 2012
I found out last week that I am being redirected to KAVL. I should be starting at the academy sometime early February. My wife is a UNCA alum so we are very excited to be moving back up to the mountains. Anyone still around that works there?

DirtyUp

Newcomer
Aug 25, 2011
Bumping this up. I'm interested in KAVL and I'm curious if anyone has anything to add to what has been said considering the last post was over 3 years ago.